Jump to content

WTB: Monoblocks high output power amps - Byston 28B3/7B3, Simaudio 880M, AVM MA 8.2, McIntosh MC 1.25Kw, Plinius SA Reference


Recommended Posts

Item: High output quality Monoblock power amps required
Price Range: Market Value
Item Condition: New or Used in excellent condition.
Extra Info: I require a substantial increase in power to drive my 85dB sensitivity 400w Dynaudio Consequence UE speakers. My McIntosh MC452 just doesn't cut it and the advice from other owners is to feed them way more power than l currently have to make them sing. I'm willing to look at any potential offerings and pay accordingly to correct this shortfall of driving power. I simply want to hear these speakers finally perform and demonstrate their full potential that l'm obviously missing. Any high power amp owners out there even contemplating upgrading or down sizing please feel free to contact me to share your thoughts and welcome advice.

 

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would scratch Mcintosh off that list. If the MC452 isn't doing the job I don't think a larger horsepower Mcintosh would do it either. They just don't deliver power into lower impedance's and your speakers dip below 3 ohms.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kelossus said:

I would scratch Mcintosh off that list. If the MC452 isn't doing the job I don't think a larger horsepower Mcintosh would do it either. They just don't deliver power into lower impedance's and your speakers dip below 3 ohms.

 

 

Agreed I’d look at amps that handle low impedance well more than high output. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of Musical Fidelity 750KW Superchargers that I was going to list shortly.  They can be used as power amps as well as superchargers.  750W into 8 ohms, over a 1000 into 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You might have a look at the ME1500 that was for sale a few weeks ago.

If you need current they have it in spades.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gremrock said:

Agreed I’d look at amps that handle low impedance well more than high output. 

Agreed, if the speakers dip below 4ohms then current may be required more so than voltage from an amp. Most high power amps struggle with loads below 4ohm which in turn increases distortion when the speaker dips in load at certain frequencies.

Edited by Rori
Link to post
Share on other sites

If larger bigger amps or monos can’t drive better, what can, guys? It does not make sense to me, monos with double transformers and capacitors are typically designed for more load demand rather than just two fancy boxes , what is the point to have two big transformer vs one in Mc452?

 

mcintosh mc1.25kw monos deliver 1200w at 2ohm load. I have Gauder Akustik Cassiano mk2 that drops to 1.8ohm and Mcintosh Mc462 does an excellent to deal with this problem. So mc1.25kw or Mc611 monos would be a real improvement, just not many people sell them

Edited by ikhuong
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ikhuong said:

If larger bigger amps or monos can’t drive better, what can, guys? It does not make sense to me, monos with double transformers and capacitors are typically designed for more load demand rather than just two fancy boxes , what is the point to have two big transformer vs one in Mc452?

 

mcintosh mc1.25kw monos deliver 1200w at 2ohm load. I have Gauder Akustik Cassiano mk2 that drops to 1.8ohm and Mcintosh Mc462 does an excellent to deal with this problem. So mc1.25kw or Mc611 monos would be a real improvement, just not many people sell them

A conventional solid state amp like a 400 watt Krell will have much more authority and control over bass drivers compared to a MC452. I have had both.

 

If the original poster had a 400 watt Krell instead of his MC452 he would not be in the pursuit of more power. Whether he would prefer the tonal differences is for him to decide but the Krell would not lack the power or drive to control those speakers.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rori said:

Agreed, if the speakers dip below 4ohms then current may be required more so than voltage from an amp. Most high power amps struggle with loads below 4ohm which in turn increases distortion when the speaker dips in load at certain frequencies.

 

If the speakers have a low impedance dip and are relatively inefficient (85dB is getting quite low and dynaudio tend to overstate their speaker sensitivity a little) then I would think the OP needs both power and current.

 

I'm biased of course but a Magtech stereo amp or even a set of monoblocks would do the job very nicely :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

 

If the speakers have a low impedance dip and are relatively inefficient (85dB is getting quite low and dynaudio tend to overstate their speaker sensitivity a little) then I would think the OP needs both power and current.

 

I'm biased of course but a Magtech stereo amp or even a set of monoblocks would do the job very nicely :)

 

This is true for the most part.

When you take into account the fact we need roughly 10db increase to perceive a doubling of sound level to our ears and the fact we need to double the power output of an amp to net a 3db increase, it's easy to see the higher current amp is better to negate distortion in most applications though.

For eg, a 250W power amp into 8ohm that can double down to 2ohm with 1000W on tap at 1%THD, would only be behind a 400W into 8ohm power amp by 3db when the speaker is giving an 8ohm load, but if said amp could only net 600W into 4ohm and the same or slightly more, maybe 700W into 2ohm at 1%THD, then amp 1 with 500W into 4ohm is only behind by roughly 1db. Go down to 2 ohm speaker loads and amp 1 surpasses amp 2 with 1000W vs ~700W into 2 ohms. This is of course at equal THD with both amps. If you were to increase the volume though, or have a very dynamic song on, the speakers when below 4 ohms may call for more than 700W at which time amp 1 will have no dramas and amp 2 will have increased distortion to provide the power required. Hence why it's important to know your speaker loads and if your speakers dip below 4 ohms(as the OPs does), the better amp is usually the one that can provide more current at lower loads with lower distortion as opposed to more voltage for increased power at 8 and 4 ohms, but not lower.

I agree that the McIntosh MC1.25KW amps if they can provide that power into 2 ohms would surely be enough juice. Not so much with the MC611's if they can only provide 600W into 2 ohms, it may not be enough juice for an 85db speaker which dips below 4ohm when you want to party!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rori said:

better amp is usually the one that can provide more current at lower loads with lower distortion

Yes, that’s what I meant. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...