M & K Sound Speakers owners and discussion

Hi everyone,

Since there isn’t an existing M&K Sound speakers’ owners thread, I thought I would make one so, here it is.

I first came across these a few years ago but it was only a year or two ago that I really got to know more when I started to build my HT / listening room.

For people who don’t know them, M&K Sound have had a chequered past with significant highs and many lows too. Seems to me like they are now looking more stable than ever. Hopefully, it stays that way.

M&K sound are renowned for satellite speaker systems with high end satellites, that more than likely need to be paired with subwoofer to realise full potential hence have distinct crossovers. They have been known to be used by high end mixing studios as their studio monitors. U can read a little about their product line up here from their website https://mksound.com

I don’t pretend to know everything about them but having owned a couple of their speaker models, I can definitely  see why they are rated so well.

This is my current setup.

M&K Sound IW 300s for LCRs . Which double up as Stereo speakers as well.

M&K Sound S150T Tripoles for surrounds.

Triad speakers for Atmos channels.

M&K Sound X10 sub.

ATI 543 Class D Amp for LCRs.

Marantz SR8012 as receiver and amp for surrounds.

Pioneer UDP LX500 UHD player.

Apple 4K TV

PS4.

OzTheatre  screens majestic 4K AT screen

Epson TW 9400 PJ

coming soon:

Rotel RMB 1095 Amp Class AB. Possibly March audio Purifi Stereo amp. Mainly to compare if there is any difference between new class D tech and traditional amplification.

Triad Gold 15 Sub.

Acurus Muse processor.

Streamer of some sort, possibly Naim Atom or Nad M10. Not sure!

Would be great to see what others own currently or intending to from M&K Sound brand, as well as what they are pairing them up with. Thoughts, suggestions etcetera.

-B

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/06/2021 at 12:19 AM, BKO said:

Hi everyone,

Since there isn’t an existing M&K Sound speakers’ owners thread, I thought I would make one so, here it is.

I first came across these a few years ago but it was only a year or two ago that I really got to know more when I started to build my HT / listening room.

For people who don’t know them, M&K Sound have had a chequered past with significant highs and many lows too. Seems to me like they are now looking more stable than ever. Hopefully, it stays that way.

M&K sound are renowned for satellite speaker systems with high end satellites, that more than likely need to be paired with subwoofer to realise full potential hence have distinct crossovers. They have been known to be used by high end mixing studios as their studio monitors. U can read a little about their product line up here from their website https://mksound.com

I don’t pretend to know everything about them but having owned a couple of their speaker models, I can definitely  see why they are rated so well.

This is my current setup.

M&K Sound IW 300s for LCRs . Which double up as Stereo speakers as well.

M&K Sound S150T Tripoles for surrounds.

Triad speakers for Atmos channels.

M&K Sound X10 sub.

ATI 543 Class D Amp for LCRs.

Marantz SR8012 as receiver and amp for surrounds.

Pioneer UDP LX500 UHD player.

Apple 4K TV

PS4.

OzTheatre  screens majestic 4K AT screen

Epson TW 9400 PJ

coming soon:

Rotel RMB 1095 Amp Class AB. Possibly March audio Purifi Stereo amp. Mainly to compare if there is any difference between new class D tech and traditional amplification.

Triad Gold 15 Sub.

Acurus Muse processor.

Streamer of some sort, possibly Naim Atom or Nad M10. Not sure!

Would be great to see what others own currently or intending to from M&K Sound brand, as well as what they are pairing them up with. Thoughts, suggestions etcetera.

-B

Hey BKO.

That is a very nice setup indeed as @GooberedAus  mentioned! 

I also have 300s as LCR with the 300T as surround rear speakers. and dual X12 subs. Next step is to go atmos but I'll need a suitable 4 channel amp and 4 height speakers. How are the triad speakers for atmos, do they do the job and are easy to install, which model are they? It's always being recommended to go with the same brand atmos speakers but MK ceiling speakers seem to be a substantial investment and I wasn't sure it would be worthwhile. 

Edd

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, GooberedAus said:

I’m running 7x750 and 4x550 and a MX-150 in my setup. 

Hey @GooberedAus

Cheers. Ur matching bed channels are ideal, it must be a really cohesive sound coming out of these. How did u manage to mount 550 for atmos? Assuming, that is what u r using those for!

40 minutes ago, hifiman said:

I also have 300s as LCR with the 300T as surround rear speakers. and dual X12 subs.

WoW. Great setup.!

42 minutes ago, hifiman said:

How are the triad speakers for atmos, do they do the job and are easy to install, which model are they?

The model I used is Triad IC 33SD. They are good, About 700 per speaker. Can dig down to 75hz and output up to 108db. Main reason for getting these for me was SD (shallow depth). They don’t need more then 55mm depth. They sit nicely integrated within the Starlight ceiling panels which mask them very nicely in my HT. 

45 minutes ago, hifiman said:

It's always being recommended to go with the same brand atmos speakers but MK ceiling speakers seem to be a substantial investment and I wasn't sure it would be worthwhile. 

Didn’t try the M K brand ones, as I had specific requirements for shallow depth as stated above.

Ideally, same brand speakers with similar drivers would be the goal yes but, I doubt u will notice any diff if u mix and match to suit ur needs.

Hardly, 10% of the the running length of a movie will have any sort of decent Atmos mix in them. And, besides that u will need to run Atmos channels at the very least +4db gain above the other channels to notice them in the thick of things. Other things ( room dimensions, spacing, seating, acoustics, processor, source material and how well the studio mixing has been done etcetera) to do play a role in this but that’s just my experience within my setup.

Atmos music which seems to be increasing steadily on Tidal lately is a different story though. Some tracks  are good, most however are so so but at least they are starting to bring out Atmos mixes now.

Posted (edited)

I have since added Acurus Muse processor, Triad Gold 15 sub and Rotel RMB 1095 amp. 

Also, as I am typing this, acoustic treatment is going up and hopefully, that will add more detail to all the nuances within the sound stage. 

Bass within the room has improved quite well across almost all seats since adding the second sub, even without any true bass management being applied. 

Still very early with the Muse processor and Amp. Will post thought soon once calibration is done.

B

Edited by BKO
4 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Room needs a clean up but here's my humble little M&K gear.

Hey @Tubularbells

I am assuming u use the M&K purely for movies?

Are those LCRs 750s? Which M&K subs are they?

7 hours ago, hifiman said:

Hey BKO.

That is a very nice setup indeed as @GooberedAus  mentioned! 

I also have 300s as LCR with the 300T as surround rear speakers. and dual X12 subs. Next step is to go atmos but I'll need a suitable 4 channel amp and 4 height speakers. How are the triad speakers for atmos, do they do the job and are easy to install, which model are they? It's always being recommended to go with the same brand atmos speakers but MK ceiling speakers seem to be a substantial investment and I wasn't sure it would be worthwhile. 

Edd

Inverterd. 

Inverted on a modified jaycar bracket. The other 550 for the surround. The rear Atmos are 750s, they are on swivel tilt brackets I bought online,  but wouldn’t recommend them. 

4B168D1B-05D0-4ED9-BFC5-24D967AA7F39.jpeg

C4C78F1E-19B7-4557-BCC1-20A5D7B182B5.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, BKO said:

WoW. Great setup.!

The model I used is Triad IC 33SD. They are good, About 700 per speaker. Can dig down to 75hz and output up to 108db. Main reason for getting these for me was SD (shallow depth). They don’t need more then 55mm depth. They sit nicely integrated within the Starlight ceiling panels which mask them very nicely in my HT. 

Didn’t try the M K brand ones, as I had specific requirements for shallow depth as stated above.

Ideally, same brand speakers with similar drivers would be the goal yes but, I doubt u will notice any diff if u mix and match to suit ur needs.

Hardly, 10% of the the running length of a movie will have any sort of decent Atmos mix in them. And, besides that u will need to run Atmos channels at the very least +4db gain above the other channels to notice them in the thick of things. Other things ( room dimensions, spacing, seating, acoustics, processor, source material and how well the studio mixing has been done etcetera) to do play a role in this but that’s just my experience within my setup.

Atmos music which seems to be increasing steadily on Tidal lately is a different story though. Some tracks  are good, most however are so so but at least they are starting to bring out Atmos mixes now.

I find my ATMOS speakers are on way more then 10%, basically whenever there is a scene with more the just voice. 

2 hours ago, GooberedAus said:

I find my ATMOS speakers are on way more then 10%, basically whenever there is a scene with more the just voice. 

I mean, u will hear minor surround effects for ambience but true Atmos sound effects like chopper flying over over something falling on top etcetera. is a bit rare, isn't it?

What are your source devices? I might look into my setup again. 

3 hours ago, BKO said:

I mean, u will hear minor surround effects for ambience but true Atmos sound effects like chopper flying over over something falling on top etcetera. is a bit rare, isn't it?

What are your source devices? I might look into my setup again. 

AppleTV only, processed with Denon 3700. I was expecting only minimal sound coming from the ATMOS speakers, but for me, they appear to be adding to the sound stage, as well as the surround effects.

if you have an apple AppleTV, download the Dolby app. It has an awesome ATMOS demo.  

• Like 1

So with my current 5.2 setup, the upgrade to atmos in config 5.2.4 should be pretty significant? Maybe i should get it done faster haha.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, GooberedAus said:

if you have an apple AppleTV, download the Dolby app. It has an awesome ATMOS demo.  

Will try this tonight. Cheers!

4 hours ago, hifiman said:

So with my current 5.2 setup, the upgrade to atmos in config 5.2.4 should be pretty significant? Maybe i should get it done faster haha.

There should be some improvement but it is variable. Only way to find out is to do it, haha.

• Like 1

Thought I’d ask. I’ve been looking for an M&K mx150 subwoofer for a while. Anyone have one, or even a mx350 they would like to sell.

or, there is a jamo D7 on Gumtreee. What’s everyone’s thought son non matched subwoofers, I already have a single mx150. 

7 hours ago, GooberedAus said:

What’s everyone’s thought son non matched subwoofers, I already have a single mx150. 

Hey @GooberedAus 

I don’t think that matching subwoofer matters much, in my opinion as long as the subwoofer performs adequately.