Anyone here do 3D printing in Perth area?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone in the Perth area able to 3D print a small object for me?.  Unfortunately the part is no longer available and the only option is to replicate it.

The object is approximately 34mm diameter at its largest and approximately 16mm high.  See the pictures for an idea of the shape of the original.

I can provide a drawing with the exact dimensions.  It's not a size critical part so precision 3D printing isn't required.

Obviously I'm happy to pay you for your time and materials.

Cheers,

Alan R.

DSC_1188.jpg

DSC_1189.jpg

DSC_1190.jpg

DSC_1191.jpg

Edited by Monkeyboi

Hi Alan 

I don't have one, but a few council libraries do. I know Armadale does, city of stirling too... 

https://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/leisure-and-culture/arts-and-events/events-calendar/drop-in-and-play-@-mirrabooka-library

There's also some guys who have very good machines and do it commercially. 

I'll try to find some names 👍

Edited by Rrobot
  • Like 1

Try e-jet too but heaps of others out there. 

https://www.ejet3dprinting.com

It'll be cheaper if you download some free cad software and make the stl  file yourself.  looks like a pretty simple shape but you also have to consider the type of plastic you use.. Is durability or photostability required? 👍

Best of luck! 🙂

29 minutes ago, Rrobot said:

Try e-jet too but heaps of others out there. 

https://www.ejet3dprinting.com

It'll be cheaper if you download some free cad software and make the stl  file yourself.  looks like a pretty simple shape but you also have to consider the type of plastic you use.. Is durability or photostability required? 👍

Best of luck! 🙂

Thanks Rrobot.

Resin, PLA or ABS I imagine would be suitable.  It won't be exposed to sunlight normally and doesn't have to be particularly strong (not a gear or supporting much weight.  It won't be seen so the smoothness of the finish isn't an issue either.

Thanks for the leads.  I'll check them out.  👍

Cheers,

Alan R.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rrobot said:

I don't have one, but a few council libraries do

Thanks for this.

I need a couple of knobs for my spare oscilloscope printed and this is handy and have a file already made.

Sadly, neither Joondalup nor Wanneroo Libraries have them, with the closest one being in Ballajura.

City of Wanneroo is very funny, because in their annual report state on first page regarding libraries that "reference desks gave way to computers and 3D printers" but they do not have any.  🙂

Typical spin of non-performing entities. A lot of announcements and little or no actual delivery.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, rockeater said:

City of Wanneroo is very funny, because in their annual report state on first page regarding libraries that "reference desks gave way to computers and 3D printers" but they do not have any.  🙂

Typical spin of non-performing entities. A lot of announcements and little or no actual delivery.

Yeah, whatever fluff spin and motherhood statements will look good in the annual report! lol

I've found Elliot from eJet pretty responsive when I had to print a speaker block at one point (didn't use it in the end though but it was quite fun to design). It's a while ago now but from memory it wasn't that much more expensive than the library who of course have to charge you for filament etc. Worth re-checking. There's also guys in perth who will 3d scan parts when they CAD them up for you but imagine that comes at quite a cost. 

have fun! 🙂 

• Like 1

looks like it could be turned on a lathe quite easily in whatever material required

1 hour ago, aertex said:

looks like it could be turned on a lathe quite easily in whatever material required

Absolutely correct.  The material isn't important.  Metal, wood, plastic.....  Unfortunately I have neither a lathe nor a 3D printer. 😟

I was contemplating purchasing the latter.  It will be a steep learning curve.  So many types to choose from and then figuring out how to drive it. 🤔 

Cheers,

Alan R.

If you want it in metal, look for a machinist/machine fitter or the like or toolmaker and if they cant do it themselves they know who can. There will be numerous options in Perth and surrounds. Very easy job for a machinist/toolmaker tradesman. If you want it in any sort of plastic, go to a decent plastic fabricator. Good luck Alan

Edited by aertex
  • Like 1

There is this place in Osborne Park called Artifactory where anyone can access laser printers, plasma cutters, laser cutters and sorts of other CNC machinery.

Great electronics workshop too.

https://artifactory.org.au

The tools register:

https://wiki.artifactory.org.au/doku.php?id=tools:start

• Like 2

Another option may be a men's shed? I know the city of  Vincent one in North perth is very well equipped... Metal lathe? Not sure. Always thought it might be fun to build some speaker cabinets  with woodwork advice a few of the old timers down there. Not going to happen for me sadly lol 

Still reckon simplest for this item  is to bash out the design on a pc and get it 3d printed. 👍 

Good luck 🙂

There are a couple of Officeworks in Vic that allow you to email a model and they will print it.  Check the Officeworks website in your state.  The free 3D modelling software should be able to replicate a simple object like you have shown with relative ease (depending on your learning curve). 

I would expect that with the popularity of 3D printing there would be a number of bureau services operating, or maybe some engineering firms that use 3D printing that may be able to print for you. 

• Like 1