Hello SNA folks

Optoma’s upcoming new home theatre gaming 4K projector “UHD35+”. Due July 21.

Main specs as per their website:

True 4K (8million effective pixels). Faux 4K, not native. 

4000ANSI lumens brightness. Lamp DLP Technology.

1,200,000:1 contrast.

HDR 10 / HLG compatible, more like HDR simulated I reckon. 
Full Rec.709. 

240hz refresh 4ms lag.

3D capable.

digital zoom ( up to 125%) and digital shift. 1.1x zoom ratio only (manual). 1.5 - 1.66 throw ratio.

auto detects scope screens ? Or 2.4:1 signal and zooms? Not sure which . But, says only in game mode.!
Claimed 15000hrs life with dynamic mode. 4000hrs with bright mode.

If it does do 2.4:1 aspect automatically in cinema mode too or if it could be forced to digitally, then I am pretty much sold. All I am looking for is a 4K projector with auto detect 2.4:1 aspect capability with decent light output. It will be for 50% movies and 50% combined general TV, sports and some gaming use.

It is for our dedicated home theatre room with controlled light but need 2.4:1 projection without breaking the bank. I know Epson does faux 4K too with their 9400TW projectors but it’s been a while since it has been out and I personally think Optoma does colours well. 

Interested to see if anyone else would be interested in this or not.? Also, am I missing something here?

Thanks

B

Should be good, pana had a good gaming machine a few years back the AX100? from memory.

It wont be able to zoom to for scope movies as it has 25% only zoom available, like most dlps, it's a downside of the tech.

But if it does colour, motion and is razor sharp with 240hz refresh rate it should be pretty impressive. The brand is a bit of a dark horse here in Australia but good to see they're still doing things.

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 12:24 PM, oztheatre said:

It wont be able to zoom to for scope movies as it has 25% only zoom available, like most dlps, it's a downside of the tech.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

So, their claim that it will do ultrawide (21:9) doesn't necessarily mean scope? 

Sorry, not that familiar with underlying tech to understand the nuances. 

Thanks

B

16 hours ago, BKO said:

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

So, their claim that it will do ultrawide (21:9) doesn't necessarily mean scope? 

Sorry, not that familiar with underlying tech to understand the nuances. 

Thanks

B

I think all it means is black bars put in place. It 'detects' 21:9 ratio films and displays the black bars. which they do anyway as that info is in the media not the display, like a TV. 

It's a fairly pointless feature as it's like saying the picture is going to be displayed in the correct geometry, which is what it should do by default. They just love adding in feature sets to spruce it up. We are stuck in the 'the world of more is better, quantity', thanks to the bloody atomists lol.

One chinese projector manufacturer had a feature set that said along the lines of using their device will 'invoke a family reunion' - the picture was just THAT good lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

One chinese projector manufacturer had a feature set that said along the lines of using their device will 'invoke a family reunion' - the picture was just THAT good lol. 

Haha, that's a good one.