Ortofon vs Rega MC cart sound comparisons.

I have a fairly new Ania Pro cart which I’m liking quite a lot. I am also looking to purchase other cartridges, not to replace but, to collect and sub in from time to time. 

I'm considering something like the Ortofon Cadenza, say a Blue or “better”. 
Are there some generalizations that could be made about the Rega sound vs the Ortofon Cadenza sound?

My last experience with Ortofon was with a naked SPU Gold and the MC10/20/30 Supers back in the 80’s and 90’s. These tended to err on the less accurate but very musical and natural side of things vs my current Rega which is big on detail. 

Have things changed much?

I tend to buy without auditions. 

thanks. 

Edited by Steever

I only heard the rega carts a handful of times at friends place on rp8 so can't comment much on them but they sound very good.

I used to have mc30 super mk2 on my rega and love it. I now have the Cadenza blue but it is not mounted atm, it sounds great on rega, detailed sound and very natural at the same time. You won't be disappointed.

I am a bit bias, I think it is better than the Apheta 2. Never heard the Ania Pro though. 

I’m a Rega fan but I can’t help but think that they really are a bit new to the MC game, especially when you compare them to Ortofon.  As a case in point, I had 8 Apheta carts (eight, that’s not a typo) that needed to be returned and were replaced under warrantee. I got the feeling that the Apheta II was just the Apheta I with better QA. I didn’t hang around to find out whether the Apheta III was an actual upgrade. I went to a company that has serious pedigree when it comes to MC cartridge manufacture and haven’t looked back.  

• Like 2

If you are using the Rega RP40 then you should get a better turntable before buying a cartridge which is more expensive than the turntable itself.

I would suggest upgrading to the P8, and you will get a much better result than putting an expensive cartridge on a midrange deck.

If you want to stay with the RP40 try a mid priced Soundsmith - they are very musical and great value - a little smoother and more nuanced than the Rega MC.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the Cadenza “blue” weighs 10.7gr opposed to the Ania Pro @6gr, not sure if complient with the Rega arm? 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 12ax7b said:

If you are using the Rega RP40 then you should get a better turntable before buying a cartridge which is more expensive than the turntable itself.

I would suggest upgrading to the P8, and you will get a much better result than putting an expensive cartridge on a midrange deck.

If you want to stay with the RP40 try a mid priced Soundsmith - they are very musical and great value - a little smoother and more nuanced than the Rega MC.

Starting to think the same. 

A P8 is a strong contender as it sees better plinth and arm into the equation but, also looking at VPI, ClearAudio, etc.

I really like Rega arms and I feel it's going to get very pricey quite quickly in the quest to better them.

I perhaps should have pointed out my RP40 has the whole Tango Spinner catalogue thrown at it, Gaia III footers installed and a motor decouple done. While the arm is still the venerable RB303, it's been rewired with a continuous silver wire kit and uses an underhung XTC counterweight. The phono stage is a Cyrus Phono Sig and PSX-R. I believe I can get a bit more out of this yet.

Edited by Steever

Yes its a a hard one. The weak point is your arm.

You could buy an Audiomods for your existing RP40 - they are excellent - I put one on my Platine Verdier when I sold it. Keep the RB303 so if you sell the RP40 down the road you can put the RB303 back on and keep or sell the Audiomods off separately.

Alternately put the RP40 back to standard and sell off the extra's plus the RP40 to fund a P8. I think on balance probably a better option - cleaner and less costly in the long run.

As far as VPI goes, in my view the Regas dollar for dollar are better value - the VPI arms are garbage in my view, and despite the lack of VTA I would go Rega. I've heard all 3 Rega/Clearaudio/VPI - the Rega has much better pace and rhythm than VPI, Clearaudios at that level are just ok.