Gday, I use a Dtech Fibre optic caable between my Oppo 205 and LG Oled for picture. I use a HDMI cable for the sound. 

For some reason, after start up, the tv displays a message, No Signal. 

I have to swith the 205 off, and then back on, to re-establish a signal. 

Has anyone had a similar issue? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Cheers Andrew

HDMI interface is extremely cluncky at best,  and sometimes requires a restart so connecting  components can see each other after there requirements for Handshake.  All depends on what’s required from each component and how the manufacturers set them up ,  once you established their ground rules and know how to minimised there downfalls you minimise the issue of not seeing each other during plug and play.  This will require you to log a case with both LG and Oppo.

• Like 1
On 19/06/2021 at 8:14 PM, falcongtho1968 said:

Gday, I use a Dtech Fibre optic caable between my Oppo 205 and LG Oled for picture. I use a HDMI cable for the sound. 

I have to switch the 205 off, and then back on, to re-establish a signal. 

Cheers Andrew

Shirley, you could use just the HDMI cable to give you picture as well as sound?

Andy

3 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Oppo recommend using one cable for audio and one for display, as a better option. 

Cheers Andrew

Sure - but as this doesn't seem to work ... why not try using just the HDMI cable?

Andy

If I cant sort the issue out with the fibre optic, then I will revert back to that. 

But, fibre optic is purported to be better than normal hdmi cable... 

9 hours ago, falcongtho1968 said:

But, fibre optic is purported to be better than normal hdmi cable... 

Someone whose opinion about these sorts of things, I respect ... told me that the optical fibre itself - is brilliant.  :thumb:  But the converters which go at either end are the problem - no one makes a 'good' one.  :(

Andy

Gday Andy, when you say converters, can you explain that a bit more. 

Im confused, I would think the hdmi connectors would be the same, either fibre optic or standard hdmi cable. 

The 205 or LG wouldn't notice the difference, I would imagine. 

Cheers Andrew

1 hour ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Gday Andy, when you say converters, can you explain that a bit more. 

Im confused, I would think the hdmi connectors would be the same, either fibre optic or standard hdmi cable. 

The 205 or LG wouldn't notice the difference, I would imagine. 

Cheers Andrew

All HDMI cables that I've ever used have copper wires inside them, which carry an electrical signal.  Whereas a fibre-optic cable carries light pulses; at each end of a fibre-optic cable there has to be a converter which converts an electrical signal into light pulses ... and vv.

Andy

So, are consumer electronics, hifi etc, not compatible with fibre optic cable? Are they only useful with computers? 

Cheers Andrew

On 19/06/2021 at 8:14 PM, falcongtho1968 said:

I have to swith the 205 off, and then back on, to re-establish a signal. 

Cheers Andrew

I know nothing about the dtech, but I presume its an "active cable" directional.... and with active cables they are always on. and this in itself can cause all sorts of hangups in the HDCP handshakes that are necessary....

its also possible the cable is faulty ...these do fail, or can fail during installation as they are delicate things 

is this cable fibre only ? or hybrid. i thought hdmi cables were hybrid ie fibre and copper ? I might be wrong as i havent split or cut one open and unlikely to give the cost of these things :D 

what is the length of the cable ? can you just use a standard copper premium certified cable ? these are quite affordable and can get in lengths upto 9.2m ... I'm using one of those myself for my oppo 205 ... as it sits on other side of room to my system...

I also to be honest unsure why you are using two hdmi cables ? one for audio one for picture ? is the OLED not compatible or something ? can you not run the one hdmi to the display ? 

or is there an AVR or something also in play not telling us about ? its also possible that in the mix is also the cause ? as i mentioned if using active cables they are always on and looking up and down the signal path and if anything is not right will fall over... even if not using ! :D  

The cable is fibre optic only, not active, and 5m.

Oppo recommend two cables as a better connection. 

The setup is Denon AVR, OPPO 205,LG oled. 

The signal dropout is sporadic

Just now, falcongtho1968 said:

The cable is fibre optic only, not active, and 5m.

Oppo recommend two cables as a better connection. 

The setup is Denon AVR, OPPO 205,LG oled. 

The signal dropout is sporadic

sorry i dont understand how it is fiberoptic only and not active ? these are usually active cables and directional... they tell you the source and display end...? what is the other cable ? how long and type ? 

i am an oppo 205 owner and i have not seen anything from oppo recommending two cables as a better connection. infact two cables is a minefield... because guess what hdmi by intent intermixes audio and video... you split them and you are not only creating potential hdcp handshake  issues as seeing but also a huge potential for lipsynch issues as the audio and video are now being processed differently by different devices without the link there is usually between them

what is the denon AVR. it is crucial to list this ? as it could be your source ? is this a legacy device what is its hdcp version ?

what is the LG oled ? does this have arc/earc ? 

yes absolutely drop out could be sporadic

at 5m long cable I would not be using a fibre cable. just unnecessary cost and complexity being added.

you can pick up one 5m copper passive premium certified ie certified to work by hdmi.org themselves and only $21.79 and free shipping on prime ? why use fibre when this is available ? 

https://www.amazon.com.au/Monoprice-115430-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B01GCGKFBY/ref=sr_1_1?

if want to use ruipro they even have the copper passive ultrahigh speed cable that is also certified by hdmi.org to work and available at 5m and still cheaper than fibre

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/product/certified/

if the below is the Dtech cable...

DTECH Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 4K At 60Hz 18Gbps 5M

https://www.dtechelectronics.com/dtech-fiber-optic-hdmi-cable-4k-at-60hz-18gbps-5m_p191.html

image.png.f5cd02cd6d5ad8782053aa2b061278e6.png

image.png.fd7097df64d318c5abb65558c5e3b703.png

you will see how the display ends and source ends are labelled... this is how you know its an active cable.

Also it shows the construction of it 

image.png.28f39e95df86a7c6aa7d145e3bdfccce.png

20180518112124_79741.jpg

and as you can say while they call it fibre optic...it is infact a hybrid cable with fibre and copper....

image.png

Denon AVR4500

LG OLED C9

Fibreoptic directional yes

In the 205 manual, Oppo do say one cable for audio and one for display, is a good choice. 

Under a certain length, cables dont have to be active. 

27 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Denon AVR4500

LG OLED C9

Fibreoptic directional yes

with this equipment combination i would be connecting your oppo205 directly to your AVR and then hdmi out from denon to the display.  as the denon being a 2018 unit is fully compliant.... as is your display. and yes the cable you are using is directional. though you havent confirmed what the other cable is ? unless its same again ? 

In the 205 manual, Oppo do say one cable for audio and one for display, is a good choice. 

while this facility is avaialbe... it is there for splitting audio and video where your AVR/processor is not fully compliant ie a legacy unit pre 2016 so not hdmi 2.0a hdcp 2.2 at a minimum. this doesnt apply to you as you have all gear that is hdmi 2.0a /hdcp 2.2 or later.

so please forget about slitting audio and video and seperate hdmi cables... this is causing its own issues...

Under a certain length, cables dont have to be active. 

there is absolutely no need to be using a directional and active cable as you are. I would get rid of these pronto. as can cause own issues with hdcp as active all the time and especially  if splitting audio and video as you are. 

at 5m there is absolutely no need to be using an active or fibre cable at all...given the available passive copper non active non fibre cables avaialbe at quite an affordable cost ... eg the $21.79 hdmi.org certified cable I pointed you to

Edited by betty boop
  • Love 1

Betty Boop, you really sound like you're clued up about all of this. 

Think I'll take your advice, and simplify my setup. 

I really thought I was doing the best, setup wise. 

The audio cable is a 4k copoer HDMI cable. 

Thankyou for your expertise. 

Cheers Andrew

57 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Cheers Andrew

ha only learning the hard way :D 

definitely simplify no doubt trying to do best...its just a bit of a minefield hdmi to catch folks out ! 

ps how long is the copper and what sort is it ? 

55 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Maybe I could use the fibreoptic coming from the AVR going to the TV. 

cheers Andrew

definitely give a shot. use the copper on the shorter run(if its shorter) and fiberoptic on longer. 

fingers crossed for you :) all hopefully works :) 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Cheers Andrew

IMO you are..........

FWIW................ I use 2 x FIBBR Ultra Pro directional active Fiber Optic cables to connect my OPPO 205 directly to my Display for video and directly to my Pre/Pro for audio and have never had an issue. 

https://www.fibbrtech.com/details.php?id=8

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, JohnL said:

FWIW................ I use 2 x FIBBR directional active Fiber Optic cables to connect my OPPO 205 directly to my Display for video and directly to my Pre/Pro for audio and have never had an issue. 

just because works in your setup doesnt mean will work in someone elses...such is life with hdmi. with dual hdmi its a recipe for disaster due to negotiating hdcp across 3 devices especially given active nature and then the lip synch. 

I have cables work in my setup faultlessly but wont work in someone elses... eg a yamaha with its weak hdmi signal....only answer to this is certified cables (certified by hdmi.org)

someone here i know ha to rip out all fibbr brand actives from his setup and swapping to premium certified was only answer...

unless using long lengths beyond certified copper (9.2m) or certified ultra high speed(5m) there is really is no need to use expensive fibre active cables....

Edited by betty boop
6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

just because works in your setup doesnt mean will work in someone elses...such is life with hdmi. with dual hdmi its a recipe for disaster due to negotiating hdcp across 3 devices especially given active nature and then the lip synch. 

unless using long lengths beyond certified copper (9.2m) or certified ultra high speed(5m) there is really is no need to use expensive fibre active cables....

Well experience with my setup is all I can accurately comment on.🙂

LOL........Unless you want improved sound and picture!!!!............which I got.☺️

Edited by JohnL
Just now, JohnL said:

LOL........Unless you want improved sound and picture!!!!............which I got.☺️

its better when you HAVE sound and picture without handshake interruptions OP is getting :D and others i know with NO sound or NO picture going this way :D  its also good to have picture and sound in synch ALL the time 😛 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, falcongtho1968 said:

So, are consumer electronics, hifi etc, not compatible with fibre optic cable? Are they only useful with computers? 

Cheers Andrew

I use Fibre Optical cable between my 4K Sony tv and an older AV receiver, because it doesn't have ARC. Otherwise I would be using HDMI, which to my ears, sounds better.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ronsound said:

I use Fibre Optical cable between my 4K Sony tv and an older AV receiver, because it doesn't have ARC. Otherwise I would be using HDMI, which to my ears, sounds better.

hi Ron, if your sony 4k TV has arc or earc as i imagine it would, maybe consider the earc sharc. Something i have and havent needed to use, but many folks do in your exact situation... what it does is plug into the earc port of your 4k tv and then feeds full bandwidth audio back to your older AVR and into any hdmi port it has doesnt have to be earc or even arc capable ... the earc sharc just acts as another hdmi source ! feeding audio off anything connected to he TV or even the internal TV apps.

here is the device.... $188 usd, very popular and works, yes a bit of money but cheaper than buying a new AVR ! 

https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/

If the problem persists after simplifying your cables (+1 to go to one HDMI lead) you might have to play with what order equipment is powered on and creating delays if required to enable HDMI sync. If you use a universal remote such as a Harmony this can be quite easily accommodated in an Activity setup. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, betty boop said:

hi Ron, if your sony 4k TV has arc or earc as i imagine it would, maybe consider the earc sharc. Something i have and havent needed to use, but many folks do in your exact situation... what it does is plug into the earc port of your 4k tv and then feeds full bandwidth audio back to your older AVR and into any hdmi port it has doesnt have to be earc or even arc capable ... the earc sharc just acts as another hdmi source ! feeding audio off anything connected to he TV or even the internal TV apps.

here is the device.... $188 usd, very popular and works, yes a bit of money but cheaper than buying a new AVR ! 

https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/

Thanks for the great info! I will keep this in mind for the near future as long as I keep my exisiting AV Receiver!

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, ronsound said:

Thanks for the great info! I will keep this in mind for the near future as long as I keep my exisiting AV Receiver!

Did you state, that you have one, but not using it? If so, selling at all?

20 minutes ago, ronsound said:

Did you state, that you have one, but not using it? If so, selling at all?

hi Ron, I do have one, still packed up from when got it and is unused. indeed have been thinking of selling it but not got around to it and also wondering whether to keep it as it is a handy thing. I'll send through a pm to discuss :)

• Like 1

I have a 205, was running x1 hdmi for audio and x1 for picture much like you had @falcongtho1968.  I simplified it by having x1 hdmi cable from Oppo to AVR and x1 HDMI cable from TV to earc input AVR (much like @betty boop recommended)

This also gave me on screen menu display from the AVR  which previously I needed to go into the input that the AVR was secured to in the TV to make any fine tune adjustments on the fly during a movie etc.... where now its all avaialble with the same input as the Oppo and is available to me during a movie.  Helps if you want to go into channel volumes and increase/decrease any of the speakers of sub without altering the calibrated levels.

With regard to the Oppo audio output and picture hdmi this also from memory was best suited to a TV that was UHD ready but the AVR was not.  Helpful where you might have a TV that is capable of a signal but an AVR is not, but if both are capable of UHD etc then one cable is all you need.

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Gday everyone, well I took some advice, and simplified my setup. 

One copper hdmi cable from Oppo to Denon, and a fibre optic hdmi cable from Denon to TV. 

Everything was fine, and then, the dreaded loss of signal notification. 

I have the fibre optic connected in the correct direction. 

The cable is only 5m long, so it cant be a loss of transmission strength?? 

Am I missing something in the setup menu of either the Oppo or the Denon?? 

Could it be a dodgy cable?? 

Getting Frustrated..... 😡

Cheers Andrew

37 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

One copper hdmi cable from Oppo to Denon, and a fibre optic hdmi cable from Denon to TV. 

Cheers Andrew

Simples ... replace the fibre optic hdmi cable from Denon to TV with a copper hdmi cable.  :)

Andy

37 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

Cheers Andrew

quite possible .... why i said below :) 

On 21/06/2021 at 11:58 AM, betty boop said:

its also possible the cable is faulty ...these do fail, or can fail during installation as they are delicate things 

it does happen. also neither cable are certified... what is the copper cable ? we have yet to hear anything on it.... type or length ? 

if only 5m or less the only way to eliminate cable is to really replace.... I would personally replace both with premium certified mono price as pointed to on amazon au already... both likely very affordable and will give some peace of mind with being premium certified cable wise you have nothing else going on there....

with oppo if on factory setting it should work fine ...as wiht the denon :) nothing else needed...

20 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

The copper hdmi is a Selby cable. Certified. 5m in length. 

i cant find any premium certified cable on the selby site....

see below the certification required and QR code..... to confirm verification :) 

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

and yes still  possible what have has also failed...though if copper its more unlikely vs an active cable that have chip built in, are more delicate and can go kerplunk... :) 

without changing out these cables not gong to be able to remove them as possibility ...

30 minutes ago, falcongtho1968 said:

I really thought they were certified. 

The Dtech isnt either, upon inspection.

not end of the world. I have one cable thats not certified other thats certified... both work just fine...when i bought the non certified one...there were just no other options... but i did know it worked in my equipment combination and has worked faultlessly since. passing every test etc.  just not being certified ...theres no guarantee will work in all setups and i know it doesnt in some combinations (eg wiht yamaha AVRs) for sure. 

perhaps pushing it with your 5m copper... or your DTech active cable is playing up...both are possibilities...

any off the shelf 5m premium certified is going to be expensive... if can wait... the 15ft(5m) monoprice premium certified is in stock at amazon au, free shipping if have a prime amount and $20.33 a pop. and should get to you by july 2 if can wait...

https://www.amazon.com.au/Monoprice-115430-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B01GCGKFBY/ref=sr_1_1?

I can't see how else to eliminate the cable apart from trying another thats more of a surety...

if cable doesnt work... and both bits of gear are at factory setting ... i would then be at a loss...

I dont know your display well enough but i also hope that is to factory and not on setting thats interfering somehow :) 

if none of above helps then its coming down to fault in one of the pieces of gear with a dodgy hdmi port... but hopefully that is not what issue is....

• Like 1