Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for a new pair of active bookshelf or studio monitor speakers. They will be used most likely on a desk and in a small-medium sized bedroom.

What I'm looking for sound-wise is powerful and tight bass response (as powerful as possible in a bookshelf design), forgiving as possible to poor quality recordings and non-fatiguing treble. I mostly listen to metal and rock music.

My budget is <5k so something along the lines of ELAC Navis, Kef LS50 Wireless, SVS Prime Wireless, Dynaudio LYD 7 etc.

Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You might get into Dynaudio Core series at that budget.

There are also some Focus 20XD for sale on here now well under budget. Maybe wasted on a desk but will be good anywhere you put them

The Kef aren't forgiving and I doubt the SVS are either. 

The Neumann's with 8 inch driver are worth a listen but at the top of your budget again. 

I'm very happy with my Dyn bm5a. There is a pair on gumtree now. 

As always best to get out there to demo and listen for yourself. All the best

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

You might get into Dynaudio Core series at that budget.

There are also some Focus 20XD for sale on here now well under budget. Maybe wasted on a desk but will be good anywhere you put them

The Kef aren't forgiving and I doubt the SVS are either. 

The Neumann's with 8 inch driver are worth a listen but at the top of your budget again. 

I'm very happy with my Dyn bm5a. There is a pair on gumtree now. 

As always best to get out there to demo and listen for yourself. All the best

Thanks for your reply Dan. The Dynaudio is definitely on my shortlist. Do you think the Focus is worth it over the studio monitors like the Lyd and BM5A? Wonder how different they could really be? What's the bass like on them? I don't have unrealistic expectations for bass from bookshelves, but I'd rather by pleasantly surprised than underwhelmed. 

9 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I would go with two of these:  https://www.devialet.com/en-au/phantom-speaker/phantom-ii/

I use the KEF LS50W II on my desk sitting on Aperta stands. Really really good. No bass under like 60hz though. The Phantom II will push down lower despite their crazy small size.

Hey Ben, the Devialet is a very intriguing option. If it's anything like the Naim Mu-so Qb, then it just might fit the bill. I remember hearing  the Mu-so at a2a and being blown away by the sound from what is a small wireless speaker in the form of a cube. I thought it would be pretty ****, but the sound that comes out of that little box is stunning. If the Devialet's bass is as good as I've read it is, then I'm damn near sold.

I haven't heard the Phantom II properly, and certainly not in my own home or side by side with my KEFs. But I would suspect they would be every bit as enjoyable. If anything, maybe a slight trade off in pure refinement, but you make gains over the KEF in the bass response and depth, and just form factor. Such a desk friendly size. My KEFs take up a fair chunk of space.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I haven't heard the Phantom II properly, and certainly not in my own home or side by side with my KEFs. But I would suspect they would be every bit as enjoyable. If anything, maybe a slight trade off in pure refinement, but you make gains over the KEF in the bass response and depth, and just form factor. Such a desk friendly size. My KEFs take up a fair chunk of space.

Well I'm all about that bass, so it's definitely at the top of my shortlist.

Let me know if you get them and how they are :D

Before the KEFs I had the IK Multimedia MTMs. Despite a 3.5" driver, they would punch very low. Can only imagine what a high end version is capable of.

Bass in Dyn bookshelves is amazing. 

I see you're in Bris. 

Head to Living Sound for Focus XD and Mannys for studio monitors. Both very close by in the valley. 

There is also Brisbane Hifi for Kef and Store DJ for Dyn Lyd. They are both walking distance too in Mansfield 

Not sure if Living Sound are carrying Focus XD but worth a look. There is also The Audio Tailor but not sure what actives they might have

• Like 1

@Monkey4054, when you audition the Phantom II at Brisbane Hifi or Todds, please make sure you audition a stereo pair set up properly on stands.  Far too often, they will set up on a display as a single speaker and it does not do justice to them. 

5 hours ago, Monkey4054 said:

Well I'm all about that bass, so it's definitely at the top of my shortlist.

Plenty of bass from such a small unit...

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

@Monkey4054, when you audition the Phantom II at Brisbane Hifi or Todds, please make sure you audition a stereo pair set up properly on stands.  Far too often, they will set up on a display as a single speaker and it does not do justice to them. 

Plenty of bass from such a small unit...

Thanks, will do. I definitely wouldn't buy just one, stereo all the way. I plan to audition the Devialet and the Dynaudio Focus when I can. I have a feeling that the Dynaudio will probably be better than the Phantom in most aspects other than 'dat bass'. I guess we'll see...

8 hours ago, Monkey4054 said:

Thanks, will do. I definitely wouldn't buy just one, stereo all the way. I plan to audition the Devialet and the Dynaudio Focus when I can. I have a feeling that the Dynaudio will probably be better than the Phantom in most aspects other than 'dat bass'. I guess we'll see...

You will be surprised! Not many people, even retailers, realise how good the Devialet Phantom IIs are in a stereo setup. 

My story with the Phantom I

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...