55 minutes ago, GiullianSN said:

Didn't know Cayin was coming with an IEM. But with that setup something needs to be really bad to not sound at least good. 

Well implemented DD makes quite a difference depending on the music genre.

C9...I want to try that at some point. It ticks a few interesting boxes. 

Next time in Melbourne I’ll bring the C9 with the Trailii. Unfortunately last I was in Melbourne … was just prior to the latest outbreak and it may be a time before I return. 

aFutureshop are the local distributor for Cayin. 

The Cayin Fantasy was only just released and out on a tour sponsored by Cayin on Head-Fi. They’re fun, not without a few faults … listening to BA vs DD side by side, there’s a perceptible difference in dynamic attack and decay. 

• Love 1
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's just what I do Ken. I bring people together and watch them flourish. Headphone Jesus I hear you say? Well, I didn't say it.

😎 Spanning the breadth of IEM's I'm enjoying this new thread very much.... Thanks for starting it @Bengineer

This may sound a bit gimmicky,  but I can tell you,   I have played around with it using a graphical programming language called puredata, on a raspberry pi, running as a DSP and phono preamp.  Adding

Experimenting with sources / DAP and C9 pairings and the Cayin Fantasy. 

disclaimer: no conflict of interest other than the Cayin Fantasy was sent to me for a 14 day tour. Today is day 1. I own everything else :)

5C2880A5-9A65-4398-A157-C6AB711E9502.jpeg

C0048C66-6461-4D5C-A9A6-E1AA99B6D1AD.jpeg

10 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Next time in Melbourne I’ll bring the C9 with the Trailii. Unfortunately last I was in Melbourne … was just prior to the latest outbreak and it may be a time before I return. 

aFutureshop are the local distributor for Cayin. 

The Cayin Fantasy was only just released and out on a tour sponsored by Cayin on Head-Fi. They’re fun, not without a few faults … listening to BA vs DD side by side, there’s a perceptible difference in dynamic attack and decay. 

That would be great. I don’t have Universals anymore(for now), my current IEMs are customs. But I would love to catch up with the crew here. @damz87 is the one around Melbourne with the most Dream IEMs and he is also keen for a catch up. 

Edited by GiullianSN
  • Like 1

Accepting offers on the Odin and Nio boys. Everyone needs some big DD in their lives.

5 hours ago, Bengineer said:

Accepting offers on the Odin and Nio boys. Everyone needs some big DD in their lives.

$50, you pay postage.

6 hours ago, Bengineer said:

True. I just plugged the Utopia into the Chord TT2 👌🏻

245DF5E3-2B32-435B-B9FB-333D8F010C71.thumb.jpeg.0dc1265967d0474dadb809d73a8c3c88.jpeg

A splash of black and red.

There’s something special about pairing a Chord TT2 with the Oriolus Trailii. 

Astell and Kern SP2000 used as a Roon endpoint/streamer and optical in. 

Edited by Dr_Kevy
Some initial impressions of Anole V14. All listening so far is with switches off.

Firstly, the bass. Wow… This has some very impressive bass. Right up there with the best BA bass I’ve heard and sounds a lot better than how I remember VX’s bass sounding. V14’s bass has plenty of texture and realistic decay like a DD. Transient speed is excellent. This is a bass response that I find very satisfying. I can’t detect any bloating or bleed into the mids. Sub bass extension is excellent. Mid bass has great slam. Overall, v14’s bass gets a BIG tick of approval from me.

Moving up to the mids, I am hearing a fairly balanced midrange that seems to present a little further back in the mix compared to VX from what I remember. I don’t think it sounds overly recessed, but I guess VX just sounded more forward by comparison IIRC. Vocal timbre on V14 sounds quite natural. I remember not really liking female vocals on VX. I used to find them rather unnatural. V14 by comparison sound a lot better in that regard. I think the mids are good overall, but nothing special either. We’ll see if that impression changes over time but I doubt it will.

Treble definitely sounds different to VX imo. There’s a smoothness to V14’s treble that I personally am enjoying thoroughly. VX’s treble had a lot of energy and zing, and I can see how some might prefer that. However I used to find VX’s treble quite fatiguing. V14 is much easier on my ears. There’s plenty of air and sparkle but it’s not quite as airy as some others I’ve heard. 

In terms of technicalities, it sounds like detail retrieval is still the stand out feature, just like VX. I remember when I first heard VX and feeling almost overwhelmed with the amount of sheer micro-detail that was coming through. I don’t really get that feeling with V14, but I’ve heard a lot more IEM’s since I had VX, many of which rival VX’s detail retrieval so perhaps my ears are simply better accustomed to high levels of detail.

With the mids being a bit further back in the mix, it does sound like V14 has a broader stage compared to VX. V14’s stage still sounds fairly average compared to other TOTL stuff, but it doesn’t sound congested or anything like that. However, if you’re looking for an IEM with a huge stage, then I’d say look elsewhere.

Overall, I am impressed with V14, especially its bass. I feel like it’s an improvement over VX however I’d need to hear them side by side to confirm that, as it has been a while.

I’ll get to know v14 a bit better over the coming weeks and see how it fares against some other stuff I’ve got, and also how it pairs up with other sources. All my listening so far has been with L&P W2 :)
A7AB1FF0-71E7-4F1F-BFF5-CFCFF70B9DDB.thumb.jpeg.82deb2de99822ec04e8e6e5a6cb6a42a.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

245DF5E3-2B32-435B-B9FB-333D8F010C71.thumb.jpeg.0dc1265967d0474dadb809d73a8c3c88.jpeg

A splash of black and red.

There’s something special about pairing a Chord TT2 with the Oriolus Trailii. 

Astell and Kern SP2000 used as a Roon endpoint/streamer and optical in. 

That’s an overkill, most of the TOTL gear on a single chain. Well done, mate. It may sound crazy.

Isn’t TT too powerful for IEMs?

What kind of music do you like?

4 hours ago, damz87 said:
Some initial impressions of Anole V14. All listening so far is with switches off.

Firstly, the bass. Wow… This has some very impressive bass. Right up there with the best BA bass I’ve heard and sounds a lot better than how I remember VX’s bass sounding. V14’s bass has plenty of texture and realistic decay like a DD. Transient speed is excellent. This is a bass response that I find very satisfying. I can’t detect any bloating or bleed into the mids. Sub bass extension is excellent. Mid bass has great slam. Overall, v14’s bass gets a BIG tick of approval from me.

Moving up to the mids, I am hearing a fairly balanced midrange that seems to present a little further back in the mix compared to VX from what I remember. I don’t think it sounds overly recessed, but I guess VX just sounded more forward by comparison IIRC. Vocal timbre on V14 sounds quite natural. I remember not really liking female vocals on VX. I used to find them rather unnatural. V14 by comparison sound a lot better in that regard. I think the mids are good overall, but nothing special either. We’ll see if that impression changes over time but I doubt it will.

Treble definitely sounds different to VX imo. There’s a smoothness to V14’s treble that I personally am enjoying thoroughly. VX’s treble had a lot of energy and zing, and I can see how some might prefer that. However I used to find VX’s treble quite fatiguing. V14 is much easier on my ears. There’s plenty of air and sparkle but it’s not quite as airy as some others I’ve heard. 

In terms of technicalities, it sounds like detail retrieval is still the stand out feature, just like VX. I remember when I first heard VX and feeling almost overwhelmed with the amount of sheer micro-detail that was coming through. I don’t really get that feeling with V14, but I’ve heard a lot more IEM’s since I had VX, many of which rival VX’s detail retrieval so perhaps my ears are simply better accustomed to high levels of detail.

With the mids being a bit further back in the mix, it does sound like V14 has a broader stage compared to VX. V14’s stage still sounds fairly average compared to other TOTL stuff, but it doesn’t sound congested or anything like that. However, if you’re looking for an IEM with a huge stage, then I’d say look elsewhere.

Overall, I am impressed with V14, especially its bass. I feel like it’s an improvement over VX however I’d need to hear them side by side to confirm that, as it has been a while.

I’ll get to know v14 a bit better over the coming weeks and see how it fares against some other stuff I’ve got, and also how it pairs up with other sources. All my listening so far has been with L&P W2 :)
A7AB1FF0-71E7-4F1F-BFF5-CFCFF70B9DDB.thumb.jpeg.82deb2de99822ec04e8e6e5a6cb6a42a.jpeg

That sounds really promising, Dam. Good to see that excitement over the V14 bass is nice. I think I just ignored the VX from my IEM memory so underwhelmed I was. But this one may deserve a second chance for QDC.

How is the cable? I remember I also didn’t like the cable and not being able to swap it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GiullianSN said:

That’s an overkill, most of the TOTL gear on a single chain. Well done, mate. It may sound crazy.

What kind of music do you like?

That sounds really promising, Dam. Good to see that excitement over the V14 bass is nice. I think I just ignored the VX from my IEM memory so underwhelmed I was. But this one may deserve a second chance for QDC.

How is the cable? I remember I also didn’t like the cable and not being able to swap it. 

The cable is basically the same as the VX’s cable, except this one has swappable plugs. Apparently V14 doesn’t have reversed polarity, so it can be used with regular 2-pin cables in a standard orientation. However, it does still have the extruded sockets which is a bit annoying, but I can live with that 😄

I’ll do some cable rolling this weekend and see how it goes. Ideally I’d like to keep using stock, but we’ll see :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, damz87 said:

The cable is basically the same as the VX’s cable, except this one has swappable plugs. Apparently V14 doesn’t have reversed polarity, so it can be used with regular 2-pin cables in a standard orientation. However, it does still have the extruded sockets which is a bit annoying, but I can live with that 😄

I’ll do some cable rolling this weekend and see how it goes. Ideally I’d like to keep using stock, but we’ll see :)

I like the swappable connectors. That’s really handy. Those extruded 2-pins is a pain, but a Big thing in Asia. Let’s see how it goes.

I want to see more impressions of the Orpheus! Let’s burn 🔥 in that cable!

• Like 1
On 11/06/2021 at 12:17 AM, Dr_Kevy said:

Experimenting with sources / DAP and C9 pairings and the Cayin Fantasy. 

disclaimer: no conflict of interest other than the Cayin Fantasy was sent to me for a 14 day tour. Today is day 1. I own everything else :)

5C2880A5-9A65-4398-A157-C6AB711E9502.jpeg

C0048C66-6461-4D5C-A9A6-E1AA99B6D1AD.jpeg

Just saw that if anyone wants the C9, it’s 300.00 down using AFTPY15 on ebay. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GiullianSN said:

It does sound technically

very good. The soundstage and separation, detail and placement on the TT2 are right up there. Chord Hugo2 and TT2 were both designed with IEM’s in mind also. So on low gain will drive most IEM’s without concern. I haven’t plugged the andromeda in to see if there’ll be noise (suspect yes). The digital gain/volume also means it’s easy to get the volume just right. No channel imbalance whatsoever.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GiullianSN said:

I like the swappable connectors. That’s really handy. Those extruded 2-pins is a pain, but a Big thing in Asia. Let’s see how it goes.

I want to see more impressions of the Orpheus! Let’s burn 🔥 in that cable!

Burning in and listening as we speak with Traillii and DMP-Z1 😁

CB73EC74-DF52-4D9F-95EE-5BCAE55973BC.thumb.jpeg.11bd7f79d0134f2251b28d8463746397.jpeg

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Dr_Kevy said:

It does sound technically

very good. The soundstage and separation, detail and placement on the TT2 are right up there. Chord Hugo2 and TT2 were both designed with IEM’s in mind also. So on low gain will drive most IEM’s without concern. I haven’t plugged the andromeda in to see if there’ll be noise (suspect yes). The digital gain/volume also means it’s easy to get the volume just right. No channel imbalance whatsoever.  

That’s great. Channel imbalances it’s definitely a “problem” on ifi products on low volumes. They say they design their products for all use. But they definitely don’t balance well the power output between modes. Eco/low is still too loud.

6 minutes ago, damz87 said:

CB73EC74-DF52-4D9F-95EE-5BCAE55973BC.thumb.jpeg.11bd7f79d0134f2251b28d8463746397.jpeg

Talking about overkill… you guys don’t know how to play… :(

that cable is Thick! Is it heavy as well?

i need to see what is all about this Bird

• Like 1
1 hour ago, damz87 said:

Lol - and tip rolled also As well. I’ve not yet auditioned the monster sony. How are you finding it? Especially with the new cable?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GiullianSN said:

That’s great. Channel imbalances it’s definitely a “problem” on ifi products on low volumes. They say they design their products for all use. But they definitely don’t balance well the power output between modes. Eco/low is still too loud.

Talking about overkill… you guys don’t know how to play… :(

that cable is Thick! Is it heavy as well?

i need to see what is all about this Bird

The bird is fabulous. It’s one of those versatile things that pairs well and plays well with most everything. So it’s instantly enjoyable with its lush, complete sound. 

VFM is somewhat contentious. It is an IEM and the RRP on the cable alone is eyebrow raising. I enjoy the Utopia out of the TT2 just as much as the bird. 

it has however put my other IEM’s into disuse. Even listening to the Cayin fantasy on tour, itself a very respectable IEM each time I have eventually reached for the bird. 

Listening out of a venerable m11Pro. I’d be interested what the m11plus sounded like. It’s such a versatile and easy to use DAP

Edited by Dr_Kevy
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Lol - and tip rolled also As well. I’ve not yet auditioned the monster sony. How are you finding it? Especially with the new cable?

The DMP-Z1 is fantastic and has been the crown jewel of my setup for almost 2 years now. I just wish it were smaller lol. I’m hanging for the day that Sony is able to replicate its sound in a DAP that can also stream.

Orpheus/Traillii/DMP sounds pretty good but to be honest, I think I prefer the stock 1960s for this particular pairing. I’ll give it a bit more time though.

9 hours ago, damz87 said:

The cable is ...

etc etc. @damz87

Anjunadeep.

Anjunabeats.

Cool.

Colorcast on Mixcloud also if you like that sort of thing.

• Like 1

I have to find out what the hell is Anjunadeep and beats… this things is spreading from head-fi to here and following @damz87everywhere…

Portable nutjobs. I need a OTG cable, iFi Signature to Android USB-C phone.

Just. Not. 12cm.

Any 50cm ones around? Or another solution 

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Portable nutjobs. I need a OTG cable, iFi Signature to Android USB-C phone.

Just. Not. 12cm.

Any 50cm ones around? Or another solution 

Use the dirty blue cable with an USB A to C adapter.

FBE3FD47-9727-4CE0-84E3-67BD3BC485E1.thumb.jpeg.562838eb82344b4943cc843fc06e7f52.jpeg

For those who’re not innately in love with the Chord output house sound (I don’t mind it) … the Cayin C9 does mix things up beautifully. Opens up that Hugo2 soundstage and adds an organic, lush analogue warmth to it. 

Not many other amps can run high gain without offending the noise Gods on an IEM 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Dr_Kevy said:

FBE3FD47-9727-4CE0-84E3-67BD3BC485E1.thumb.jpeg.562838eb82344b4943cc843fc06e7f52.jpeg

For those who’re not innately in love with the Chord output house sound (I don’t mind it) … the Cayin C9 does mix things up beautifully. Opens up that Hugo2 soundstage and adds an organic, lush analogue warmth to it. 

Not many other amps can run high gain without offending the noise Gods on an IEM 

That looks nice. Curiosity on the Hugo 2… have you used the RCA out to Amp in anytime? Just curious if that would change anything.

46 minutes ago, GiullianSN said:

That looks nice. Curiosity on the Hugo 2… have you used the RCA out to Amp in anytime? Just curious if that would change anything.

Only on a brief audition with a Moon 430HAD to bypass the inbuilt DAC. The Hugo2 was better than the ESS chip implementation on the Moon - a subtle but perceptible improvement in detail, clarity, separation which are all Chord strengths. 

the Cayin C9 doesn’t have rca in. Only analogue 3.5 and 4.4 inputs

The only desktop amp i have at home is the Naim Atom HE. And I haven’t seen the need (not had the time) to plug the chord Hugo2 or TT2 into it yet. 

that and my Red dawn rca cables only arrived today…

Edited by Dr_Kevy
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, GiullianSN said:

Use the dirty blue cable with an USB A to C adapter.

That's a bulky dirty solution.

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

That's a bulky dirty solution.

I hate that cable, but outside from extensions, I can't find anything.

Looks like I will be using it again soon. A Diablo is on the way.

8 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Only on a brief audition with a Moon 430HAD to bypass the inbuilt DAC. The Hugo2 was better than the ESS chip implementation on the Moon - a subtle but perceptible improvement in detail, clarity, separation which are all Chord strengths. 

the Cayin C9 doesn’t have rca in. Only analogue 3.5 and 4.4 inputs

The only desktop amp i have at home is the Naim Atom HE. And I haven’t seen the need (not had the time) to plug the chord Hugo2 or TT2 into it yet. 

that and my Red dawn rca cables only arrived today…

Interesting, I am curious if hugo has any difference between the headphone output and the RCA ones. An RCA-3.5 cable would do the job between Hugo and C9.

Did you get the flat or normal Red Dawn? Nordost have really good cables.

20 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Maybe I just reterm a USB extension lead to a USB-C ?

Probably easier to start with usb c lead and cut/add on the required adaptor.

USB-C is painful to solder.

25 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Maybe I just reterm a USB extension lead to a USB-C ?

3 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Probably easier to start with usb c lead and cut/add on the required adaptor.

USB-C is painful to solder.

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Looks it. Wonder how easy it is to find the USB 3 A Female end.

I was thinking about that...USB C is a pain for everyone. USB A you find on every dumpster. 

Negatory alpha one. Should have the appropriate qualifications for such beasts.

6 hours ago, GiullianSN said:

Interesting, I am curious if hugo has any difference between the headphone output and the RCA ones. An RCA-3.5 cable would do the job between Hugo and C9.

Did you get the flat or normal Red Dawn? Nordost have really good cables.

Looked like a round one. It was whatever was on SNA classified recently.

The C9 only has analogue inputs so I simply use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRS interconnect with the Chord. That was how it was designed. The C9 comes with the required cable. The headphone out are a direct extension of the DAC/Output stage...

• Like 1

For those of you with the Oriolus Trailii … 

This particular pairing sounds pretty close. 

Hugo 2 / 2 Go - Cayin C9 (Class A / Tube mode, low gain) to Focal Utopia. 

BABD5A64-A34D-4B56-96F2-5AE1389446CB.thumb.jpeg.0986f484de03b052cf06936ca74d6a18.jpeg

• Like 1

One of this is around 5W, the other is around 4W and the last one is 1W… but just one of them has a safe and comfortable low volume power with IEM for my ears. Guess which one.

F0CC5A69-ECEB-4FD5-A3E4-CCAD89177B78.jpeg

Definitely not. ifi Diablo is the first portable DAC/AMP I saw that is not made to be used with the main portable gear, in this case IEMs. Their own words...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm after a new headphone cable for my Moondrop Starfields and Thieaudio Legacy3s. I'm after 4.4 to 2 pin and have a budget of $150. Besides Linsoul or Fiio is there any other nice brands I should check out? I'm not expecting of high end quality at my budget but love to see what else is out there.