Recommend me a microphone for speaker measurements

Janus77

22 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Howdy folks, can anyone recommend a relatively low cost USB microphone i can use to measure response of the speakers i'm building?

Not strictly a measurement mic, but is an omnidirectional condenser with a very flat response.

Behringer C-1U USB Studio Condenser Microphone | USB Microphones - Store DJ

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Thank you, it looks good.

Behringer are great bang-for-buck.

The dedicated USB measurement mics with the ruler-flat response are about double that price.  Still pretty good value compared to what you had to pay for that type of thing a decade or two ago!  Just depends on your budget.

I use the Dayton EMM-6 measurement mic.  But I have a great little ART USB Pre-amp, so I didn't need the mic to have USB built-in.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Thank you, it looks good.

That is not an approriate choice at all.

32 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

I use the Dayton EMM-6 measurement mic.

Something like this microphone design is what you need.

Here is the USB version

https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1116/umm-6-usb-measurement-microphone

...or the MiniDSP Umik is another option.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

Hmm, the measurement microphones are a bit over my budget given the build is coming in only just over $350..  I don't think i'll end up building too many more speakers after this second set.

Will give it some thought.  Thanks for the replies.

44 minutes ago, Janus77 said:

Hmm, the measurement microphones are a bit over my budget given the build is coming in only just over $350..  I don't think i'll end up building too many more speakers after this second set.

The wrong type of microphone will give you data which isn't representative of the speaker .... you'll then design/optimise the speaker based on that data.... and your measurements will tell you "you've done a great job".....  but it won't be ;) 

You could sell the microphone once you're finished.

Edited by davewantsmoore

2 hours ago, Janus77 said:

I expect most DIYers who have a USB measurement mic would have it sitting in a drawer gathering dust most of the time.

Might be worth putting your feelers out to see if another Sydneysider has one you can borrow.

• Like 2

I recently discovered that my Dayton Omnimic (it's pronounced Omni-mike) USB microphone works perfectly for Zoom meetings.

Now there's reason to get it out of the drawer at least 5 times a year!

Good selling point too, perhaps?

• Like 2