What is so great about this projector? | TK700STi

Hi everyone,

Lately, there seems to be a lot of talk about a certain gaming projector. The BenQ TK700STi short throw gaming projector to be precise. I am not too knowledgeable about projectors so I was hoping to receive some more professional insight with the help of this Stereonet community. I would love to hear what is so great about this certain projector which sets it apart from its competitors. Any input is welcome! Also I saw this on the BenQ website but did not quite understand the GIF. To me it seems like the OLED TV is clearer? https://www.benq.com/content/dam/b2c/en-au/projector/gaming/inputlag.gif

Thank you all in advance!

tk700sti-front.jpg

The hype is mostly about the screen lag - it is pretty impressive at 16ms/4k. For serious gamers who are running high frame rates at high resolution this is more important than for something like a 24fps movie image off a hi res blu-ray or a streaming service.

Likely you wouldn't notice the difference if watching a movie, but in a game it would be noticeable.

The contrast and brightness figures quoted look pretty good (10k:1 contrast and 3000 lumens), it's a short throw so you don't have to permanently mount it (a downside for me though) and it's priced extremely well at $2,600 retail which for a 4K projector is getting down to a pretty tempting price.

Nitpicking now:  the keystone adjustments are partly manual (yuck),  it isn't exactly quiet (35/29 dBA typical/eco) and doesn't have the facility to do constant image height for 2.35:1 sources which matters more to some people than others.

Unfortunately I've now been spoiled by my current (old) projector that is 22db at it's noisiest and has a fully motorised lens so I'd want to demo something like this first to see whether the noise and fiddly adjustments are overshadowed by the image quality.  YMMV of course.

• Like 1

Oh now I see! Thank you for clarifying this for me, the pricing does seem extremely reasonable when comparing it to it's competitors. Maybe that is why some features like keystone adjustments and fan noise have not been optimised like some of the higher-end models, to cut down on production costs.  I also noticed that reducing resolution on the projector decreases input lag even further! As you have stated, it would be really nice to see a demo model on display so I can play around with it but it seems like the only reseller in AU currently with stock of the TK700STi is JB HiFi, so the chances of that are very slim :(  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Conrad_B said:

As you have stated, it would be really nice to see a demo model on display so I can play around with it but it seems like the only reseller in AU currently with stock of the TK700STi is JB HiFi, so the chances of that are very slim :(  

If the usual pattern happens, Optoma will have a very similar / identical light engine available for a similar price and somebody might import that instead.  I like BenQ projectors (had one for almost 20 years) was astonishingly reliable, but if nobody wants it and the specs suit you it might be worthwhile importing it with the proviso that if you didn't like it you would sell it on and take the loss.

• Like 1

Oooh hopefully Optoma are already working on something! I would love to see projector gaming gain an even larger audience, as technology advances further when there is demand for it. Very excited to see what the future has to offer.

54 minutes ago, Conrad_B said:

Oooh hopefully Optoma are already working on something! I would love to see projector gaming gain an even larger audience, as technology advances further when there is demand for it. Very excited to see what the future has to offer.

I dunno - I have tried to play FPS games on various projectors and mostly it gives me motion sickness.  Gran Turismo 5 is about the only thing I can stand to play for any period of time on a projector but it doesn't have a high framerate expectation 🙂

• Like 1
On 07/06/2021 at 3:21 PM, Conrad_B said:

Yes there's a new optoma gaming machine coming, thread is here 

Just a note on cinemascope. Many projectors have motorised lenses and a memory feature, but this requires at least 33% available zoom to get from your 16:9 content, then to push the black bars out off the screen surface. You can do it manually if your PJ is tower mounted, but most of the machines doing this today have motorised everything. It's just that DLP has never had a 33% zoom available in any unit as that's an obvious limitation to the DLP technology itself, so even if they did have motorised lenses it still can't work until they have longer throws. DLP is usually stuck around 1.1 to 1.25:1 zoom ratio. Still, for gaming, not a deal breaker by any stretch.. nor is space black super high contrast ala JVC needed for gaming, sure it looks nicer but these machines will do well, nice and sharp with excellent native dlp motion and low lag. it's all you need for gaming outside of improved optics and black levels but those are the hard ones to perfect.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, oztheatre said:

Yes there's a new optoma gaming machine coming, thread is here 

Just a note on cinemascope. Many projectors have motorised lenses and a memory feature, but this requires at least 33% available zoom to get from your 16:9 content

I never thought being able to do CIH was important, until I bought a projector that had that zoom capability.  It would be hard to go back to something without that feature now which I guess is going to limit me to LCD projectors in the foreseeable future, or I guess fooling around with lenses.

On 07/06/2021 at 3:21 PM, Conrad_B said:

Just a few points on projector gaming ; fast screen lag times is more important for FPS games and some projectors can sharpen up lag times by disabling dsp functions like motion adaptive frame inserts ..

I would be more aiming for new projectors that have hdmi 2.1 ports that gain all the features like vrr that come with 2.1 as well as faster frame rates like 120hz gaming . Its true that tv;s have a leg up over projectors with 2.1 ; hard core gamers are a bit pxssed off that theres a discrepancy between the very latest tech and whats available to match it ..

Benevolent • a year ago
Nice article (HDMI 2.1: The Basics. And; Who needs it Today? - A Rant) Given the specs of Xbox Series X and PS5, gamers really want and need a 4K or 8K projector with HDMI 2.1 and the features it supports by the end of 2020 when these new consoles launch. 4K@120 Hz, VRR, LFC or Freesync premium along with low input latency please. Don't forget ultra black levels and phenomenal DCI-P3 color space coverage.

Looking forward to a projector that can do this!

• VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) – The frame rate outputted by the video source determines the refresh rate of the display. In other words, display waits to draw the next image until it receives a new frame from the source. Variable refresh rate eliminates or greatly reduces the problems caused by mismatched frame and refresh rates when video gaming such as lag, stutter and frame tearing.
    • ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) – When a PC or gaming system is detected the display will automatically switch into its game mode allowing for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

I have this projector. Got it when it first came out. We game almost as much as we use it for movies. It is fantastic hooked up to a PS5 for FPS. I had it set up so I didn't have to use Keystone correction as once you do you lose out on lag time and don't get the best of the 16ms. For the price and our purpose this was a great buy.

Edited by noddyc43