General IEM & DAP Chat

1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

That's a bulky dirty solution.

I hate that cable, but outside from extensions, I can't find anything.

Looks like I will be using it again soon. A Diablo is on the way.

8 hours ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Only on a brief audition with a Moon 430HAD to bypass the inbuilt DAC. The Hugo2 was better than the ESS chip implementation on the Moon - a subtle but perceptible improvement in detail, clarity, separation which are all Chord strengths. 

the Cayin C9 doesn’t have rca in. Only analogue 3.5 and 4.4 inputs

The only desktop amp i have at home is the Naim Atom HE. And I haven’t seen the need (not had the time) to plug the chord Hugo2 or TT2 into it yet. 

that and my Red dawn rca cables only arrived today…

Interesting, I am curious if hugo has any difference between the headphone output and the RCA ones. An RCA-3.5 cable would do the job between Hugo and C9.

Did you get the flat or normal Red Dawn? Nordost have really good cables.

25 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Maybe I just reterm a USB extension lead to a USB-C ?

3 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Probably easier to start with usb c lead and cut/add on the required adaptor.

USB-C is painful to solder.

2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Looks it. Wonder how easy it is to find the USB 3 A Female end.

I was thinking about that...USB C is a pain for everyone. USB A you find on every dumpster. 

6 hours ago, GiullianSN said:

Interesting, I am curious if hugo has any difference between the headphone output and the RCA ones. An RCA-3.5 cable would do the job between Hugo and C9.

Did you get the flat or normal Red Dawn? Nordost have really good cables.

Looked like a round one. It was whatever was on SNA classified recently.

The C9 only has analogue inputs so I simply use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRS interconnect with the Chord. That was how it was designed. The C9 comes with the required cable. The headphone out are a direct extension of the DAC/Output stage...

• Like 1

For those of you with the Oriolus Trailii … 

This particular pairing sounds pretty close. 

Hugo 2 / 2 Go - Cayin C9 (Class A / Tube mode, low gain) to Focal Utopia. 

BABD5A64-A34D-4B56-96F2-5AE1389446CB.thumb.jpeg.0986f484de03b052cf06936ca74d6a18.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm after a new headphone cable for my Moondrop Starfields and Thieaudio Legacy3s. I'm after 4.4 to 2 pin and have a budget of $150. Besides Linsoul or Fiio is there any other nice brands I should check out? I'm not expecting of high end quality at my budget but love to see what else is out there.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, treemagnet said:

I'm after 4.4 to 2 pin and have a budget of $150. Besides Linsoul or Fiio is there any other nice brands I should check out? I'm not expecting of high end quality at my budget but love to see what else is out there.

Add Hakugei on Aliexpress, maybe DUNU DUW-02 too, to your list to look into.

I'm after 4.4 to 2 pin and have a budget of $150. Besides Linsoul or Fiio is there any other nice brands I should check out? I'm not expecting of high end quality at my budget but love to see what else is out there.

Effect Audio. Add Hakugei on Aliexpress, maybe DUNU DUW-02 too, to your list to look into.

Effect Audio. Add Hakugei on Aliexpress, maybe DUNU DUW-02 too, to your list to look into.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Bengineer said:

Can you hear God fart?

Nah, not really.

I  hear a very balanced neutral sound (little light in bass) and a little gentle in detail.

Overall really pleasing and soothing providing you don't want your feet levitating off the floor.

1 minute ago, eLicky said:

Nah, not really.

I  hear a very balanced neutral sound (little light in bass) and a little gentle in detail.

Overall really pleasing and soothing providing you don't want your feet levitating off the floor.

If you can't hear God's slight heart murmur from his triple bypass last millenia, then it isn't reference level 

Apart from that, sounds good! I liked those Etys. Haven't heard them for like 14 years or something.

3 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

If you can't hear God's slight heart murmur from his triple bypass last millenia, then it isn't reference level 

Apart from that, sounds good! I liked those Etys. Haven't heard them for like 14 years or something.

I was a big fan of the orginal ER4S, used to amp them up ands extract huge amounts of detail, especially for single balanced armatures. But the original was around 100ohms if I remember right, they could use a helping hand from a decent portable amp.

These new ER4SR are only 45ohms so I'm not sure how they'll react.

• 3 weeks later...

Just Got a pair of 64 Audio NIO's off Ben ( Legend ) I love them they sound fantastic out of my Questyle CMA-12,

That I also got off Ben, and my Kann-Cube...Anyone else got one of  these combos what are your views/thoughts..

20210820_203752_HDR~2.jpg

20210820_203812_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Yetiman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Hi all.

Have been looking at DAPs lately, and trying to work out whether to spend massive, cheap or somewhere between?

Don't stream music, still purchase stuff I like. Looking for something that will start me off, and can hopefully stick with me through the heaphone/IEM journey.

The options I'm checking out so far are:

Fiio m11  $400 (used)

A&K sa700 $999 (on special new)

Fiio m11 plus $1059

Fiio m17 +stand $1800 (used)

A&K se200 $1950 (used)

This would be the start of my high end portable audio.

Any help appreciated. 

Edited by Luke_
Forgot 1 option