Technics SL-1200MK2 - Platter levelling

Hi guys, 

I recently moved into a new property and recently completed re-building my system. The turntable was the last major component to check and re-calibrate if required. The room I have the system in is a spare bedroom, carpet flooring, and the turntable itself is sitting on-top of a small set of drawers which is the perfect size to accomodate the turntable is the vertical orientation, and it is also located directly next to my main desk with the rest of the system components. 

So onto the actual levelling issue I'm dealing with. The set of drawers is as level as I'm going to get it, and obviously the weight of the turntable itself will need further correcting with I can do with the adjustable feet. What is really throwing me off though, is that if I measure from the centre spindle while the platter is idle I see perfect centre, however, when the platter is rotating I'm seeing a lot of off centre. So obviously, if I correct the level at one point in the rotation of the platter it will throw off the original perfect centre I have. 

I have today removed the turntable platter for a quick clean, no liquid just dust/dirt removal and removed and re-attached the turntables rubber bottom to make sure everything was flush which it is. 

Is this a common issue with the SL-1200MK2 platter? And if not, what should I do to correct this and maintain a completely level platter?

I have a pair of Technics SL1200 mk2s plus a new SL1210 mk7

If the bubble of a spirit level is dead centre, when placed in the centre of your turntable, it is hard to see how it could read differently ,at another point on the plater. 

When you say  "if I measure from the centre spindle while the platter is idle I see perfect centre, however, when the platter is rotating I'm seeing a lot of off centre. So obviously, if I correct the level at one point in the rotation of the platter it will throw off the original perfect centre I have".  are you referring to the bubble in a round spirit level. 

Something like this

Thorens Turntable Spirit Level

If so this type of level has only a small amount of room for error. It would be better to start by levelling the set of draws you have placed the turntable on

with a small spirit level like the one below. When you have the draws level in both directions, place the turntable on it and finish off by levelling the turntable, using the adjustment on the feet.

Image 21 - 3 Bubble Mini Magnetic Spirit Level Torpedo Gradienter Aluminium TSQU54303

Edited by EV Cali

If I understand this correctly, the fluid in the bubble level will be being thrown around while the platter is turning.

Maybe I have misunderstood.

• Like 2

Just to clarify:

I have levelled the small drawers with a standard spirit level and chocked up areas that needed correcting with cardboard. The spirit level was showing perfect level at each four sides and centre. With the turntable back on the drawers, I needed slight correction with the feet adjustment to show levelling on all four sides of the bare platter (no slipmat, no record weight), and then a final level check with the spirit level sitting on top of the record weight over the centre spindle.

So again, with the turntable powered off and the spirit level sitting on top of the record weight over the centre spindle, if I slowly rotate the platter by hand I can see the level fluctuate across a full rotation. And if I correct the fluctuation of level at one point in the rotation it will throw off the level at other points in the original process.

Also, there is no visible wobble of the platter or centre spindle.

I've attached some pictures of the levelling, and a YouTube link of the phenomena. 

IMG_1275.thumb.jpeg.db0a2862710f0868b8b757d67d372c5a.jpegIMG_1273.thumb.jpeg.dc795f2e15f25b491e6873f972698b32.jpegIMG_1274.thumb.jpeg.b924f2d2708d1a57fb64af9ff1ae6e22.jpegIMG_1276.thumb.jpeg.8c884352453a9f20a5b2fa91bd024004.jpegIMG_1272.thumb.jpeg.14517ef6843b198bde9c02f112de0599.jpeg

Personally I’d forgo the record clamp for levelling purposes - it’s the platter you want level.  The clamp may not be perfectly centred on the spindle. 
Then I’d use the level to check in both horizontal and vertical and in between if you want. 
If you see any error - reverse the level and check again - just in case your level is slightly off calibration- it can happen. 
when you’ve double checked it’s level in all planes you are good to go.  You could purchase a 2nd level to double check, or use an app on your phone (just make sure if the back of your phone has a raised lip for the camera you don’t have it resting on the lip!). 

1AF0A735-CDB9-4C69-9E65-5B2DE5246085.jpeg

Agree that the clamp could be throwing the spirit level out, as there is no reason for it to perfectly plumb.

This type of level would probably be better.

Lp Vinyl Record Audio Disc Turntable Stabilizer Clamp Aluminum Weight Clamp WH

Once the platter is level (as good as it can be measured with the tools on hand - see sensitivity below). 

Sensitivity is an important specification for a spirit level, as the device's accuracy depends on its sensitivity. The sensitivity of a level is given as the change of angle or gradient required to move the bubble by unit distance. If the bubble housing has graduated divisions, then the sensitivity is the angle or gradient change that moves the bubble by one of these divisions. 2 mm (0.079 in) is the usual spacing for graduations; on a surveyor's level, the bubble will move 2 mm (0.079 in) when the vial is tilted about 0.005 degree. For a precision machinist level with 2 mm (0.079 in) divisions, when the vial is tilted one division, the level will change of 0.0005 in (0.013 mm) one foot from the pivot point, referred to as 5 ten-thousandths per foot.

• Like 1

when i had my sl1200 mk11 i used a similar  level as the red one above,it was a stanley and it was accurate,i would level the turntable as it was sitting on an adjustable base that i made,i would then with the platter stationery  move the tonearm across the platter place tonearm back to original resting position then place the level  across on that same stylus path and check and adjust if necessary. 

Seems the question was asked on the same day, anyway problem has been resolved.

Chris

• Like 1