Returning to vinyls so do I buy the Rega P8 with Ania or Rega P6 with Ania Pro?

As the title states I’m looking at returning to Vinyl after selling my RP6 about three years ago.  

I still have a GrooveTracer Delrin platter and matching ref sub-platter which I know I can reuse on the P6 and by the look of it the P8 if I buy one.

The RP6 with GrooveTracer add ons was a brilliant setup.

just wondering what the general consensus is with regard to the table to buy considering there is a $1k diff in retail pricing.  Is the p8 with Ania still miles ahead of the P6 with Ania Pro?

also; what sought if pricing should I be aiming at with regard to negotiating a good price. Thinking 5 to 10% off RRP is a good deal..

Edited by Bodalenko

Buy the rp or p8 or even find a p/rp10 used as they come up once in a while, my all time favourite though is the 9.

I think it wins hands down.

Based on I have had two 10's - 3 x9's  a P3 and a P6. No P8 though.

The 10 looks wicked in skeleton mode though. Which I think the 8 replicates. good luck and enjoy

as others mentioned buy the best deck and arm you can and then even a used cart to start with. if funds don't allow.  So many great carts on here for 500-1000 bucks. Most of all enjoy your choice and pick the one you like the best.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input.  Normally I don’t have any probs making decisions of this nature, I mean price for either aren’t house buying figures, but it’s the form difference that seems to be the hurdle.  

With the P6 you are getting a ‘real’ traditional turntable complete with proper cover and as we all know, like them or not they do the job they’re intended for, while with the P8 you’re getting a pretzel that comes with a cover that’s not really a cover.  I really need to see and hear both in the flesh.  

Any recommendations or knowledge where I can audition both at the one store in Melbourne?  I’ve bought vinyl related stuff from REGA retailers, Stereophonic, CAV, and Vinyl Revival  before and they’re pretty close.

15 hours ago, Eagleeyes said:

Buy the rp or p8 or even find a p/rp10 used as they come up once in a while, my all time favourite though is the 9.

I think it wins hands down.

Based on I have had two 10's - 3 x9's  a P3 and a P6. No P8 though.

The 10 looks wicked in skeleton mode though. Which I think the 8 replicates. good luck and enjoy

as others mentioned buy the best deck and arm you can and then even a used cart to start with. if funds don't allow.  So many great carts on here for 500-1000 bucks. Most of all enjoy your choice and pick the one you like the best.

They classic Rega’s do come up once and a while but they’re gone in 30 secs or the asking prices are usually silly.  

Thanks for suggesting the second hand cart route.  I’ll  have a look at the second hands carts just to get an idea.  

I am missing the warmth of vinyl after a 4 year split from it so yes, I know regardless of whichever I buy I’ll enjoy it.  At least till I’m reminded again of what a time consuming process dealing with vinyls is, then I’ll probably sell it out again 😄

May be an rp8 which give you the traditional tt look with cover, and you can change to skeleton look if you want.

• Thanks 1

P8 👍 I have one, upgraded from RP3 with Groovetracer Sub Platter and Delrin platter.

A decent upgrade but not out of this world.

RP3 with those upgrades is pretty epic.

I think if you’ve decided to return to vinyl because of a particular sound you’re missing you certainly need to audition a range of tables and combinations to get what you want. There’s nothing intrinsically ‘warm’ about vinyl, and indeed Im not sure it’s possible to define what ‘vinyl’ sounds like.  It’s  down to the type of cart, the phono stage etc as much as the table. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a P8 with an Ania pre-fitted. Overall, I'm very impressed with the table as it's dead quite and feels very well built.

The Ania cart picks up good detail, but I have noticed sibilance and inner groove distortion on many records. This could be user error (tried adjusting tracking force/anti-skate) but I've read other complain of similar things.

Would highly recommend the P8 table, but if I did it again, I'd consider other MC carts in that price range.

Just now, sdave said:

I recently acquired a P8 with an Ania pre-fitted. Overall, I'm very impressed with the table as it's dead quite and feels very well built.

The Ania cart picks up good detail, but I have noticed sibilance and inner groove distortion on many records. This could be user error (tried adjusting tracking force/anti-skate) but I've read other complain of similar things.

Would highly recommend the P8 table, but if I did it again, I'd consider other MC carts in that price range.

I really like the P8 but no way would I ever use a Rega cart on it. There are many other better options out there like Dynavector, Hanna and Benz.

Just now, buddyev said:

Why not sell on the Ania and try something else?

Fantastic idea.

11 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Why not sell on the Ania and try something else?

Probably the smart thing to do. Problem is, it's easy to spend more than the turntable is worth on a new cartridge 🙂

I think first priority will be a phono amp upgrade

Edited by sdave

I think that table is worth a good cart and wouod benefit from something significantly better than the Ania. You really don’t have to spend thousands to get a different flavour. 

3 minutes ago, sdave said:

Probably the smart thing to do. Problem is, it's easy to spend more than the turntable is worth on a new cartridge 🙂

Not at all. The RRP on the P8 is $3700. Try this for $1359. I have one and it is superb.

https://recordclean.com.au/dynavector-dv-20x-high-low-output-mc-cartridge.html

1 minute ago, buddyev said:

I think that table is worth a good cart and wouod benefit from something significantly better than the Ania. You really don’t have to spend thousands to get a different flavour. 

Do you have any recommendations for that table?

Would Ortofon Cadenza Red fit the bill?

Sorry, I only ever used MM carts on my Rega. Maybe start a thread describing your system and ask for suggestions. 

10 minutes ago, rantan said:

Cheers, will check out reviews on this one

On 30/06/2021 at 6:44 PM, rantan said:

There are many other better options out there like Dynavector, Hanna and Benz

+1 for Hana ML on Planar 8 - very balanced.  Might be worth asking Audiotrends if they have both 6 and 8 - they had an 8 last time I looked.