Hi Im an every day Aussie who is building a new home on the beach. I have a beautiful outside Alfresco that I want to play my music while enjoying a sea view. I have the ability to build Blackwood speakers but no experience as to what speaker kits to use or where to purchase from all as I know is I like music and just want a great speakers can anyone help guide me.

My budget is $500 for the kits is this enough? I will also like to know what sort of pre-amp to buy I have run my speaker wire used 12 AWG 2 CORE wires which I believe is ok.

Im happy to solder and make the crossover if this is cheaper to do. All I want to do is get great sound without paying the retail prices of made speaker in cabinets from a shop.

So I forgot to mention

I would appreciate any advise anyone could offer me  

• Like 1

For that budget can get some decent speakers. Look at troels gravesen, Paul carmody, zaph audio and speaker design works. 

Between all of that you will definitely find something that suits 

Probably don't want to leave a good quality speaker outside long term 

Thankyou for that info 

they are over seas I would prepare to purchase in Australia 

Has anyone got any preferred stockist in Australia

for speaker kits 

I just realised you are from Australia so maybe I was looking at the wrong websites could you supply me with any links as when I googled those names it came up with just the plans no pricing 

Almost all of us here are from Oz. 

Buying a pre made kit obviously your money doesn't go as far, the two above are probably your best bet for a local complete kit. 

I would reccemend to look at the sites I listed. Then go to speakerbug, darcher, speakerbits, wagner or loudspeaker kit and buy all the components that you need. 

Much more cost effective but it will require you to do the cabinet work unless you outsource that locally 

1090208628_SpeakerBuild(5).thumb.JPG.5bb8dec94a21ffa7d55049d1570aa7aa.JPG1562957345_SpeakerBuild(10).thumb.JPG.44610210f7990f624f640815d7987af3.JPGIMG_0106.thumb.JPG.b4b004b4ba3e395a68b06c2fca54e36f.JPGSave up a bit longer and contact Mike Lenehan (a member here and speaker maker) he has a kit bookshelf LK1 at around $1k.

I built a pair and they are awesome.

Edited by Batty
  • Like 3

Also, unless you have a power amplifier, then you need more than a pre-amplifier. Keep an eye out for a second hand integrated amplifier on all the usual sites ( Gumtree, Ebay, et al), or put up a wanted to buy in the classified section here. There are bargains to be had, if you are lucky.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, The Rock Puppy said:

Also, unless you have a power amplifier, then you need more than a pre-amplifier. Keep an eye out for a second hand integrated amplifier on all the usual sites ( Gumtree, Ebay, et al), or put up a wanted to buy in the classified section here. There are bargains to be had, if you are lucky.

++ to this ☝️

12 AWG wire from an integrated amp out to a pair of normal ‘passive’ speakers would be fine (‘active’ speakers that connect to a preamp have built-in power amplification that needs a separate power source).

The big concern IMO is the corrosive seaside air. Either you find a DIY design that can cope with that environment, or you build regular speakers and take them outside only when you need to use them. Useful ideas in this thread. .

Alternatively look at a portable battery or mains powered speaker, that connects via Bluetooth to your phone. These can sound pretty damn good and the portability solves a lot of problems.

I recommend the Wagner kits but your budget is too small to achieve a great sound, perhaps an average to above sound. Unless you are lucky to find someone’s well sorted DIY design and parts at the money. Can be done with quality parts like $100 pair Scanspeak tweeters and similar woofers, plus sorted crossover circuit and cabinet wood plus terminal parts for under $300. I once built a Scanspeak D9500 tweeter plus a Vifa W13 woofer in laminated cabinets for under $500 and it was very good.

To save you the trouble you are better off looking used speakers in Gumtree or here for a commercial $1000-1500 rrp item for $500 used price to best bang for buck. Also being outdoor not many will survive the elements for years even if under roof cover from wind, dust, moisture, heat so a dedicated outdoor speaker would be more practical like Bose environmental and others. Not sure what you have in mind for amplifiers so an active speaker with built in amp would be worth considering.

On 18/06/2021 at 7:19 PM, The Rock Puppy said:

As well as Wagner and The Loudspeaker Kit, you may also like to have a look at Soundlabs.

As The Rock Puppy says, the Soundlabs Group is definitely worth checking out. They have kits in a wide price range:
Soundlabs Group

Edited by lowpoke
Spelling

Two Australian websites I've found in the past for drivers and kits.  I have no idea if they are any good or not, but have been going for quite a few years so must be doing something reasonably good....

http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/  (has kits available), Sydney.

https://speakerbug.com.au/  (all the components, but didn't see any designs.  I'd expect they will be able to help with an email).  Brisbane.

"Primarily we stock high quality parts from Jantzen Audio of Denmark. Jantzen Audio parts are used in some very high end products from top European speaker manufacturers.  The feedback from customers, noted designers and my own experience is that these are top notch components that are excellent value for money."

Edited by audiofeline

The Soundlabs options look good on a budget.  let us know what you decide to do.  

Edited by Janus77
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 5:00 PM, Morton said:

Hi Im an every day Aussie who is building a new home on the beach. I have a beautiful outside Alfresco that I want to play my music while enjoying a sea view. I have the ability to build Blackwood speakers but no experience as to what speaker kits to use or where to purchase from all as I know is I like music and just want a great speakers can anyone help guide me.

My budget is $500 for the kits is this enough? I will also like to know what sort of pre-amp to buy I have run my speaker wire used 12 AWG 2 CORE wires which I believe is ok.

Im happy to solder and make the crossover if this is cheaper to do. All I want to do is get great sound without paying the retail prices of made speaker in cabinets from a shop.

Howdy Morton,

Just wondering if you ended up making any decisions with this?

Cheers,

SS