Hi, anyone here have any experience using Dirac Live, I intended to run it this weekend but wanted 

any tips before embarking with it . Using it with NAD M33. 
Cheers Paul.

I have it set up in a minidsp D22.    It was a touch temperamental initially but all good now.   I had a usb cable issue so got a new one and all good.

have the manual handy.    Follow the steps and all good.    Really all the mic placements are just a guide so don’t get bent out of shape getting that millimetre perfect.     

99.9% of users will tell you can play around with the eventual frequency response curve all you like  but most go back to the built in Harman Curve.

Good luck.   You can’t break anything so have fun.

it will do wonders for the sound.   Guaranteed.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 2

The M33 must be on and connected to the same network before you start Dirac Live.  This is because the license is tied to the hardware.

This video is for the older version, but it will give you a good idea of the process.  Note that this is for an AVR, so there will be differences in number of speakers and  sitting positions, but the process is the same.

Thanks for your reply much appreciated, I noticed you have a Fiio M11 Pro

I bought the M11 ( just before the AKM fire ) . What’s your thoughts on it 

I do find the SW a bit buggy sometimes, but it sounds great.

I’m just using a pair of 1more Triple Drive ear buds, would like to try the 

balance out one day. 
Thanks Paul.

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The M33 must be on and connected to the same network before you start Dirac Live.  This is because the license is tied to the hardware.

This video is for the older version, but it will give you a good idea of the process.  Note that this is for an AVR, so there will be differences in number of speakers and  sitting positions, but the process is the same.

Thanks Snoop 

i just set this up on my emotiva xmc 1 and its so clear its drilling a hole in my brain compared to using Audyssey on my marantz sr7008

My main tip is keep all curve fiddling to under 500hz using the curtains in the software, my curtains were set at 150hz the last time I used it.1253306067_ScreenShot2021-05-03at2_57_51pm.thumb.png.a09b4a6ea666200897cf6c495901064f.png

• Like 1

A few tips:

1. For setup, read https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2-mic-speaker-levels/ 

2. Buy a cheap telescopic/boom microphone stand if you haven't already got one. Something like https://www.swamp.net.au/vocal-microphone-stand. You won't regret it.   

3. Mark out where you want the microphone positions to be (eg use some tape). If it's off by even a few inches it can make a big difference. 

4. If possible use an individually calibrated microphone.  And make sure to use the correction file for the axis you're using. 

5. As someone said above, use the curtains. 

6. If you want Harman curves as targets, you can download them from various sites. Easier than building them yourself. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Ars Paart said:

3. Mark out where you want the microphone positions to be (eg use some tape). If it's off by even a few inches it can make a big difference. 

There is something wrong with your room or setup if you need that level of precision.  Every measurement can change slightly in the same position, due to natural variations in the room, and the differences will far exceed any error due to the microphone position.

Besides, Dirac is taking an averaging approach...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Adjust target curve in low frequencies to ensure you are restricting the amount of gain Dirac is applying to any nulls (I keep any boost to 4db or less).

Keep target curve line straight on the speaker when rolling off DIrac from below the crossover point to the subwoofer.

There are a couple of good and brief videos on the Arcam YouTube website.

I also use tape to mark my measurement points - probably not necessary as mentioned but I do like precision!

• Haha 1

I think the main listening position measurement should have the microphone placed as accurately as possible and the others don't have to be particularly accurate.

Dirac Live does not boost nulls.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pcking said:

Thanks for your reply much appreciated, I noticed you have a Fiio M11 Pro

I bought the M11 ( just before the AKM fire ) . What’s your thoughts on it 

I do find the SW a bit buggy sometimes, but it sounds great.

I love it.  Use it everyday all day bluetooth'd into the car system.    Use it outside with both wired and bluetooth headphones.

Very few glitches if any to speak of.

Regards Cazzesman

3 hours ago, Satanica said:

I think the main listening position measurement should have the microphone placed as accurately as possible and the others don't have to be particularly accurate.

Dirac Live does not boost nulls.

Sorry - wrong phrasing - Dirac does attempt to correct a dip in a speaker's frequency response.  I believe you should seek to limit that correction if it too large as that can overdrive the speaker.  I personally seek to limit that correction to around 4db in the lower frequencies.

12 hours ago, lucmor444 said:

Sorry - wrong phrasing - Dirac does attempt to correct a dip in a speaker's frequency response.  I believe you should seek to limit that correction if it too large as that can overdrive the speaker.  I personally seek to limit that correction to around 4db in the lower frequencies.

I have regularly seen boosts reported as much as 12db which is plain crazy and sending folks AVRs understandably into protection and shut down. definitely folks need to be wary and limit boosting...

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

I have regularly seen boosts reported as much as 12db which is plain crazy and sending folks AVRs understandably into protection and shut down. definitely folks need to be wary and limit boosting...

I've got other forms of EQ being DEQX and JRiver and they can apply boost much larger than that. 

https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/dirac-room-correction-interview

Audioholics: What is the maximum boost / cut your room correction products will apply? Is it possible for users to set a limit in this respect (i.e. no more than 3dB of boost)?

Mathias Johansson: Normally, Dirac Live does not allow you to boost more than 10 dB. You can lower this by adjusting the target curve. However, narrow dips (nulls) are never compensated, as they are always position dependent in real acoustic spaces.

Edited by Satanica

Hi , is this the Dirac Live Activation page ? .

I bought the full version and was sent a link to their site,

I logged in here but I get this message. Do also have to download 

the LE version 1st , delete it , then download the full version.

Cheers Paul.

F4E02796-8BAA-469A-8D9C-88E6039450D6.jpeg

Check your email including spam folder. You need to verify your login.

No, use same version of software on your computer.

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Check your email including spam folder. You need to verify your login.

No, use same version of software on your computer.

Thanks Snoop, that worked.
ps . I hate computers.

• Like 1

I guess this the correct App for the Full Version ? 
looks the same as the LE Version 

Thanks again for your help.

Paul.

828C3349-54DE-48C8-A180-92DB6ACA2A23.png

On 18/06/2021 at 4:49 PM, Snoopy8 said:

There is something wrong with your room or setup if you need that level of precision.  Every measurement can change slightly in the same position, due to natural variations in the room, and the differences will far exceed any error due to the microphone position.

Besides, Dirac is taking an averaging approach...

It's pretty easy to skew the soundstage if the measurement field is lopsided.  But mostly it makes each measurement a bit quicker if there are easy visual clues, I find the process pretty tedious and want it over as quickly as possible.

Edited by Ars Paart
31 minutes ago, Ars Paart said:

It's pretty easy to skew the soundstage if the measurement field is lopsided. 

Have not come across skewing of the soundstage despite having done many Dirac Live (and Anthem Room Correction) setups, 

49 minutes ago, Ars Paart said:

But mostly it makes each measurement a bit quicker if there are easy visual clues, I find the process pretty tedious and want it over as quickly as possible.

This is  a valid reason to mark out positions. 

However, using approximate positions, spaced evenly, is more than enough to get good results.

Just now, Snoopy8 said:

Have not come across skewing of the soundstage despite having done many Dirac Live (and Anthem Room Correction) setups, 

This is  a valid reason to mark out positions. 

However, using approximate positions, spaced evenly, is more than enough to get good results.

That's the key, and a lot depends on the size of the area you're optimising for.   Plus microphone axis, which seems to have the biggest effect.   

Dirac is, in my opinion, absolutely fundamental.

Even if you have an excellent room, you would be unlikely to listen at the reference level (i.e. the mastering level, which is usually around 85db so very loud). When you listen at lower levels, low and high frequencies are harder to hear, and the speakers sound dull or boring. (the lower the listening level, the duller the sound appears to be).

With Dirac, or any other room correction tool that allows you to set your preferred target curve, you can easily compensate for this and go back to fully enjoying your late night listening sessions.

More here:

Equalisation for low volumes using Dirac - Calibration Discussion - StereoNET