Are there any good knowledge sources to learn about the in and outs of hi-fi for beginners? 

I find most of the talk on this forum too advanced to comprehend. 

• Like 1

Looks like you're in Brisbane. 

Try going to Brisbane Hifi, The Audio Tailor, Living Sound and Trimira. 

If you explain that you're hoping to learn what's out there and see what you might like to buy one day all those stores have very helpful and understanding staff. Great to see and hear differences in equipment if they are happy to demo some things for you. 

Reviews can help but every review says the exact same thing in the end. 

• Like 3

Perhaps Jim Smith’s Getting better sound, or PS Audio’s The Audiophiles Guide.

• Like 4

In this hobby knowledge comes from experience, experience of others is only a guide, difficulty being your interpretation of sound and how you like it, your room is different to other rooms, your budget, influence of partner, if you have young children, the list goes on.

There are many levels of systems on the site $wise and sound wise.

Pick a budget, go to hi-fi stores and listen to setups, ask your friends who have good hifi to help you through the journey................

there is no simple answer

• Like 5

I found the below to be a really excellent book.  It’s readable, comprehensive and provides excellent information.

Don’t let the name fool you, it also provides an excellent starting place for beginners.

C07A60F3-4104-4D2C-966F-B6AD300F1036.png

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 8:14 PM, burnside9 said:

Are there any good knowledge sources to learn about the in and outs of hi-fi for beginners? 

There is a lot of advanced discussion on this forum.  However, most recognise that our learning curve starts at the beginning, and you will find there are many who will be happy to help you along this learning curve.  So don't be afraid to ask basic questions here!

• Like 2

imo the best way to begin is if you're lucky enough is to have a friend who has a good system who he / she can teach one to how to listen, what eventually determine ones likes and dislikes.

even a basic system these days can sound pretty damn good. remember everyone begins from somewhere and tastes also change during the journey.

then visit audio stores with a budget in mind. Most sales people are very helpful and knowledgeable. 

• Like 2

The component that contributes the most to any HiFi system is the speakers.

So a great starting point would be to measure the size of the room you intend to place your HiFi in, and find a pair of speakers that you like AND work within that room size.

Placement of speakers is important, so you need to include things like furniture, doorways, windows etc in the room to work out just what your options are regarding speaker placement.

Once you have a pretty good idea of that....Visit a HiFi store for advice, and take room measurements with you.

Better still, take a floor plan with you with measurements, showing where all your doorways/windows/furniture is situated, where you you intend to sit, and where you intend to place the speakers.....it will make things a LOT easier to get advice from both any HiFi store you visit, or any question you want to ask at the forum.

Your 85% there once you have done that, getting a suitable amp to drive the speakers is pretty straight forward, depends what your needs are regarding what your source[s] will be...Streamer, CD player, LP player etc.

Edited by Tweaky
On 6/13/2021 at 8:14 PM, burnside9 said:

What exactly are you trying to learn about? 

Sound quality, dynamics, sound staging, etc? How to identify why something sounds "better"?

Hardware components, speakers, amps, sources, cables, etc?

Do you have a nice system at the moment, or looking to upgrade and want to do some decent research and what's the best path.  to take?

PS: Hifi can consume your life. But it's so much fun. Ha ha ha :)

2 hours ago, Simon900 said:

...PS: Hifi can consume your life. But it's so much fun. Ha ha ha :)

That's one way to put it.  The way I look at it, music consumes my life, and improving my hifi is a vehicle to be able to enjoy music to a greater extent. 

• Like 2