IGNORED

Recommend a cheap and good coaxial cable for DVD player to HTS Receiver

The normal audio/video RCA cable can also double up as a coaxial cable? Never realised could do that.......

Thinking abt belden or canare, those thats made by LHS from SLS.

Those cables are also co-ax cables. Use the yellow video RCA cable. Thats gonna have wider bandwidth than the red/white audio cable.

Its simple and free...... no reason not to try it.

If the sound is good, great & stick with it! Else look for other more expensive cables.

Least this free cable sets the price benchmark! ;D ;D

Guest jonlee

belden:

1506A, $9/m

1695A, $12/m

1694A, $4/m

Add $14 for 2 canare 75 ohm RCA crimp plug. Price are estimate, but should not deviate much. However, please don't ask me which is better. Even though I have all three, but never bother to do A/B test.

Cheap enough?

For canare, if CH Yeow still got spare, he will be able to sell to u at very good price. :)

Guest jonlee

89259 is $9/m.

I have that as well...but again, no A/B test.

Personally, I'm using 1695A as the digital interconnect between DVDP and receiver. A very long 1695A...9m.

You can use the 1694A or 1695A. Performance wise, 1694 is slightly better than 1695. The 1695 will offer about poorer response due to compromises to obtain Plenum rating :)

The reason why 1695 is much more expensive is for Plenum rating. Unless u think you Plenum rating is important, 1694A will offer slightly better performance since no restriction on fire rated insulation. 1694 & 1695 are same cables, just that one is Plenum rated. Besides, 1695A tolerance is not as tight at 1694A.

Don't be fooled by the price.

Comparing Plenum rated 1506 and 1695, go for the latter. Better performance due to design. 1506 is RG-59, 1695/1694 is RG-6.

If you are feeling rich, use 7916A. Its double shielded, double braided version of 1694A. Better noise immunity due to extra shield.

Alternatively, use 7731 or 7732. Even better performance due to less loss. For long run, use 7731/7732 or next best is 1694/1695.

IMO for high video fidelity, RG-59 (1506A) is good for no more than 4m.

RG-6 (1694/5) is better all round than 1506 with longer reach.

RG-11 is good for anything above 30m. Connectors used are not standard BNC/RCA anymore.

I personally run s-video for 10m via 1694.

Go for 1694/5 for your digital cable. Should give u as good quality as hi-fi boutique cable at a fraction of the price.

Before crimping, remember to use IPA for cleaning. Then use silver solder to seal the crimp. Then clean soldered joint with IPA to remove excess flux. Use canare RCAs always to ensure true 75ohm connection.

I advise to use just enough cable length for digital cables. Too long will distort digital signal. Same goes for video, but sometimes, no choice. :'(

yes, 2 x 10m runs for long distance s-video cabling. ;D ;D

One each for Y & C signal. I make the breakout cable myself. My DIY splitter can get much better quality splitting than custom made ones due better soldering techniques as discussed above.

For digital audio (I assume you are referring to this and not video), I have tried some Belden incl 1694A, 7731A, 9259, 1530A, two from Canare. Some also from the audiophile world from vdH and MIT.

But my all time preference, irrespective of price, is Mogami 2964 terminated with Neutrik ProFi rca plugs.

For digital audio (I assume you are referring to this and not video), I have tried some Belden incl 1694A, 7731A, 9258, 1530A, two from Canare. Some also from the audiophile world from vdH and MIT.

But my all time preference, irrespective of price, is Mogami 2964 terminated with Neutrik ProFi rca plugs.

Any idea which shop in Sg can I find Mogami 2964 and Neutrik ProFi RCA plugs? Like to try this out...

rgds,

ed

Hmm...

Using the Belden 89259 coupled with Neutrik Pro-fi plugs..

wonder if I can un-solder and change to that Mogami cable or not.. The soldering was done way back by the kind uncle @ LHS.

And by the way, how much is it, and where to get it?

• 2 weeks later...

$2-3 per metre IF you can find it. The last I heard Team108 has no stock.

Do they sell to people on the street who would mostly require 5 to 10 metres? Feel like calling to check if there is stock...

The spec for the Mogami 2964 is not very good as compare to the Belden 1694 or even 89259. The attenuation for 10mhZ for the Mogami is 1.9db/100ft. While the Belden 1694A is 0.72db/100ft. 1695A is 0.75db/100ft. Even 89259 is better @ 0.9db/100ft.

For long runs (>5m) digital or video applications, this is important as the losses/length in Mogami 2964 is very high when compare to Belden.

Not a fan of Mogami when it comes to video, prefer Belden (dvd) and Canare (ld). But for digital audio, just find Mogami to be that extra bit better than the rest, irrespective of price.

Before crimping, remember to use IPA for cleaning. Then use silver solder to seal the crimp. Then clean soldered joint with IPA to remove excess flux. Use canare RCAs always to ensure true 75ohm connection.

I advise to use just enough cable length for digital cables. Too long will distort digital signal. Same goes for video, but sometimes, no choice. :'(

Hi Jag,

Where can I find silver solder and crimpers for such connectors? Any rough gauge how much these things costs? Forgive my ignorance, what's IPA? Thanks :D

Silver solder = solder with silver to minimise signal distortion; normal solder contains 60% tin and 40% lead. Not very good conductors since they introduce distortion due to increased resistance. I saw them in SLS. I think its $10/m.

Crimpers..... go get them from SLT. $60 for a proper crimper. Cheaper ones from China not very good. Inconsistant crimps.

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol. This alcohol is residue free when it evaporates. Its not the same as those video head sprays. Those leaves residue. Look under a microscope and you'll understand why IPA is used in cleaning optical fiber connectors.

I've not been able to find IPA on the shelves. Its useful, yet rare to find