LG G1 V's SONY A90J- HDTVTEST's evaluation.

Well if you having been looking to get a new 2021 model TV, you have probably got both of these model TV's on your short list.

Vincent has finally posted his comparison YouTube review on which he thinks is better.

• Like 3

Very informative. You would be happy with either. But if they are a similar price I think I would be going with the Sony based on that review.

Very interesting.

I think the biggest thing which surprised me was the washed out blacks on the Sony which I think would sway me slightly towards the LG which was clearly closer to the reference monitor.

Most other areas seemed pretty close so while the Sony edged out the LG in most areas other than gaming in day to day use I don't know if they'd make much difference whereas I think the washed out blacks with the Sony would be noticeable.

It'll be interesting to see what price the Sony ends up being here in Australia though in other countries I gather the LG is actually a little cheaper ??

• Like 1

Yes, you could certainly make a case for both.

The Sony’s have normally been more expensive in the past, but the G series is also pretty expensive. I agree it will be one of the critical factors, their local prices.

I have just received an LG CX77, about to wall mount. I had gone for the 77’ GX series, but the screen had a few indentations on the panel that I noticed after putting it on the wall. So I went for a CX and saved some money.

The thing I like about what Vincent mentioned was the better motion handling on the Sony and additional heat sinking as well.

28 minutes ago, Ray H said:

The thing I like about what Vincent mentioned was the better motion handling on the Sony and additional heat sinking as well.

Yes those were areas where the Sony edged out the LG along with upscaling though the motion handling seemed a little less clear with LG's tru motion offering an advantage in some situations.

The question for me still is how noticeable these slight advantages would be with normal viewing?

37 minutes ago, Martykt said:

Yes those were areas where the Sony edged out the LG along with upscaling though the motion handling seemed a little less clear with LG's tru motion offering an advantage in some situations.

The question for me still is how noticeable these slight advantages would be with normal viewing?

Yes, I think unless you had the luxury of seeing them side by side for an extended period like the review, it would be very very difficult. I think that’s why other things like GUI, looks, build quality etc. are also factors that play a decent part in the decision,

I don't know about Sony's after sales support but I would be inclined to again  purchase an LG OLED considering the service they have provided me on my C7 (power board replacement just the other week and new screen due to burn in even after 4 years of purchase).  That positive experience would out weight slight benefits in picture quality that the Sony might have.

• Like 3

How did they do the power board swap ?

I have two C7’s and saw the message come up on one a few days ago. Assume you ring lg service, but do they come out to you ?

11 hours ago, Ray H said:

How did they do the power board swap ?

I have two C7’s and saw the message come up on one a few days ago. Assume you ring lg service, but do they come out to you ?

Techs come to you for the powerboard swap. Took less than ten minutes on our C7.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just purchased a 65" A90J direct from Sony at $5899. They have subsequently dropped their online store price to $4995. An email to Sony resulted in a refund of the difference. Good form Sony. The TV is spectacular, and I haven't really fiddled with the settings a great deal yet. Google OS is a breeze to operate.

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 2
On 17/06/2021 at 9:53 AM, Zammo said:

Just purchased a 65" A90J direct from Sony at $5899. They have subsequently dropped their online store price to $4995. An email to Sony resulted in a refund of the difference. Good form Sony. The TV is spectacular, and I haven't really fiddled with the settings a great deal yet. Google OS is a breeze to operate.

How long is the warranty on the Sony?

HDTVTEST posted that LG are giving a 5 year warranty on the G1/C1's, and that includes for screen burn-in....if this applies in Australia I don't know.

I wonder if Sony will do the same for the A90J as it uses the same panels, somehow I expect they won't, but I'd be pleased to be wrong about that.

On 19/06/2021 at 11:51 AM, Tweaky said:

How long is the warranty on the Sony?

HDTVTEST posted that LG are giving a 5 year warranty on the G1/C1's, and that includes for screen burn-in....if this applies in Australia I don't know.

I wonder if Sony will do the same for the A90J as it uses the same panels, somehow I expect they won't, but I'd be pleased to be wrong about that.

Both the G1 and A90J come with a 1 year warranty in Australia.