Floorstander Advice

Hi!

My trusty old B&W DM620's have finally died (tweeter died and now rattles/weak output). Rather than repair it as the cabinet is a little bit worse for wear, been thinking of getting a new set.

A few contenders at the moment around similar price range is the Monitor Audio Bronze 200, Monitor Audio Monitor 300, Dali Oberon 5 and the Polk Audio Signature S55 Looking to see if anyone has/owns or has had extensive time with any of these and their thoughts :)

Any input on suggestions would be great! Budget is around the 1.5k-1.6k mark. They're usually for listening to vinyls and are hooked up to a Denon receiver.

Thanks!

Edited by TK31
  • Like 1

To kick off the conversation, have you had a chance to demo any of these, or is there a shop nearby? All seem pretty solid. 👍

The other question is whether you were basically happy overall with the B&Ws in terms of their tonal balance and whether they gave you enough volume in your setup? 🙂

Another one you might want to consider are the locally made Orpheus Apollo speakers.

I bought a pair a few months ago for $1250 (ex demo) basically brand new.

I think Kiat (owner) said he had a pair of two left in black.

Extra bonus, they are made in Sydney and have real wood veneer, sound great too.

Edited by Petew
More info added.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Wow, that summoner series from Adelaide speakers has just ruined DIY for me 🤯

• Haha 2

I think you need to get out and start doing some demo's.  Maybe take some songs you know well with you and listen.

I've done rounds of the Sydney stores a number of times. Even took my speakers into the store for a side by side comparison with speakers I was interested in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeddie said:

I think you need to get out and start doing some demo's.  Maybe take some songs you know well with you and listen.

I've done rounds of the Sydney stores a number of times. Even took my speakers into the store for a side by side comparison with speakers I was interested in.

@TK31

This.

If you phone ahead most dealers will be happy to set up anything they have, and give you substantial listening/comparison time.

22 hours ago, Jeddie said:

I took my amp.

On 26/05/2021 at 4:36 PM, RCAJack said:

To kick off the conversation, have you had a chance to demo any of these, or is there a shop nearby? All seem pretty solid. 👍

The other question is whether you were basically happy overall with the B&Ws in terms of their tonal balance and whether they gave you enough volume in your setup? 🙂

The B&W's were a bit murky to be honest.. looking for something brighter. And sadly Im really keen on Monitor Audio's but I cant seem to find any local Sydney shops that have them ready to demo. I was planning a drive down to Melbourne as theres a lot of great HiFi places down there but with the virus in full swing, dont think thats going to be possible any time soon.

On 29/05/2021 at 3:35 PM, Petew said:

Another one you might want to consider are the locally made Orpheus Apollo speakers.

I bought a pair a few months ago for $1250 (ex demo) basically brand new.

I think Kiat (owner) said he had a pair of two left in black.

Extra bonus, they are made in Sydney and have real wood veneer, sound great too.

Keen to have a go at these. It seems like these guys are close to where im located within Sydney.

On 29/05/2021 at 4:41 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look around.

21 hours ago, GregWormald said:

@TK31

This.

If you phone ahead most dealers will be happy to set up anything they have, and give you substantial listening/comparison time.

Yep will definitely go in and put in some listening time just to make sure. 

12 minutes ago, TK31 said:

Im really keen on Monitor Audio's but I cant seem to find any local Sydney shops that have them ready to demo

The MA  Bronze are fantastic at your price point.

Have a chat to Mike Vernon at Eastwood Hi Fi and I am sure he could arrange something.

I have no commercial connection to them but have had great customer service and pricing over the years.

Edited by rantan

On 31/05/2021 at 11:25 AM, rantan said:

The MA  Bronze are fantastic at your price point.

Have a chat to Mike Vernon at Eastwood Hi Fi and I am sure he could arrange something.

I have no commercial connection to them but have had great customer service and pricing over the years.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check them out!

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 11:13 AM, TK31 said:

Im really keen on Monitor Audio's but I cant seem to find any local Sydney shops that have them

@TK31 Sturmans Audio Visual in Wollongong also stock Monitor Audio if you haven't already bought something.

Thats where I bought mine from a few years ago and love them, give them good amplification and they will reward you.

Cheers,

Russ

Edited by Rustee