Hi all,

I don't often wander into this part of the forum, but it's upgrade time.

My Denon AVR-1910 has been serving us faithfully for a decade, but I would like something that will do 4K nicely.

Source is an AppleTV 4K. TV is a Samsung UA60JU7000.

Happy with the Denon sound and the idea that I wouldn't have to reprogram the Harmony remote, but I'm happy to look at other brands.

Can anyone share a recommendation for an AVR that works with Samsung and Apple gear well and is <$1500 ?

I'm in exactly the same situation. My Denon AVR-1910 still sounds fine and it just won't die! If I replace it I think a Yamaha RX-V6A would be the go.

• Like 1

Can't you just connect the ATV4K directly to the TV and use the ARC from the TV to the Denon for audio?

1 hour ago, mrdave said:

Hi all,

I don't often wander into this part of the forum, but it's upgrade time.

My Denon AVR-1910 has been serving us faithfully for a decade, but I would like something that will do 4K nicely.

Source is an AppleTV 4K. TV is a Samsung UA60JU7000.

Happy with the Denon sound and the idea that I wouldn't have to reprogram the Harmony remote, but I'm happy to look at other brands.

Can anyone share a recommendation for an AVR that works with Samsung and Apple gear well and is <$1500 ?

now is a great time to be buying denon... with sound united taking over locally...theres quite a bit of discounting in last 6 months been going on...

really if only 4k needed you can actually buy anything from 2016 onwards... if wanting earc.... then anything from 2018 onwards...

keep in mind the marantz versions too... in essence cousins the marantz with a touch more of a music focus...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/06/2021 at 9:09 PM, brodricj said:

Can't you just connect the ATV4K directly to the TV and use the ARC from the TV to the Denon for audio?

Apparently not. I'm testing that config right now and it doesn't want to fly.

The AVR-1910 doesn't have ARC and the TV doesn't seem to want to output audio over HDMI without the ARC part of the handshake.

Edited by mrdave
53 minutes ago, mrdave said:

Apparently not. I'm testing that config right now and it doesn't want to fly.

The AVR-1910 doesn't have ARC and the TV doesn't seem to want to output audio over HDMI without the ARC part of the ARC part of the handshake.

you need probably earc anyways ...arc itself was flaky and very limiting... so something 2018 onwards would be best id suggest if wanting to go that way... this will also have you covered for hdmi 2.1 if ever going that way...where usually you do plug hdmi 2.1 devices to hdmi 2.1 TV and earc full bandwidth audio out ...

On 13/06/2021 at 12:00 PM, betty boop said:

you need probably earc anyways ...arc itself was flaky and very limiting... so something 2018 onwards would be best id suggest if wanting to go that way... this will also have you covered for hdmi 2.1 if ever going that way...where usually you do plug hdmi 2.1 devices to hdmi 2.1 TV and earc full bandwidth audio out ...

Cheers Al. I'm thinking the Denon AVR-X1600H is about where I need to be.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mrdave said:

Cheers Al. I'm thinking the Denon AVR-X1600H is about where I need to be.

If your Samsung is staying put for awhile [ i see its a 3d capable model which have now gone] and you dont need any hdmi 2.1 gaming features thats a good choice having E-ARC :)

• Like 1