With good prices on KEF speakers at the moment I'm wondering whether the Q350s would match well with my Rotel A10 - I understand the amp is a little underpowered for the 350s, but how might that manifest as a problem? I don't need volume, just quality.

Other option would be the Q150s which require less power.

The A10 is a (re-)starter amp for me too - would imagine I will upgrade in next couple of years.

Thoughts?

Thanks as ever

My experience (with the previous Q300 bookshelves) is that it'd be fine for low level near field listening, but would start to sound a bit rough in the upper mids when pushed.

Despite what some may tell you, the more powerful Rotel stuff is actually a fine match for the Q series - I've powered my Q700s with a Rotel RA-1592 for years, and no matter what other systems I try I'm never disappointed when I come back to it. So, I would take any claims of poor synergy with a grain of salt. It's purely a power thing with the A10 - Q Series loves a good bit of power to sound their absolute best, and the A10 can't deliver it. IMO. 

They're still great speakers, and will scale with at least a couple of amp upgrades. 

• Like 2

I see no issue.

I have a Rotel A 11 tribute, and it drives my LS 50 fine.

IMO, a lot depends on your room sizes and how loud do you play..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had the Rotel R12 with KEF Q300 for about a year and was very happy. Nowadays I think Power as more related to control and dynamics than to volume, specially in a good amp. But there are many other relevant points, like the DAC, the level of distortion, etc. 

Anyways, I recon the Q350 will be fine with the A10, specially if you like upgrading. If you want to stretch it, go for the A11 or even the A12.

Edited by Luciano Milioli
Removed a comment about multichannel receiver, not related to this Yamaha.
  • Like 1

Also run a10 w ls50’s and no issues with it. Great bang for buck. Have a reasonable size 4X5m with open doors etc. 

Oh I do run a sub as well with them 

• Like 1

Hello, I’m currently using Rotel A10 with KEF Q-350 plus a REL sub to increase the low frequency.

They need few hours to give you the best. No prob to drive them with 40watt 👍🏻

Edited by Marco_Rotel
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The new Rotel A series are really very good indeed and are often very under rated by those who have never heard them.

• Like 1
On 08/06/2021 at 9:48 AM, Luciano Milioli said:

That is why I don't think the RX-396, or any similar multichannel receiver, despite higher "rated" power, would be even close to the image, channels separation and even dynamics of a good integrate amp like the A10 when listening to Stereo only. 

You might be thinking of the RX-V396. 

The RX-396 is a stereo receiver.  2 x 50W RMS continuous, both channels driven.

IHF Dynamic power 89W/ch into 4Ohms & Damping Factor of 100+.

Yes, it was a mid-range model, but certainly no slouch.  The power supplies in that series were very generous.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, surprisetech said:

You might be thinking of the RX-V396. 

The RX-396 is a stereo receiver.  2 x 50W RMS continuous, both channels driven.

IHF Dynamic power 89W/ch into 4Ohms & Damping Factor of 100+.

Yes, it was a mid-range model, but certainly no slouch.  The power supplies in that series were very generous.

You are correct: I though about the RX-V (multichannel) receiver!  I appologise and will edit to prevent future mistakes. Thanks for your comment!

2 hours ago, Luciano Milioli said:

You are correct: I though about the RX-V (multichannel) receiver!  I appologise and will edit to prevent future mistakes. Thanks for your comment!

No worries.  It just caught my eye because I have an RX-396 set up in one of our factories so that the staff have a decent radio.

The tuner modules in those receivers were also quite good.

Also owned an RX-596 for many years and it definitely punched above it's weight. 

Currently running an AX-592 in the shed.  Yamaha were really on their game in that period.

• Like 1