Airplay2 on Raspberry Pi

Everything I’ve read says that this is a no-go right now/ has anyone heard of a way to make this work?

This could be an option for multi room audio using Apple Music when they release the hifi tier if it can be made to work. 

Edited by BugPowderDust
Damn autocorrect

• 2 weeks later...

AirPlay2, the protocol, is available on several open source applications, one of them is Volumio which I use on my R.Pi.

The intersect to Apple Music is not as clear cut at times.

3 hours ago, bigev said:

AirPlay2, the protocol, is available on several open source applications, one of them is Volumio which I use on my R.Pi.

Pretty sure Volumio is just Airplay, not Airplay2. It uses shairport-sync to provide Airplay connectivity.  Airplay v1 doesn't do multi room audio sync and higher depth bitrates like Airplay 2 does.

I've got plenty of devices that support Airplay today, but I want a good Airplay2 solution which would be a half way decent alternative to Roon or Sonos in multiroom audio.

On 12/05/2021 at 6:25 PM, BugPowderDust said:

Everything I’ve read says that this is a no-go right now/ has anyone heard of a way to make this work?

No.

It's possible (https://emanuelecozzi.net/docs/airplay2) .... but nobody has built/packaged anything reliable yet.

I would assume you have considered using a mac? .... You do not need particularly new hardware to support Airplay2.... so it could be had for a few hundred (not rPi prices, I know.... but also a lot more computer).

I’ve got a bunch of macs, but I prefer the form factor and ease of something small and purpose built near my speakers.

I’ve got about 14 zones through the house and guest house on Roon right now. I don’t want 14 macs to do this.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 4:25 PM, BugPowderDust said:

This could be an option for multi room audio using Apple Music when they release the hifi tier if it can be made to work. 

No RPi solution.

I use a few Airport Express's - can be found cheap on eBay. Their last firmware update added Airplay 2.

Belkin have an Airport Express replacement, the new Soundform Connect.

Not here in Oz yet but coming. Should be around $130-ish when it launches here.

https://www.belkin.com/us/adapters/audio-video/soundform-connect-audio-adapter-with-airplay-2/p/p-auz002/

The more I look into it, unless Airplay gets an update to do high res audio, it’s not going to be much use in what I’m trying to achieve.

Airplay2 is knobbled to 24/44.1 with a max of 24/48 depending on the hardware.

this is an interesting perspective on it all: https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2021/05/21/apple-must-do-more-if-its-serious-about-high-resolution-audio/

I was hoping to use airplay to create a quasi Roon like multi room setup, but that’s looking like a bridge too far right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

"I suspect the whole shift to high-resolution audio with Apple Music is really a marketing ploy intended to keep its subscribers happy"

I think so.... Given Apples long standing stance that AAC is transparent and 44.1khz sampling is enough .... then it will be interesting to see what they say/do about it.

I find it odd that Apple are pitching a service that’s not compatible with pretty much all their hardware out of the gate.

They have promised support via AirPods etc in a future software release, though no one is quite sure what this will entail and how they will do it.

it definitely feels like a preemptive  move to stop user base bleed to Spotify and it’s already forced Amazon’s hand at the pricing layer.

I hope they work out a way of putting Apple Music on the large ecosystem of commercial streamers out there.

I only have an Apple Music account as it doesn’t hit my Telstra data downloads so it’s good enough for driving around in the car. Qobuz is used at home with Roon, but if I could get 80% of my Roon functionality (multi room, high res streaming, maybe convolution on one endpoint somehow) using Apple Music in some manner, I think it would be well worth considering a churn.

6 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

They have promised support via AirPods etc in a future software release, though no one is quite sure what this will entail and how they will do it.

Bluetooth can support up to 2mbps in theory..... so it would be quite possible for them to deliver lossless audio over bluetooth using proprietry means.

6 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

it definitely feels like a preemptive  move to stop user base bleed to Spotify and it’s already forced Amazon’s hand at the pricing layer.

Not surprising is it.... as soon as the majors move to offer lossless... then apple whips it out for free.  I suspect it's not "stop the bleed" ... rather more like "poach the competition customers".   Anyone considering paying to get the lossless from others, will give Apple a thought/look.

5 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

I find it odd that Apple are pitching a service that’s not compatible with pretty much all their hardware out of the gate.

Define "compatible"....  it will "work" just fine.

11 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

I don't at all.

What is the % of their user base that understand the differences between audio streams, and care?

Marketing will hold and increase their user base with this. If you're in the know good on you.

On 27/05/2021 at 4:34 PM, davewantsmoore said:

No.

It's possible (https://emanuelecozzi.net/docs/airplay2) .... but nobody has built/packaged anything reliable yet.

I would assume you have considered using a mac? .... You do not need particularly new hardware to support Airplay2.... so it could be had for a few hundred (not rPi prices, I know.... but also a lot more computer).

Hi, this is interesting, thank you for sharing. I've got an old mac mini. How do I turn it into an Airplay 2 receiver?

4 hours ago, jymy said:

Hi, this is interesting, thank you for sharing. I've got an old mac mini. How do I turn it into an Airplay 2 receiver?

You need to use 3rd party software (eg. AirServer) .... but I've just realised that I'm not sure if they do AirPlay 2.

As an AirPlay 2 client, the Mac does this out of the box.

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2021 at 11:46 AM, jymy said:

On 5/30/2021 at 3:55 PM, davewantsmoore said:

You need to use 3rd party software (eg. AirServer) .... but I've just realised that I'm not sure if they do AirPlay 2.

As an AirPlay 2 client, the Mac does this out of the box.

So... I've just noticed that this (using a mac as an airplay RECEIVER) is a new feature coming in the new MacOS later this year (beta is out now)

• 1 month later...