Hey All,

I have a yamaha rx-a830 receive paired with a samsung 4k tv Q60A. It is connected to the receiver via HDMI ARC. We watch movies using the TV as a source as it has the 4K Netflix etc and the receiver does the sound part, however every 5-10min the audio drops out for approx 1 second before returning. When it drops out the speaker icons disappear on the receiver. I have a PS4 and turntable also connected to the reviver and have noticed no drop outs.  both the receiver and TV are upto date with their firmwares. 

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

Glenn

8 minutes ago, glenn469 said:

Hey All,

I have a yamaha rx-a830 receive paired with a samsung 4k tv Q60A. It is connected to the receiver via HDMI ARC. We watch movies using the TV as a source as it has the 4K Netflix etc and the receiver does the sound part, however every 5-10min the audio drops out for approx 1 second before returning. When it drops out the speaker icons disappear on the receiver. I have a PS4 and turntable also connected to the reviver and have noticed no drop outs.  both the receiver and TV are upto date with their firmwares. 

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

Glenn

Almost certainly a cable issue. Try a better quality HDMI cable from the TV to AVR - you want something that's certified for at least 18 Gps. Officeworks has some that are suitable.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Almost certainly a cable issue. Try a better quality HDMI cable from the TV to AVR - you want something that's certified for at least 18 Gps. Officeworks has some that are suitable.

Thanks,

I have used a brand new cable when I bought the TV, 1 month ago. 

would you still suggest changing it? - I'm not overly keen to change it as the cable is run through the wall and TV is a prick to get on and off.

Belkin Advanced Series High Speed with Ethernet HDMI Cable (5.0m)

Model:
AV10050BT5M
SKU:
PLU: 722868892442
3D Full HD 1080p support, 18Gbps bandwidth, Single-shot gold-plated connectors create precise contact for low signal loss
  • 4K @ 60Hz + HDR
  • 18Gbps bandwidth
  • Single-shot gold-plated connectors create precise contact for low signal loss
18 minutes ago, glenn469 said:

Thanks,

I have used a brand new cable when I bought the TV, 1 month ago. 

would you still suggest changing it? - I'm not overly keen to change it as the cable is run through the wall and TV is a prick to get on and off.

Belkin Advanced Series High Speed with Ethernet HDMI Cable (5.0m)

Model:
AV10050BT5M
SKU:
PLU: 722868892442
3D Full HD 1080p support, 18Gbps bandwidth, Single-shot gold-plated connectors create precise contact for low signal loss
  • 4K @ 60Hz + HDR
  • 18Gbps bandwidth
  • Single-shot gold-plated connectors create precise contact for low signal loss

When it comes to 4K, if it's not certified, it's reliable as a politician's promises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have been using Samsung TV with Amazon 4K movies feeding Arcam AVR, with no problems. 

I suspect there could be an incompatible eARC setup between TV and Yamaha AVR.  I can provide you with my Samsung settings but you have to look up your Yamaha AVR settings.  You will need to experiment to see what works and what does not between TV and AVR.

My TV eARC settings:  Sound / Expert settings / HDMI eARC auto,  General / Intelligent mode settings off, External Device Manager, Anynet+ on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Quark said:

When it comes to 4K, if it's not certified, it's reliable as a politician's promises.

Ha thanks,

I'll try everything else first and use it as a last resort. 

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Have been using Samsung TV with Amazon 4K movies feeding Arcam AVR, with no problems. 

I suspect there could be an incompatible eARC setup between TV and Yamaha AVR.  I can provide you with my Samsung settings but you have to look up your Yamaha AVR settings.  You will need to experiment to see what works and what does not between TV and AVR.

My TV eARC settings:  Sound / Expert settings / HDMI eARC auto,  General / Intelligent mode settings off, External Device Manager, Anynet+ on.

Thanks, eARC was off so I'll see how it goes and then have a look at receiver settings if it's not better after that change. 

• Like 1

Odd, i have had the exact same issue with my older Yamaha RXV 2XXX series. Since changing to a Marantz, no issues with this at all.

I would also get drop outs when adjusting the volume up or down.

2 minutes ago, occxlr8ed said:

Odd, i have had the exact same issue with my older Yamaha RXV 2XXX series. Since changing to a Marantz, no issues with this at all.

I would also get drop outs when adjusting the volume up or down.

Recent Yamaha AVRs are known for outputting the bare minimum HDMI voltage allowed under the specs - hence very sensitive to the quality of cable used.

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Recent Yamaha AVRs are known for outputting the bare minimum HDMI voltage allowed under the specs - hence very sensitive to the quality of cable used.

Thanks.

I've done some more reading and there seems to be a few others with similar issues with their Samsung TVs, I've played with the settings and seems to be still doing it. I'll have a look at new cable, any suggestions on one, will need 3m.

11 minutes ago, glenn469 said:

Thanks.

I've done some more reading and there seems to be a few others with similar issues with their Samsung TVs, I've played with the settings and seems to be still doing it. I'll have a look at new cable, any suggestions on one, will need 3m.

Looks like Officeworks' Comsol cables are no longer certified, so I'd be wary of them. Try EzyHD - select the 3m length. Avoid sharp bends when installing the cable - this can reduce bandwidth.