W.A.R Audio Reference One Loudspeaker

Item Condition: Good
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Perth
State: WA
Payment Method: Paypal, Cash, EFT or on pick-up
Reason for selling: Good question?

For sale is a pair of hi-end WAR Audio Reference One loudspeakers. The Ref-1 speaker is built by Pat O'Brien at WAR Audio in Scarborough Perth and has a keen local following. Their retail price is around RRP $7.5K - $9K, depending on when you got them. These are the later model with the best crossover circuit.

The driver compliment is state-of-the art, consisting of a Raven R-1 ribbon tweeter @ $800/pr; Accuton C79 ceramic midrange @ $1000/pr and 8" Cabasse 21NDC honeycomb cell bass drivers @ $1540/pr. The speaker is finished in a honey walnut colour and the box is heavily braced and contains expensive Blackhole 5 speaker dampening material, each box weighs 45 kg. These are without doubt one of the best loudspeakers ever made, if your goal is technical perfection aligned with extreme detail and musicality.

The WAR Ref-1 is better than the Yamaha NS-1000 speaker (now sold) shown in the photo. It has similar or better clarity than the Yamaha, however the Ref-1 is more musical and has far better low end bass - it is the speaker I have preferred and kept over time. I am only selling them because I have invested in a big Direct Drive electrostatic loudspeaker system. I would generally compare the sound of these speakers to  the Avalon Eidolon from the USA or Marten from Sweden, using Accuton ceramic drivers.

The WAR Audio Reference speakers are for someone who wants their ears caressed with a sophisticated refined sound, while achieving accuracy and ultimate fidelity. Their efficiency is a reasonable 90dB @ 8 ohms so they sound fantastic with a finessed Single Ended valve amplifier or the highest order Class A solid state amplifier. I am currently using Bakoon s.s amplification from Japan with only 15w/ch at hand, to very good effect. The speakers are in perfect operating condition.

*The Reference One speakers rarely come up for sale because only several pairs were made by WAR Audio. Satisfied owners just do not let them go. Local buyers can audition them in my home or I am happy to ship them Australia-wide.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

These are fine speakers and one of the best ever made.

When I was selling mine last year, @Conrad in Perth provided some excellent info on them and their history, including that they were winners of speakers of the year on Australian Hi-Fi show in 2000 or thereabouts.

• Like 2

Agreed Vinilink, the Cabasse 21NDC is an exceptional bass driver. It has a light and rigid cone with a soft roll surround, resulting in very fast bass notes that start-n-stop on a dime.

It doesn’t get anymore ‘hi-end’ than this loudspeaker, IMO.

Edited by Steve M