FLAC + MP3 streaming and music libraries

Hi all

i am looking for a simple (kiss) method to stream my music, but also create playlists for my flac flies, and maybe even playlist for a mix of FLAC and MP3 files.

I currently have my FLAC music saved to a SSD and a NAS drive, cataloged by Artist/Album/song.  I also have most of my MP3 saved to the same SSD.

I have an OPPO 105, and a SONOS hub both connected to a 2 channel integrated amp.  Everything is connected via CAT 6.  I use to play all FLAC music from the NAS drive via the OPPO app to the OPPO, but after changing NAS drives, and having intermittent problems, I saved all music to a SSD, and now plug that into the back of the OPPO.  I generally play MP3 music via Spotify/SONOS via OPPO DAC.

this method works fine playing one album at a time, however I would like to create some playlists for when entertaining.

What is the best way to create playlists from FLAC files to play via the OPPO, and also to create playlists with combined FLAC / MP3 files

i also have a Windows PC, and Apple IPAD if needed.

I prefer to have everything locally saved, and not stream from service, but am happy to look at modern technologies.

I am also in the process of doing some upgrades, so if new hardware is suggested, that’s OK to. 
I rarely play a CD, I only stream my FLAC files, getting lazy I guess.  And I rarely use the OPPO for DVD, 99% used for music.

happy to do this in stages, but I really want to keep this simple

thanks

tom

@JkSpinner   You could buy a simple NUC (They often appear on SNA sales) and run JRiver Software.   JRiver can support all your Library needs and you can set up a libraries for flac and one for mp3.    SSD into NUC - JRiver - out to Oppo via USB cable (Great quality DAC in 105D) onto your Receiver.

You can load free JRiver app 'JRemote' to an ipad or iphone and control all your Libraries from your lounge chair.   

Set JRiver Vol to full and the Oppo to full and use your receiver remote for Vol control.

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman

Playlists are generally just lists of files to play. They can contain music from different formats.

As above, JRiver can assist you in creating them.

• Like 1

I use an Oppo BDP105 upstairs.  Itis fed via it's coax SPDIF input with a raspberry PI streamer and an i2s to SPDIF hat.  It runs a SystemD removed version of debian linux with MPD installed, the music is NFS mounted from my main workstation's RAID array (it runs Devuan linux).  I also have MPD installed on said workstation.  Both MPD instances oversample before sending on the digital stream.  It's been reliable and sounds great.

My music is mostly flac encoded, with some mp3 and the occasional odd format.  MPD handles them all.  I drive the upstairs front end with an android app called malp.  It's the only one that shows playlists properly.  Here on my workstation, i use Ario.

• Like 1

Guest dr_carl

I use some free (I think, but not expensive  anyway) software on my Windows pc, its called Playlist Creator. I  made a long playlist of about 800 songs from across a collection of 12000 files  stored on NAS in about an hour.

I use a bluesound node to read and play the tracks, no problem.

So I don't think you need any other hardware.

I think you’d have a good choice of options.

Depending on the money that you’d wish to spend and the level of setup you’ve be comfortable with.

Roon could be installed on your pc and has iPad apps.  With that software you’d be up for ongoing subscription, and depending on your pc skills would have  a little setup.

I also second the  idea of the bluesound node 2i for you as another simpler option.

+1 also for Bluesound Node 2i.  BluOS is probably the easiest to set up and use.