If you could only listen to one artist..

Since Justine's beaver is not available I will go for The Beatles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is happening here,  there can only be one BEATLES  - 

@needlerunner @rantan Hope I’m submitting this right  nbn down  (using phone instead )   but spot on guys 🤣  

The Hoff 👊🏻       😂

1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

I’m almost 44 so I’ve still got several weeks to live, at least 

I've been saying that for the past 22 years and 355 days. Once you realise that there's more behind you than in front of you it all becomes academic.

• Like 1

One artist?

Although Picasso would be interesting..

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 6:57 AM, JukKluk2 said:

someone like Leonard Bernstein or Herbert von Karajan, or some other conductor who has a vast and varied body of work.

Well said.

Or Keith Jarrett

Or even Ken Vandermark who at the age of 45 had released more than 120 albums, led 36 different bands of his own (each one for a different project) and is still producing at least half a dozen albums every year. But you have to have some decades of listening to jazz before you even warm up to him.

• Like 2

Great thread question and a  brilliant set of responses👏👏

I suspect one can't really listen to a single artist on heavy rotation, to the exclusion of all other music, for more than a few months without going mad.  I think one's best hope is an artist that crosses as many different genres/styles as possible. But of course, nobody crosses 'em all, which I would require for eternity😀

• Like 2

Steven Wilson, when you look at all the remastering he has done of other bands, Porcupine Tree, No-Man, solo albums and colaborations, his range and styles of music

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tripitaka said:

Great thread question and a  brilliant set of responses👏👏

I suspect one can't really listen to a single artist on heavy rotation, to the exclusion of all other music, for more than a few months without going mad.  I think one's best hope is an artist that crosses as many different genres/styles as possible. But of course, nobody crosses 'em all, which I would require for eternity😀

Pink Floyd got played to death when I was in my teens, I avoided it for 20 years after!

I can listen to it again these days :)

• Like 2

I've been playing Linda Rondstadt for decades non stop...it helps she sang with lots of others as well as the Nelson Riddle orchestra 

• Like 4

Despite that I listen more to St Germain and Massive Attack these last few years, I would still choose Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd has a huge discography spanning decades and varieties of music and instruments and vocals, significant video catalogue and cartoon/picture artwork.  That'd keep me going, assuming I could afford it all!

2 hours ago, Blk plastic said:

Neil Young natch. 

On his Archives site of course 😀

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 3:57 PM, Janjuggler said:

Hi All,

David Bowie

Bowie.jpg.362170dde6ef1087214c781f31825a8b.jpg

David Bowie consists of 27 studio albums , 21 live albums, 46 compilation albums , 10 extended plays (EPs),  4 soundtracks and 12 box sets.

I also go with David Bowie and could narrow it down to David Live only....

Stump

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 20/06/2021 at 7:55 PM, rockeater said:

Well said.

Or Keith Jarrett

Or even Ken Vandermark who at the age of 45 had released more than 120 albums, led 36 different bands of his own (each one for a different project) and is still producing at least half a dozen albums every year. But you have to have some decades of listening to jazz before you even warm up to him.

Or Bill Laswell, who's released close to 100 albums.

• Like 2

One artist for the rest of my life? Big decision.

Would probably be The Beatles for me. No matter how much music I listen to in whatever musical styles, whenever I switch to The Beatles it feels like I'm going home.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Devin Townsend vs Steven Wilson?   hmmmmmmmmmm

Wilson wins by a short half nose.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 2

Has to be Richard Thompson for me. His first album  " Henry the Human Fly"  Still blows me , away and the albums kept on coming

• Like 4
On 21/06/2021 at 9:01 PM, Stump said:

David Bowie consists of 27 studio albums , 21 live albums, 46 compilation albums , 10 extended plays (EPs),  4 soundtracks and 12 box sets.

I also go with David Bowie and could narrow it down to David Live only....

Stump

The rules (as I have decided) mean you can listen to any of his collaborations too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, half baked said:

Has to be Richard Thompson for me. His first album  " Henry the Human Fly"  Still blows me , away and the albums kept on coming

Agreed! His music keeps unfolding every time you play an older title.

Amazing song writer

19 minutes ago, progladyte said:

Agreed! His music keeps unfolding every time you play an older title.

Amazing song writer

When I first heard this album in 1971 my taste in music was limited to black sabbath, led zep, groundhogs etc. It took awhile to get my head around it but opened my mind to other genres, 

stuck with 1  artist you want music to cater for different moods, his certainly does that

• Like 1
1 hour ago, half baked said:

When I first heard this album in 1971 my taste in music was limited to black sabbath, led zep, groundhogs etc. It took awhile to get my head around it but opened my mind to other genres, 

stuck with 1  artist you want music to cater for different moods, his certainly does that

My first major foray into RT's music was with an album called "Across A Crowded Room"

Not a bad track on the whole platter.

I had also heard a few tracks he had done with his wife Linda from "Bright Lights" in 1974 but later on I thought bugger it and bought the whole damned cattle dog.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, progladyte said:

My first major foray into RT's music was with an album called "Across A Crowded Room"

Mine as well, Greg. There was a huge amount of positive press for it all over the place. I just had to find out what they were on about, so I bought my copy from a record shop that used to be right next to the old Subiaco Markets in Perth. Ever since hearing the first few notes of the opening track the spell has remained unbroken.

My next RT purchase was Amnesia. I've never forgetten that.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with an outsider. Someone who is just at the start of what I'm sure will be an amazing career with much more music still to come (just turned 18!). And since I'm likely to get bored with only one artist I want the maximum pleasure and amazement with each listen. This is someone I've listened to more times than any artist in my collection and have been addicted to for the last two plus years. All her music is available on YouTube.

Diana Ankudinova (Диана Анкудинова)

image.thumb.png.ef0cf8f4c74b893a61c62b3d8ec9fa40.png

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Mine as well, Greg. There was a huge amount of positive press for it all over the place. I just had to find out what they were on about, so I bought my copy from a record shop that used to be right next to the old Subiaco Markets in Perth. Ever since hearing the first few notes of the opening track the spell has remained unbroken.

My next RT purchase was Amnesia. I've never forgetten that.

2 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I'm going to go with an outsider. Someone who is just at the start of what I'm sure will be an amazing career with much more music still to come (just turned 18!). And since I'm likely to get bored with only one artist I want the maximum pleasure and amazement with each listen. This is someone I've listened to more times than any artist in my collection and have been addicted to for the last two plus years. All her music is available on YouTube.

Diana Ankudinova (Диана Анкудинова)

image.thumb.png.ef0cf8f4c74b893a61c62b3d8ec9fa40.png

Just discovered her - brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

On 18/06/2021 at 11:33 PM, deanB said:

185047295_images(8).jpeg.ff60a7398eb2bd4b98227aa269cc0387.jpeg

yep,     and since its the artist you'd get A Perfect Circle as a bonus.   

2 minutes ago, manchu said:

yep,     and since its the artist you'd get A Perfect Circle as a bonus.   

With a Volto! chaser.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, deanB said:

With a Volto! chaser.

One artist so it'd  be against the rules to encompass both the singers and drummers other bands.    Green Jelly would be the chaser in that case i guess.    .    

If someone really wanted a lot of variety you could opt for a session musician.    Leland Skylar comes to mind.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leland_Sklar

2 minutes ago, manchu said:

One artist so it'd  be against the rules to encompass both the singers and drummers other bands.    Green Jelly would be the chaser in that case i guess.    .    

If someone really wanted a lot of variety you could opt for a session musician.    Leland Skylar comes to mind.     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leland_Sklar

He certainly is one cool looking dude.

I love his work with Toto...

16 minutes ago, manchu said:

I don't care much for singers so can I forego Perfect Circle and sub in Volto!? 🙃

Hi @needlerunner

On 19/06/2021 at 6:44 PM, needlerunner said:

Jeez JJ. Would have bet the house on you picking Flaming Lips.😱

'Twas a toss up between Bowie, Flaming Lips and Hawkwind, Bowie won by the sheer output and diversity. 😃

• Like 3
On 21/06/2021 at 6:30 PM, colinm1 said:

Elton john

I get that. 

A huge body of work and plenty of variety.

I overlooked Elton for many years.  Probably because I didn't really get to hear album tracks, and while there were some great singles, generally they just didn't make me sit up & listen & seek out more.

These days I'm really enjoying a lot of his earlier stuff.  He & Bernie are a magical song-writing team.

Captain Fantastic... & Tumbleweed Connection are current favourites.  Personnel & recording quality is pretty impressive as well.

• Like 1