Speaker Cable Adapters and Plugs

Hi guys, 

Just wondering if you guys thinks or have found whether or not Speaker Cable Adapters or Plugs (such as banana plugs and banana to spade adapters etc.) can add/ change the sound of the speaker cables? 

Is it good enough to buy the cheapest adapters/ plugs? 

Thanks! 

9 hours ago, DMax said:

Hi guys, 

Just wondering if you guys thinks or have found whether or not Speaker Cable Adapters or Plugs (such as banana plugs and banana to spade adapters etc.) can add/ change the sound of the speaker cables? 

Yes, they do.

9 hours ago, DMax said:

Is it good enough to buy the cheapest adapters/ plugs? 

Thanks! 

Nooo - don't buy the cheapest.  Just like ... don't buy the cheapest spkr cable!

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Andy.

It's a weakest link thing.

Edit: myself I pay attention to material quality (and low mass) with every connector in my system, be it RCA or banana plugs, or RCA sockets and speaker binding posts.

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks. Any suggestions on what are some of the good quality banana plug options? Trying to use a bi-wire end to a non bi wiring speakers. Thanks 

Edited by DMax

On 17/06/2021 at 12:19 PM, DMax said:

can add/ change the sound of the speaker cables? 

Just find something that makes good contact.

These are good

Deltron copies that aren't too expensive.

I use 10mm  'O' rings crimped to a 4gauge cable. Good contact area but a real pain in the a$$ if you always unplug amps and speakers. I use the cheapest because I can't hear a difference in speaker connectors.........but that could also be because I'm a tight a$$.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had a very interesting conversation a couple of years ago over a coffee with the Manager of a very well known Australian, worldwide connector manufacturing firm.  I was at that stage buying their RCA’s and XLR’s.  I was going to buy their Banana plugs. Quite expensive.  He said not to worry about buying them and you won’t here the difference between them and a reasonably cheap one.  🤷🏼‍♂️    RCA’s and XLR’s were a different matter in his eyes 

I use Sawtooth plugs. They give a very good connection  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Bill125812 said:

I had a very interesting conversation a couple of years ago over a coffee with the Manager of a very well known Australian, worldwide connector manufacturing firm.  I was at that stage buying their RCA’s and XLR’s.  I was going to buy their Banana plugs. Quite expensive.  He said not to worry about buying them and you won’t here the difference between them and a reasonably cheap one.  🤷🏼‍♂️    RCA’s and XLR’s were a different matter in his eyes 

I use Sawtooth plugs. They give a very good connection  

So not worth spending $$$ on brands like Furutech etc? 

This is my current solution but was wondering if there's any other better ways to do this without re-termimate the ends and also if it's worsth the money to buy more expensive banana plugs like the Furutech (or other ones?) 

20210318_110535.jpg

furutech-fp-202-r-banana-plugs-lockable-rhodium-plated-o55mm-set-x4.jpg