The Greastest Song YOU Think Others Have Never Heard.

Everybody has one Song that moves them, and strangely surprises them others have never heard.

What is that Song / Music that relates to you, that fits that brief ?.

ONLY one entry per forum member.

Mine is Mawa Blues - George Harrison - from the compilation album Brainwashed.

I first heard it in on a CD that came with a issue of MOJO magazine, that was among a list of tracks compiled by Paul McCartney.......there were a few amazing classical tracks from that CD that amazed me as well, introducing me to artists I had never heard of before.

But, sticking to the brief, this is the song that moved me most, and still does.

There is no official video for this song.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

Re: The Greatest Song Never Heard

I'm assuming no-one knows what it is because no-one has ever heard it. 🤣

1 hour ago, JukKluk2 said:

Re: The Greatest Song Never Heard

I'm assuming no-one knows what it is because no-one has ever heard it. 🤣

I have amended the topic title.

Do you have anything to contribute ?

On 15/06/2021 at 11:50 PM, Tweaky said:

I have amended the topic title.

Do you have anything to contribute ?

Well, actually..........yes, I do.

Mine is King Cotton - Mike Harding - from the album One Man Show which was recorded live in about 1975.

Most of the album is devoted to Harding's sometimes outrageously funny stories of life growing up in and around Manchester. The highlight of the album, comically, is Napoleon's Retreat from Wigan, an absurdist fantasy of hilarious stature. Most of the rest are almost as equally rib tickling, though to the uninitiated, especially if you have difficulty deciphering his Lancashire accent and/or lack the social/historical references to fully understand the tales being told, it can be an arduous task to emerge with anything more than a mild state of bewilderment. There is, however, one out of character (for the album) moment where the humour stops and a dark social commentary on times past is delivered to the audience.

This is the song King Cotton. Lyrically it deals with the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, in particular the Lancashire cotton mills, and the dehumanising toll taken on the workers, including small children, and the conditions under which they laboured (and oft times died) for almost no reward, to make the owners richer. It's not a long song, but it's brevity adds to its emotive sting. I defy anyone to listen to it and to not be moved. The contrast to the rest of the album could not be more stark.

I don't know if Harding ever made a studio recording of this song, but even if he did I doubt that he could have more effective than he is in the short amount of time it takes to perform on this album.

I heartily recommend it to everyone who has a pulse.

One Man Show album cover I just checked Discogs and they have heaps listed for sale. In most cases you will be paying more for postage than to buy a copy.

Just do it.

Edited by JukKluk2
seplling era
  • Like 1