Top Gear - interesting, home grown or extreme.

On 24/04/2021 at 10:53 AM, mwhouston said:

Whatever floats your boat. 

1174EEBF-D857-4E6B-A3D1-91D8D9FDD2B3.jpeg

I think 'Vogue Living' - rather than 'Stereophile', Mark!!??

Spkrs are far too close to the front wall and all that glass behind them!!  :o

Andy

• Like 2

10 hours ago, doogie44 said:

Let's keep our perspective...'interesting' rules (musically)!

?

ESL-57 #2.jpg

I couldn’t image this even working rather than sounding any good. These speakers suck the life out of any amp. A push-pull 40W tube amp would buckle here. 

Go Big Or Go Home !!!

Yes this is a home Hi-Fi power amplifier from the mind of a crazy Italian

Weighing in at 1800Kg, It is capable of producing an awe-inspiring 120kW A/B or 30kW class A output

€1,600,000 if anyone is keen.

https://www.onlycreative.it/opera-only

OperaOnly-6.jpg

OperaOnly-1.jpg

Edited by aasza
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, andyr said:

But why on earth does anyone need that kind of power?

Ask Jeremy Clarkson or Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by aasza

1 hour ago, aasza said:

Go Big Or Go Home !!!

Yes this is a home Hi-Fi power amplifier from the mind of a crazy Italian

Weighing in at 1800Kg, It is capable of producing an awe-inspiring 120kW A/B or 30kW class A output

€1,600,000 if anyone is keen.

https://www.onlycreative.it/opera-only

OperaOnly-6.jpg

OperaOnly-1.jpg

I’d match it with my DIY two way bookshelf speakers with Jaycar drivers. Should sound good. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, aasza said:

400KG Tube Monoblocks

toob.thumb.jpg.0a07096b86b006f6148afe7f34503709.jpg

I love the look but the problem with most tube amps based on transmission  - 833s are a good example - tubes is high distortion at vey low power. Not saying it wouldn’t sound  good just stating that distortion in these big single tubes is high. Still love the look. 

• Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 12:39 AM, mwhouston said:

I couldn’t image this even working rather than sounding any good. These speakers suck the life out of any amp. A push-pull 40W tube amp would buckle here. 

Having heard 57s being driven by a Radford EL34 amp a number of times, I have to respectfully disagree here

Edited by Grizzly
Wrong name
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Having heard 57s being driven by a Radford EL34 amp a number of times, I have to respectfully disagree here Andy

My post was not backed by any listening or evidence just my understanding of the components involved. To me low impedance low efficiency speakers usually don’t go well with tube amps. But until i hear the combo - which may never happen - I’ll reserve comment. 

Edited by mwhouston

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

My post was not backed by any listening or evidence just my understanding of the components involved. To me low impedance low efficiency speakers usually don’t go well with tube amps. But until i hear the combo - which may never happy- I’ll reserve comment. 

On paper, yes it probably shouldn't work. But it does seem to nonetheless.

I tried powering Maggie 20.7 a few weeks back with some 845 tubes. Again, on paper, it shouldn't work. And it kinda didn't, but it was a fun experiment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

My post was not backed by any listening or evidence just my understanding of the components involved. To me low impedance low efficiency speakers usually don’t go well with tube amps. But until i hear the combo - which may never happy- I’ll reserve comment. 

What amps do you think they were using in 1957? I used a Leak stereo 20 to great effect on my former 57's. It was a magic combination. I can understand where you're coming from though because on paper you wouldn't think it would work.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

My post was not backed by any listening or evidence just my understanding of the components involved. To me low impedance low efficiency speakers usually don’t go well with tube amps. But until i hear the combo - which may never happen - I’ll reserve comment. 

Normally, no Mark.

However, the first time I heard Mike Kontor's MG-IIIAs (which subsequently became mine  :) ), they were driven by a 250w VTL amp ... and sounded magnifcent.

5 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I tried powering Maggie 20.7 a few weeks back with some 845 tubes. Again, on paper, it shouldn't work. And it kinda didn't, but it was a fun experiment

How much power was that, Anthony?

With low power - tube or ss - yes, Maggies will make some sound (at low volumes) ... but they won't sound more than 'OK'.

Andy

• Like 1