Avr upgrade options under 3k, NAD T758 V3i Best option?

I’m looking at upgrading my AVR and wanted some advise, I’ve been running a Denon x2300w in a 5.1 setup for a number of years now but feel like I’m running into the limitations of this unit.

Firstly I upgraded my front and centre speakers late last year and started listening to more music and have found the 2 channel performance a bit lacking particularly bass response at high volume.

Secondly, I was thinking of running a 2nd zone for some large book shelf speakers in another room and as per above feel like power might be an issue if run in parallel.

Third. Lack of features ie pre amp only on rear/zone2 channels,  no trig out for the sub are the main annoyances.

My budget is up to 3k and I was considering the Denon x3700h as this seemed to have the features I need and a bit more power. However the NAD T758 V3i came to my attention and on sale at 2k seems like a better deal or am I off the mark here. Should I be looking at anything else and is a seperate power amp the way to go for my power beyond this.

tldr looking for avr recommendation under 3k for a 5.1 setup for mixed use and running a 2nd zone. With possible power amp addition down the track.

Edited by Garbo

How serious are you about stereo music and what is the mix between music and movies?  If music is important, then suggest getting a stereo integrated with HT bypass.  It is a pity that the Denon X2300W does not have preouts, otherwise all you then need is get the stereo integrated and set up like this.

image.png.938c4d6f9e002827f6fa7396e7bba995.png

I do like the NAD T758V3 and Dirac Live makes stereo acceptable. (However, my standard for stereo is much higher!).  If you want to stick to the " family" and get better music, suggest a Marantz.

Alternately, with your budget, get a used AVR with preouts and a used stereo integrated with HT bypass.

6 hours ago, Garbo said:

My budget is up to 3k and I was considering the Denon x3700h as this seemed to have the features I need and a bit more power. However the NAD T758 V3i came to my attention and on sale at 2k seems like a better deal or am I off the mark here. Should I be looking at anything else and is a seperate power amp the way to go for my power beyond this.

the main issue with nad and check feedback on the specific unit, but even their flagship i have seen multiple reports of bugs and issues. due diligence is necessary and i say this as a nad fan having owned my first receiver/hifi being a nad and having owned nad master series components for some years.

re denon 3700 is it necessary if need only 5.1 ... do you need all bells and whistles it brings hdmi 2.1 etc ? what are your need tech wise...

if just need 5.1 and multizone any  unit in last ten years would do even a denon 4308 ! :D which was a beast and sold back then for $5-$6k ! and peanuts these days..

re 2ch consider a 2ch integrated with ht bypass... denon make beauties in the 1600ne and 2500ne absolutely gorgeous and will integrate seamlessly with most  AVRs to elevate 2ch..

do you need a sub trigger ? most subs wake on signal  

6 hours ago, Garbo said:

Secondly, I was thinking of running a 2nd zone for some large book shelf speakers in another room and as per above feel like power might be an issue if run in parallel.

another option with 2nd zone is keep it really simple with a small but powerful enough integrated or something just running the speakers there  ? or sonos/bluesound/heos or something ? many options now days that dont have to rely on main system ? 

Edited by betty boop
5 hours ago, betty boop said:

the main issue with nad and check feedback on the specific unit, but even their flagship i have seen multiple reports of bugs and issues. due diligence is necessary and i say this as a nad fan having owned my first receiver/hifi being a nad and having owned nad master series components for some years.

re denon 3700 is it necessary if need only 5.1 ... do you need all bells and whistles it brings hdmi 2.1 etc ? what are your need tech wise...

if just need 5.1 and multizone any  unit in last ten years would do even a denon 4308 ! :D which was a beast and sold back then for $5-$6k ! and peanuts these days..

re 2ch consider a 2ch integrated with ht bypass... denon make beauties in the 1600ne and 2500ne absolutely gorgeous and will integrate seamlessly with most  AVRs to elevate 2ch..

do you need a sub trigger ? most subs wake on signal  

another option with 2nd zone is keep it really simple with a small but powerful enough integrated or something just running the speakers there  ? or sonos/bluesound/heos or something ? many options now days that dont have to rely on main system ? 

I do run 4K through the Denon now will use HDR in future so probably can’t go to old, maybe atmos one day but quite happy with 5.1 or a 5.2. The Sonos Amp looked good with a few smart features. guess I was just looking for the best bang for buck.  Do you have experience with t758 if so what issues have you found, my main concern is reliability hence why I’m not considering a Yamaha as I’ve had bad experiences with them

52 minutes ago, Garbo said:

I do run 4K through the Denon now will use HDR in future so probably can’t go to old, maybe atmos one day but quite happy with 5.1 or a 5.2. The Sonos Amp looked good with a few smart features. guess I was just looking for the best bang for buck.  Do you have experience with t758 if so what issues have you found, my main concern is reliability hence why I’m not considering a Yamaha as I’ve had bad experiences with them

hi garbo, not the t758 but with the flagship t778 which i was research for someone and at end of it couldn't recommend and its a myriad of issues folks seem to see. if looking for reliability certainly wouldnt be the choice. more if have a tolerance of these sort of things. which some folks put up with ! 

if just chasing HDR and maybe ad atmos down the track stick to units 2016 onwards will ensure you can handle 4k and also have atmos. if want more future proofing look for 2018 units. also if chasing a more music focus consider marantz as they share denon platform but apply their own efforts to go with their music matters mantra :) 

personally id grab a marantz SR7013 at $3199 reduced down from $5090 ! on run out... if ask nicely am sure they'd do $3k flat :D 

https://hollywoodcinemastore.com.au/sound/receivers-amplifiers/av-receivers/marantz/marantz-sr-7013-av-receiver

bug free and should be way up there in SQ stakes well up on the denon 2 series have now :)  

https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x2300w/usa/marantz-sr7013/usa/

will be in familiar ground wqiht your denon in use and  agood comparison above, looking at quite a step up all around. it also comes with the audyssey xt32 and do purchase the $30 app that goes with it... makes very easy to use :)