Inside Bill's Boutique Speaker cables

Message added by Marc,

This thread has been temporarily closed - the member involved has been in hospital and had no opportunity to respond and/or defend themselves.

Right now, our first and highest priority is their health - and we would not want to burden them with the stress of this.

Once we have heard from them and they are in a position to do so, we will reopen the thread for their reply and further discussion.

UPDATE 1:35PM - We have heard from Bill, and he is OK but received some pretty horrendous news. I have been assured there is a very logical explanation for the confusion with his cables, however he has asked for a few days to process this information and he will respond here when he feels up to it.

UPDATE 21st December 2021 - Sadly this situation has become most disappointing for all those owed money or product by Bill. We were successful in obtaining refunds from Bill for many members, but the true extent of undelivered orders was never realised until now. We have kept pressure on Bill despite his situation to return the money to members for products he seems unable to deliver, however most communication has been ignored. We have also been told by Bill to "back off" and that upon legal advice he has received, that we are "overstepping the boundaries" of our obligations and his obligation to those members that are out of pocket (whatever that means). I have been sympathetic to his situation, however that does not change the fact that tens of thousands of dollars of member's money remains unaccounted for. When pressed on this matter, Bill's response was that he was leaving StereoNET and simply provided an email address for member's to contact him by.

There is not much more we can do to help this situation. My only hope is that Bill does the right thing by all those people that supported him.

1 minute ago, Neo said:

Had a look at what WE cables supposed to look like. Consistently like this

Neo

Yep, signature fabric outer. Red PVC outer seems like pulled out of the popular (and excellent value) Canare speaker wire?

1 minute ago, Maxi said:

The signal cable is the twittered pair 

IMG_1282.JPG

So that one is a RCA?

Whats the twisted pair inside, little black jacket there? Looks like a single solid (?) copper and one silver or silver plated twisted for signal, and a conductor pulled from a Canare 4S8 or 4S11 for the return.

Just now, Maxi said:

That's the rca the twisted pair are the signal wire the big red wire is the Sheild wire I'm assuming tinned copper or silver and copper twisted together as a signal wire 

Probably his boutique silver one? I think he mentioned somewhere he uses a strand of solid jewellry silver wire in the signal path.

2 minutes ago, Maxi said:

Yes the xlr was the canare they both have the same foil covering them 

This one?

https://store.cliff.com.au/microphone-cables/42-canare-l-2t2s-balanced-cable.html

Or this one?

https://store.cliff.com.au/microphone-cables/51-canare-l-4e6s-balanced-cable.html

Edited by Bengineer

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Like bengeneer said trademark appearance of WE cable

Neo

9863D181-C9FA-40F0-8308-B22B128ACD56.jpeg

Could it be that a single strand of this stranded WE wire is sued as one of the twisted pair signal wires in the above break down pics? Just thinking it’s a possibility 

2 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Could it be that a single strand of this stranded WE wire is sued as one of the twisted pair signal wires in the above break down pics? Just thinking it’s a possibility 

Thats much thinner stranded. The pic looks to be thicker jewellery type wire.

Regardless, the whole idea of the signature sound is its strand count, metal type and process, geometry and insulation. Edit: And maybe some nostalgia.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently bought two pairs of these off a friend @cccrchairman, who had bought them directly from Bill a month or so back. These were surplus to requirement, so I said I would take them off his hands rather than wait for a pair.

Anyway thought I would add my two cents worth, as there are concerns around authenticity. Here is the link to the cables: 

That bundle of WE cable is pretty thick. Bill advertises his cables as having a pair of the wires inside, not the whole bunch. 

Here are some detailed photos of the inside of one of mine. 

From what I see (and I am no expert) this seems legit?

6942E658-DDFA-4628-A335-B67FDC86380C.jpeg

557018AD-D454-4606-9F47-31568965F327.jpeg

Edited by Mr_Fried
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

This looks like a hatchet job to me.

That's a long bow to draw when It's just someone showing what they got.

You need to provide evidence of malicious intent, otherwise you are just making an assumption based on your belief.

Edit: his XLR cable that was purchased as using WE is just Canare.

Edited by muon*

2 minutes ago, Mr_Fried said:

I recently bought two pairs of these off a friend @cccrchairman, who had bought them directly from Bill a month or so back. These were surplus to requirement, so I said I would take them off his hands rather than wait for a pair.

Anyway thought I would add my two cents worth, as there are concerns around authenticity. Here is the link to the cables: 

That bundle of WE cable is about 10cm thick. Bill advertises his cables as having a pair of the wires inside. I know this because the interconnect on my desk is not 10cm thick 😃

Here are some detailed photos of the inside of one of mine. 

From what I see (and I am no expert) this seems legit?

6942E658-DDFA-4628-A335-B67FDC86380C.jpeg

CA866A4E-1952-4FAF-84A6-FF09E19C3256.jpeg

8D8DF8ED-7539-46A6-8851-63E805859F40.jpeg

557018AD-D454-4606-9F47-31568965F327.jpeg

Yeah looks it. Is it slightly waxey still? Each wire was covered in waxed cotton no? He might take that off though, only Bill would be able to clarify.

The WE XLR from before is definately not, maybe just a mislabel and ship it out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah looks it. Is it slightly waxey still? Each wire was covered in waxed cotton no? He might take that off though, only Bill would be able to clarify.

The WE XLR from before is definately not, maybe just a mislabel and ship it out.

Yeah it looks it, the cotton was stripped off, but to be fair it would have been funky as hell. They seem nice and clean. 

Now is a rough time for everyone. Being in hospital is not fun and it seems that Bill has a lot going on. He would not have so many happy customers if he didn’t look after people. 

To quote the great philosophers Bill and Ted: “Be excellent to each other”

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mr_Fried said:

Yeah it looks it, the cotton was stripped off, but to be fair it would have been funky as hell. They seem nice and clean. 

Now is a rough time for everyone. Being in hospital is not fun and it seems that Bill has a lot going on. He would not have so many happy customers if he didn’t look after people. 

To quote the great philosophers Bill and Ted: “Be excellent to each other”

Most excellent.

Yeah, few decades might do that to cotton haha.

A bit piss weak to attack the guy publicly when he’s in hospital. 
I probably would have waited to send the pics directly to him and wait for a response. If there was then a discrepancy in the item you’d have a point. Do you have an email trail of discussion or did you just go off half cocked? 
Until proven there’s an issue, I’ll trust @Bill125812 integrity he has shown to many on the forum over the years, including myself. Hope he  gets well soon. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2