If you could only listen to one artist..

..for the rest of your life, who would you choose?

This curly question came to me while listening to one of my favourite bands, which features Mike Patton and I was thinkign that I could happily listen to only music he's played a part in making, if I had to. This guy (actually a god tbh) is so prolific and has been in more than ten groups and done a range of solo recordings, in various genres. He's even done an Italian 50s/60s pop music album with an orchestra. He's done movie scores and other weird stuff too.

I doubt there's too many artist/producers like him, but there are many that have been in several bands and done movie scores etc. Nick Cave and Trent Reznor come to mind.

Anyhow, this leads to the question. You can choose any band or individual. Individuals like my choice (Patton) could be a smart pick, but some bands have a huge catalog, so could be just as wise a choice. It's obviously up to your taste too.

So, who would you pick?

• Like 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is happening here,  there can only be one BEATLES  - 

@needlerunner @rantan Hope I’m submitting this right  nbn down  (using phone instead )   but spot on guys 🤣  

The Hoff 👊🏻       😂

1 minute ago, needlerunner said:

Any speculation to what @April Snow would be recommending.😇

I think so. A single name artist.

The name ends in "e " 🤔

• Like 1

JJ Cale with his multiple albums 🙏

Edited by Mr 57
  • Like 7

I think all of the above are shallow thinkers.

On 17/06/2021 at 5:29 PM, Esoterica said:

for the rest of your life, who would you choose?

If your 86 and wheezing and sucking on an oxygen bottle for the best part of each day then sure...it's time to listen to JJ.Cale or David and David or grab a scoob and be endlessly entertained KC and of course if DSTOM or all of DS' albums move you ...then go for them.

But if your into a bit of depth and a bit of brilliance and you've got more than 7.2 hrs to spare(that's King Crimson done Lol with 6.1 hours of it on mute) or 2.6 hrs(that's PF done the rest of the time you look at the arty and nifty album covers and acknowledge that Roger Waters  was Pink Floyd and old constipated Gilmour and he's regurgitated grimace that produces the same lead break on every album  ) or 6.1 hrs(that's DS done. You get up at each Mark Knoffler lead break and doff your cap or knuckle your brow) or 1.3hrs (that's Led Zep done. Bow down at the altar of Jimmy Page and just be quiet FFS) and then you get serious and have to look at Mozart or Beethoven or Mahler or the Bill Evans Trio or  Miles Davis or some parts of His Bobness's oeuvre.

My vote goes to young Mozart.

Like Robert Smith is fine, The Cure have done nothing new since the late 80's and Led Zep even less so(haha) and do you want to listen to them over and over and over again as you wish that you could die?

I'd start with the young fella's piano concertos and then hit his violin ones and then just dive in and keep wishing i could not die till I've listened to his entire output ...twice. 

J.J.Cale...you wanna have him on rotation once a month for 15 minutes to keep you alive whereas Mozart....

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hi Luc. You make an excellent point and it's hard to find any Mozart that leaves one cold. Even so, he never wrote "Julie With..." or ""Heroes"" or "Burning Airlines Give You So Much More" or "Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks" or played on a track like "Hybrid" or produced "Life During Wartime" or Achtung Baby or "Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy" or "Laid". Nor was he in Roxy Music. So it's Brian Eno here.

• Like 3

Good question.A bit torn between The Beatles,Van Morrison and Willie Nelson.

But Willie probably wins out because he has made so many great collaborative recordings with so many great musicians and in a wide range of musical genres.And usually with sublime recording quality.He attracts the best players in the business.If you have overlooked is recordings of the last 25 years you have really missed something special.He is a musician's musician.Like this for example-

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Luc said:

But if your into a bit of depth and a bit of brilliance and you've got more than 7.2 hrs to spare(that's King Crimson done Lol with 6.1 hours of it on mute) or 2.6 hrs(that's PF done the rest of the time you look at the arty and nifty album covers and acknowledge that Roger Waters  was Pink Floyd and old constipated Gilmour and he's regurgitated grimace that produces the same lead break on every album  ) or 6.1 hrs(that's DS done. You get up at each Mark Knoffler lead break and doff your cap or knuckle your brow) or 1.3hrs (that's Led Zep done. Bow down at the altar of Jimmy Page and just be quiet FFS) and then you get serious and have to look at Mozart or Beethoven or Mahler or the Bill Evans Trio or  Miles Davis or some parts of His Bobness's oeuvre.

Going by sheer depth (playtime) and acceptable brilliance throughout, surely it’ll have to be Telemann. Brilliance-wise, he was the one the city of Leipzig really had its sight on, and when he declined, reluctantly settled for the distant second choice, Bach (also a huge playtime choice if you can stomach his vocal works).

That said, for breadth of coverage while maintaining a well above-average level of brilliance, and frequently going beyond stellar, at the same time completely avoiding pretentiousness (in music) and artistic navel-gazing – Mozart would be the pick for me. Runners up for me are Schubert, instrumental Bach and the Russians from romantic to modern. And Björk, of course.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It's a bit of a quandary, isn't it? Only one artist. For the rest of your life? Easier if you've been given a couple of months to live, but I suspect that sitting around listening to a few tunes whilst your life ebbs away might not be that practical, especially if parts of you are grinding to a halt.

As for the scenario of only one artist and an indeterminate time frame, I think @Luc is on the right track. Whilst I would personally hate to lose my access to King Crimson they, along with most rock-era artists, no matter how large their back catalogue, would have to be jettisoned due to insufficient breadth of ultimate variation in their music. Better to go with, in my opinion, someone like Leonard Bernstein or Herbert von Karajan, or some other conductor who has a vast and varied body of work. That would, I think give you the best bang for your buck and would stand a chance of not destroying your love of music due to a lack of variety.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Luc said:

I think all of the above are shallow thinkers.

If your 86 and wheezing and sucking on an oxygen bottle for the best part of each day then sure...it's time to listen to JJ.Cale or David and David or grab a scoob and be endlessly entertained KC and of course if DSTOM or all of DS' albums move you ...then go for them.

Like Robert Smith is fine, The Cure have done nothing new since the late 80's and Led Zep even less so(haha) and do you want to listen to them over and over and over again as you wish that you could die?

I'd start with the young fella's piano concertos and then hit his violin ones and then just dive in and keep wishing i could not die till I've listened to his entire output ...twice. 

J.J.Cale...you wanna have him on rotation once a month for 15 minutes to keep you alive whereas Mozart....

Ha ha.I'll save Mozart till the end.

For.......Funeral Music.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Post funeral music would be even better, although I should not be mean to my survivors.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

What is happening here,  there can only be one

BEATLES  - 

Old people just have better taste @Grumpy

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Or The Band

I Don’t Want T Hang Up My Rock n Roll Shoes😀

• Like 2

Bob

Ive been rehearsing for this exact scenario for years

Decades ago I would sometimes spend months listening to not much else

Great singer

Even better writer

Probably take me the rest of my life to confuse myself over the song meanings😀

Even now I can spend 3 or 4 hours a day for a week or so listening to Dylan

I listen to songs in the car in alphabetical order and with multiple versions of the same song I can drive for anything up to an hour listening to one song

Mind you only when I don’t have a passenger😀

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, keyse1 said:

Bob

Ive been rehearsing for this exact scenario for years

Decades ago I would sometimes spend months listening to not much else

Great singer

Even better writer

Probably take me the rest of my life to confuse myself over the song meanings😀

Even now I can spend 3 or 4 hours a day for a week or so listening to Dylan

I listen to songs in the car in alphabetical order and with multiple versions of the same song I can drive for anything up to an hour listening to one song

Mind you only when I don’t have a passenger😀

I'd be phoning Beyond Blue and/or Lifeline if I did that much listening to Bob.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

Obviously an artist / band with a vast catalogue would be required so I'll opt for someone like Frank Zappa.

Even though I have all of his albums including about 3,542,759 bootlegs, there are some of his titles I have only played once or twice so there in lies a worthy re-playability factor right there.

Musically, I still get a thrill from listening to the various live concerts of Steve Hackett / Early Genesis material but also like guys like Christy Moore (Planxty) as his albums are just so damned good even if I have only played a fraction of them.

YMMV

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

Burt Bacharach 

'cos I wouldn't want to go on living

Listen to Bob D and Van M. You will go so much quicker😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Janjuggler said:

Hi All,

David Bowie

Bowie.jpg.362170dde6ef1087214c781f31825a8b.jpg

Jeez JJ. Would have bet the house on you picking Flaming Lips.😱

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, needlerunner said:

Listen to Bob D and Van M. You will go so much quicker😃

Nah . They are fine.

The favourite thing played in terminal oncology wards where there is no hope except for hospice style care is Mrs Mills.  After a few hours they pass away,either eager to move on to avoid her or just to submit to the inevitable, where the music is worse than the suffering.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could never pick one, as no matter who I'd eventually get sick of it.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Plastic Bertrand   😁

In lieu of Prince or John Fox?

Yeah right:lol:

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, rantan said:

In lieu of price or John Fox?

Yeah right:lol:

Twas not serious.   Playing the same artist ova and ova and ova would surely b enuf to go crazy. 

Variety is the spice of life.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

Bowies last album would send you there, followed by Springsteens Nebraska.

1 hour ago, rantan said:

Nah . They are fine.

The favourite thing played in terminal oncology wards where there is no hope except for hospice style care is Mrs Mills.  After a few hours they pass away,either eager to move on to avoid her or just to submit to the inevitable, where the music is worse than the suffering.

@rantan

I need to quote this in another thread so check out the link when it's posted.

Classic line amigo!

• Haha 1

Actually, no, this much Bobness is fine. As the man with a suitcase of Bob boots said:  "I just played them in the background, and then suddenly something would leap out with sheer brilliance. Maybe just one track in a show, or one outtake, but simply brilliant. So it was easy to listen to the whole suitcase of CDs."

Currently listening to "Ballad of a Thin Man" London, 1966.

• Like 2

Bill Frisell

the amount and diversity of stuff he’s been involved with in addition to his vast body of solo work would keep me going for a good long while. 

would still get bored eventually, though. I’m almost 44 so I’ve still got several weeks to live, at least 

• Like 3
  • Love 1