E.T. DVD special features revealed at last.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u might be interested to know:

An E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set (which will include the original 1982 theatrical version, the 2002 theatrical version, a bonus supplemental disc, a CD soundtrack, a complete script, and a collectible senitype) will be available for US$69.98. Universal will offer E.T. The Extra Terrestrial for a limited 10 week window after which the title will be put on indefinite moratorium.

The younger folks here might find ET a bit "dated", being a 20 year old movie. The re-release is just to cash in to rake up additional bucks.

OK during its time, but for audiences wowed by recent Special Effects, E.T. might prove to be a bit of a yawn.

Good for older folks, brings back memories, but personally, I won't bother about Ultimate Collectors Gift sets. My advice is to see the movie first, before spending unnecessary money on such Gift sets.

This is a "feel-good" movie, but definitely not an action-type.

Personally, I like this movie, but I just felt that for the younger set, it may be a bit slow-moving and dated. Well, if many found Ep II Attack of the Clones slow-moving in parts, this movie would be even slower-moving.

But still, different people have different tastes. Its just that the younger folks here should not have too many high hopes for this movie to avoid disappointment. Notice how they only focus on the boy riding in the sky with the moon in the background. Other parts move at a snail's pace, so better be warned !

Guest Jerry

Seems like the Collector's Gift Set is THE version to buy, considering that it contains the original theatrical version. August is becoming yet another expensive month. :'(

Guest Jerry

I thought there was already a Collector's Edition 2 disc set with both versions? ???

Don't feel the need to spend over S$100 for ET.

Read this:

At long last, the Steven Spielberg opus E.T. The Extra Terrestrial is coming to DVD with a few nice surprises and a few catches. Three versions of one of the highest grossing films of all time are coming home this fall, but only for a limited time.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is the heart-warming family classic from director Steven Spielberg. When an alien is inadvertently left behind on earth, he finds refuge with youngster Elliot. As Elliot and E.T. bond as friends, it soon becomes clear that E.T. must find his way home before government officials capture him for study. Together, E.T, Elliot, and Elliot's family and friends help reunite E.T. with his spaceship.

Two regular versions of the film will be available, one in fullscreen and one in anamorphic widescreen. Both DVDs will feature only the 2002 enhanced version of the film. Other features will include an introduction by Steven Spielberg, new cast interviews and deleted scenes. Also 20 Years Later with Steven Spielberg featurette, John Williams Live Orchestra Segment an isolated score, Space Exploration - A high-tech 3-D interactive journey into space to learn about the planets in our solar system, The Evolution of E.T. documentary, a reunion featurette, and the E.T. archives. DVD-ROM features are also included.

For more die-hard fans, or just those who want the original version of the film, will be a special two-disc set which includes both the original theatrical cut and the new directors cut as well as a bonus soundtrack CD, a script from the original feature and a collectible senitype.

Like all previous releases of E.T. on VHS and laserdisc however, there is a catch. While the DVD will be available on October 22nd, the film will only be available for a ten week period, after which the disc will be pulled from the market. The regular edition will be priced at $22.95 while the special edition is $69.98.

That means the Limited Collector's Edition will not contain the original theatrical cut. Only the Ultimate Collector's Gift Set contains this cut on a separate disc.

Guest Jerry

I think I will go and watch the movie first then decide want to buy or not.

U mean u have not seen this Spielberg classic? :o

if u r a collector and have $$, get the expensive set.

Err ..... collect for what ?

Let your grandchildren inherit, or just another dust collector 6 mths later ? :P

Now which version to buy... :-\

If you are a die-hard fan of the movie and also Spielberg's fan, go for the Ultimate Collector's Edition. After all, this movie is a definite classic. IMHO, it is worth collecting as the movie is one of the Spielberg's finest movie and also considering one of the extras which is worth collecting, the John Williams' live orchestra perfomance (featurette and isolated track).

Guest Jerry

Now which version to buy... :-\

If you are a die-hard fan of the movie and also Spielberg's fan, go for the Ultimate Collector's Edition. After all, this movie is a definite classic. IMHO, it is worth collecting as the movie is one of the Spielberg's finest movie and also considering one of the extras which is worth collecting, the John Williams' live orchestra perfomance (featurette and isolated track).

But the Ultimate Collector's Edition will not have the original theatrical cut. Better get the Ultimate Gift Set lah...hehee. ;D

Guest Jerry

Let your grandchildren inherit, or just another dust collector 6 mths later ? :P

Maybe he meant those people who liked this movie. I have the LD since my secondary sch/JC days and I have seen it many times. The movie never failed to bring a smile and a sense of nostalgia to me. The scene when ET and Elliot flew on the bike over the moon, together with the rousing music score, always captivates me. My eyes always get moisty when ET says bye bye to his friends.

Anyway, this Ultimate Gift Set is a definite keeper becoz it contains both the new and original version, plus tons of extras. Moreover, it's only available for 10 weeks. I'm gonna relive my childhood moments again in Oct. ;)

Maybe he meant those people who liked this movie. I have the LD since my secondary sch/JC days and I have seen it many times. The movie never failed to bring a smile and a sense of nostalgia to me. The scene when ET and Elliot flew on the bike over the moon, together with the rousing music score, always captivates me. My eyes always get moisty when ET says bye bye to his friends.

Anyway, this Ultimate Gift Set is a definite keeper becoz it contains both the new and original version, plus tons of extras. Moreover, it's over available for 10 weeks. I'm gonna relive my childhood moments again in Oct. ;)

definitely,Ultimate Gift Set is a keep but the price is a bit steep. Maybe I am getting Ultimate Gift Set, maybe another version. 10 weeks to decide ;D