9.2.4 Dolby Atmos Home Theatre - David VS Goliath

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my system. Its been my pride and joy over the last year and have been slowly piecing it together.

The idea behind it from the start was to have 9.2.4 Dolby Atmos with power amps and a surround processor.

13 SVS prime Satellite Speakers (for 9.#.4 atmos setup)

2x SVS PC-2000 Pro Subwoofers

Emotiva XMC-2 Dolby Atmos Processor

4x Emotiva BasX A800 Power Amps (8x35w or 4x100w Class A/B each amp)

Dayton Audio SA1000 Subwoofer Amp

Earthquake Q10B Tacticle Transducer

The idea behind David VS Goliath title was the little SVS Prime Satellites I use against the big PC2000 Pro Subwoofers.

Speakers and Subwoofers
For speakers, i've always been fascinated with using matching speakers for all channels, the idea was to try and get a uniform sound wherever the sound is coming from (fronts, surrounds, heights). I knew I had to go with my favourite combination with Piano gloss white speakers and black speaker drivers and the SVS Prime Satellites fit the bill perfectly. These little satellites really pull above their weight.

For subwoofers, I went with Dual PC-2000 Pro SVS Subwoofers. which for me had great value for money and performance.  And I must admit I think the cylinder subwoofers have a great look to them too and don't take up too much space horizontally.

Processor and Power amps

I had stumbled on Emotiva a few years ago and found some great spec amplifiers which fit into my price range (wanted each channel to be powered by a power amp) and found the Emotiva A-800 Power amp from America. I grabbed 4 of them and set them up so in total I would have 16x100w Class A/B with all channels driven.

I combined this with an Emotiva XMC-2 16 channel processor and it was like a match made in heaven. I'm super happy with the choice.

Tacticle Transducer Setup

Interestingly this was one of the most important parts to get right for me, seems strange I know when there was a lot more important things to work on. But for me having a tactile transducer defines the setup, a feeling of raw mechanical power under the seat. I had tried a few over the years, the smaller Aura Shakers (came in the Vests back in the day), the Aura Pro shakers, Earthquake MQB1 and eventually the Q10B Earthquake. While a total overkill for a single recliner, the Q10B found its place and haven't looked back. Powering this unit is a Dayton SA1000 Subwoofer Amp which is a real beaut unit providing 497w class A/B at 8 ohms (eventually I would love to get one for the other seat and run the SA1000 amp at 4 ohms - 950w).

Projector and Screen

I was lucky to be able to fit a 150" screen in the space I wanted. I combined this with a Epson EHTW-7100 4ke projector and haven't looked back. The epson EHTW7100 is a wonderful projector for the price and the 4ke resolution was a game changer, even if not native 4k.

Hifi Server Rack

I've always been so curious about setting up a Server rack to store all the components. It actually influenced my amp/processor decisions interestingly enough (and also Gaming PC case to have rack mount options).

I went with a 32RU Open server rack and bought the components I needed, such as Emotiva rack mount brackets and various shelving. 

The other thing I have wanted to setup was to have a screen of some sort at at the top of the rack, great to operate the pc/media player without having to turn the projector on each time round.

General Comforts/Seating

I didn't want to spend much on seating (more money for electronics that way lol) and ended up getting some cheap Ovela seats off Catch.com.au
I also found some tablet holders which had a base that sat on the floor and a gooseneck that could place the tablet inbetween the 2 seats. I just bought cheap Laser 10" tablets off Officeworks and they seem to do the job (one for the Emotiva Remote Control App, one for general browsing).

Really glad to share this system with fellow home theatre/stereo enthusiasts. Its been a labour of love and a system I have only dream't of building, its a nice feeling when it all comes together. @HeyNow Hi-Fi

received_157317046307626.jpeg

received_506430670672579.jpeg

received_197208028934909.jpeg

received_808029610103349.jpeg

received_2891808331039531.jpeg

received_459405501681844.jpeg

received_4117256588354873.jpeg

received_413549406297186.jpeg

received_313406133714359.jpeg

received_319215863165270.jpeg

received_539477077045661.jpeg

received_1230095790768411.jpeg

received_6304483499577482.jpeg

received_506430670672579.jpeg

received_977456156358656.jpeg

Edited by EMOTIVA_HT
  • Like 11

6 hours ago, wilsact said:

Very nice system!!!

Thank you very much :)

My photo skills are not that great (blurry images) but I will be sure to setup a proper camera at some stage and take some more :)

Amazing job, well done on your set-up, but...

may I suggest one of these to finish off your system.

SVS Ultra centre speaker, your satellite centre seems to be a bit lost in the mix.

Ultra_center_BO_nogrille_1024x1024.jpg

1 hour ago, STROP said:

Amazing job, well done on your set-up, but...

may I suggest one of these to finish off your system.

SVS Ultra centre speaker, your satellite centre seems to be a bit lost in the mix.

Thank you very much. You have a great suggestion with regards to the upgrade. You are right that little centre speaker isn't doing very much at all. I have a feeling if I get anything SVS Ultra, I will eventually want them all to be the same haha.

I was thinking of getting an SVS Prime centre speaker but unfortunately they don't come in gloss white.

I know this is really odd but I was very much considering running another SVS Prime Satellite speaker off my spare channel and making a dual centre speaker with the tweeters facing in the middle but have heard all sorts of issues with 2 mono devices interferring with phasing.

1 hour ago, EMOTIVA_HT said:

I have a feeling if I get anything SVS Ultra, I will eventually want them all to be the same haha

And then you end up down that expensive rabbit hole:frantics:

As far as running dual centre speakers, I wouldn't suggest doing this.

The centre channel takes the biggest load for H/T duties which the SVS Ultra would fit right in with dual 6 1/2" drivers compared to the Prime 5 1/2" drivers.

Going for a gloss finish on any speaker you may purchase will reflect light on to your screen, which can be distracting. Besides, when the lights are out no one will care if the speaker is black or white any way. 

1 minute ago, STROP said:

And then you end up down that expensive rabbit hole:frantics:

As far as running dual centre speakers, I wouldn't suggest doing this.

The centre channel takes the biggest load for H/T duties which the SVS Ultra would fit right in with dual 6 1/2" drivers compared to the Prime 5 1/2" drivers.

Going for a gloss finish on any speaker you may purchase will reflect light on to your screen, which can be distracting. Besides, when the lights are out no one will care if the speaker is black or white any way. 

That is a very good point. Heard bad things indeed about the dual centre speakers. I hear the speakers are all tonally matched so I shouldn't notice too much the difference between the ultra and prime centre?

Have a quick read of this...http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-approved-review-svs-ultra-and-prime-center-channel-speakers/

Then go down to your nearest Hi Fi store that stocks these speakers and have a listen.

Then compare what your current centre sounds like... I can almost guaranty you will walk out with a new speaker.

As an owner of a centre speaker with two 6 1/2 inch drivers, hoping you may take a shine to the one that features this configuration.  

4 hours ago, EMOTIVA_HT said:

I know this is really odd but I was very much considering running another SVS Prime Satellite speaker off my spare channel 

Top system . Those big subs with their wide frequency response take a lot of the load of your sats :) Couldnt but wonder if theres any plans to use your A800's surplus 3x100 w channels to add some ceiling middles to match the XMC2's 16 channel capability ?

A bigger cc like Strop said will help with a nice flat frequency response after the Emo;s Dirac efforts of course ;  if you want to spend more that is 😇

4 hours ago, EMOTIVA_HT said:

I know this is really odd but I was very much considering running another SVS Prime Satellite speaker off my spare channel and making a dual centre speaker with the tweeters facing in the middle but have heard all sorts of issues with 2 mono devices interferring with phasing.

strop makes a great suggestion...instead of buying another speaker... just take the centre in question to auto painter and will do a great glass paint on it to match the others...

another option if dont want something so permanent take to any auto detailer.. and get them to white gloss wrap it... again should be cheaper than buying another speaker... and yes two speakers for centre is not great for the combing etc will happen so instead go the one centre speaker ! 

Guest niterida

Put a second Prime on top of the screen so that the stereo effect makes the centre channel appear to come from the centre of the image instead of below.

Also aim your height speakers at the listeners, not along the ceiling.

And as much as having all identical speakers is the ultimate, having all so small is not so good if you like to listen at close to Reference Level. I know this from experience when I went from towers and standmounts to all 4.5" bookshelf. The matching bookshelfs sounded much better (as you already know) but just didn't go loud enough. I have since replaced them with matching 8" Pro PA speakers and the difference is night and day.

You have a great layout and great equipment - those amps and processor deserve better speakers :)

Thank you very much for the recommendations SNA. I have a feeling its going to open a huge can of worms into which I may never get out haha

1 hour ago, STROP said:

Have a quick read of this...http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-approved-review-svs-ultra-and-prime-center-channel-speakers/

Then go down to your nearest Hi Fi store that stocks these speakers and have a listen.

Then compare what your current centre sounds like... I can almost guaranty you will walk out with a new speaker.

As an owner of a centre speaker with two 6 1/2 inch drivers, hoping you may take a shine to the one that features this configuration.  

Super curious to check this out. Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Top system . Those big subs with their wide frequency response take a lot of the load of your sats :) Couldnt but wonder if theres any plans to use your A800's surplus 3x100 w channels to add some ceiling middles to match the XMC2's 16 channel capability ?

A bigger cc like Strop said will help with a nice flat frequency response after the Emo;s Dirac efforts of course ;  if you want to spend more that is 😇

Thanks a lot CWT, really appreciate it.  I believe the Prime Satellites use the same mid range and tweeter as the Prime Floorstanders. I thought adding a pair of PC2000 Pro would fill in those gaps haha.

Great question regarding ceiling middles. I was thinking of adding 2 more satellite speakers in the "middle" (middle top left and middle top right) in a sense. 
I'd love to grab a prime centre speaker and test out the difference. I'm sure it would be quite big indeed.

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

strop makes a great suggestion...instead of buying another speaker... just take the centre in question to auto painter and will do a great glass paint on it to match the others...

another option if dont want something so permanent take to any auto detailer.. and get them to white gloss wrap it... again should be cheaper than buying another speaker... and yes two speakers for centre is not great for the combing etc will happen so instead go the one centre speaker ! 

Thats a great suggestion having someone either respray or gloss wrap it. With regards to a new centre speaker I can see another stage which undoubtedly will mean more $$$ hahaha (but thats why we do it isn't it haha)

Edited by EMOTIVA_HT
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, niterida said:

Put a second Prime on top of the screen so that the stereo effect makes the centre channel appear to come from the centre of the image instead of below.

Also aim your height speakers at the listeners, not along the ceiling.

And as much as having all identical speakers is the ultimate, having all so small is not so good if you like to listen at close to Reference Level. I know this from experience when I went from towers and standmounts to all 4.5" bookshelf. The matching bookshelfs sounded much better (as you already know) but just didn't go loud enough. I have since replaced them with matching 8" Pro PA speakers and the difference is night and day.

You have a great layout and great equipment - those amps and processor deserve better speakers :)

That would be most interesting to test out. In a way like having 2 speakers with mono.

Your right, small drivers are no match for bigger drivers. I have been doing my best to keep relations with my neighbours so it might be a good thing they are smaller haha. Thanks heaps for the comments. 

5 minutes ago, EMOTIVA_HT said:

That would be most interesting to test out. In a way like having 2 speakers with mono.

its actually not going to work as stereo,  as stereo is two signals that come together to form an image. as you say its mono....take two same  signal and deliver from two source and you get comb filtering.... 

https://audiouniversityonline.com/comb-filtering-explained/

"Comb Filtering Caused By Multiple Speakers

Any time you send the same signal to multiple speakers, you run the risk of causing comb filtering.

Multiple Speaker Examples

In professional audio, we do this a lot. Here are a few examples of situations where comb filtering is caused by multiple speakers producing the same signal."

Thank you very much for the information That comb filtering looks very uncomfortable to listen to :(

I just updated somemore photos. Just in the process of neatening up everything including wiring on the back of the rack. I want to get shorter cables (or even custom made rca cables) so the back of the rack is neater.

I received my new screen mount for the server rack. I was lucky that the screen fits inside the LCD bracket (by a mm on either side).

Guest niterida

One speaker above the screen, one speaker below the screen and time aligned should have minimal, if any, comb filtering.

Pretty easy to try it and see if it works for you.

1 minute ago, niterida said:

One speaker above the screen, one speaker below the screen and time aligned should have minimal, if any, comb filtering.

You are right it would be very easy to check. If the speakers were in phase and the signal was doubled, maybe I might be able to counter it with dirac live

15 hours ago, RankStranger said:

Are the photos blank for anyone else? Was really keen to see them 🙁

8 hours ago, BKO said:

This. Keen as well.!

30 minutes ago, G_goodwin said:

Yes, unfortunately I can’t see them either.

Hey all, so sorry I bymistake deleted the attachments with an edit.

Should be all better now :) Thanks heaps for being so keen to check the photos out. Very nice of you :)

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 11:27 PM, niterida said:

I remember this discussion way back from DTV days and it was overall decided not a good idea 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EMOTIVA_HT said:

Hey all, so sorry I bymistake deleted the attachments with an edit.

Should be all better now :) Thanks heaps for being so keen to check the photos out. Very nice of you :)

worth the wait :)

well done 👍