Qobuz Discussion Thread

Just now, captain starlight said:

Ok - I’m all signed up too.  But I am having the same problems with roon - that is, only CD quality.  I’ve gone into roon settings and in the qobuz sign-up I have the streaming option set to 192khz, but I am only seeing 44khz via roon.

a bit puzzled at the moment.

Check the track you are streaming, not all of them are Hi Res. Try one of the stockfish albums on Qobuz... i normally see some those at 24bit 88khz

Has anyone using Roon contacted Qobuz or Roon customer service?  Now that Qobuz has launched in Australia there'd be no issue in reaching out to them and finding out more or to raise the issue with them to get a fix in place.

18 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Has anyone using Roon contacted Qobuz or Roon customer service?  Now that Qobuz has launched in Australia there'd be no issue in reaching out to them and finding out more or to raise the issue with them to get a fix in place.

Has Qobuz officially launched in Australia?

I know a few more people have been able to sign up, but I haven't seen any announcement.

From what I can see the material that has actually been released in Hi-res plays back at the correct rate in Roon.

The problem is that the majority of titles, particularly popular music in the hi-res playlists, is only available in CD quality at this stage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tobes said:

I know a few more people have been able to sign up, but I haven't seen any announcement.

From what I can see the material that has actually been released in Hi-res plays back at the correct rate in Roon.

The problem is that the majority of titles, particularly popular music in the hi-res playlists, is only available in CD quality at this stage. 

I am searching qobuz via roon and cannot see or find any hires.  Looked up Floyd, mikes davis, Fleetwood Mac etc.  nothing is listed or shown for hires.   even went to the hires qobuz playlists and play them and they come through at CD quality.  They are listed as hires but roon only plays them as CD.  So no go for me - yet.

still can’t use soundiiz either ?

I am prepared to wait a few days though and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Tobes said:

I had a vague recollection that the date mentioned for the launch was 14 April, I will wait to see what the situation is after the official launch.

3 minutes ago, captain starlight said:

I am searching qobuz via roon and cannot see or find any hires.  Looked up Floyd, mikes davis, Fleetwood Mac etc.  nothing is listed or shown for hires.   even went to the hires qobuz playlists and play them and they come through at CD quality.  They are listed as hires but roon only plays them as CD.  So no go for me - yet.

still can’t use soundiiz either ?

I am prepared to wait a few days though and see what happens.

Look in the Classical genre, there is a fair amount of Hi-res.

Try this title: https://i.imgur.com/KsXjGVA.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tobes said:

Look in the Classical genre, there is a fair amount of Hi-res.

Try this title: https://i.imgur.com/KsXjGVA.png

Ok that works and streams at 192 via roon.  So all good there.

‘the mystery now is where are all the hi-res stuff in other genres - no hires dark side, rumours, kind of blue etc..  even the hi-res jazz soundtracks only play in CD quality - but this classical one works.

I’m stumped and just put it down - for now, as service not fully ready yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, captain starlight said:

Ok that works and streams at 192 via roon.  So all good there.

‘the mystery now is where are all the hi-res stuff in other genres - no hires dark side, rumours, kind of blue etc..  even the hi-res jazz soundtracks only play in CD quality - but this classical one works.

I’m stumped and just put it down - for now, as service not fully ready yet.

The jazz titles that have been released in Hi-res play back fine in Roon - it's the same story, many titles are still pending release in Hi-res.

In the Qobuz app if the title shows  ''Hi-res version available for preorder'' at some date (and mostly the dates are in the past) then the  Hi-res won't be available. If it says ''available in'' xx resolution then the Hi-res will be available. 

If you have Roon set to show the sampling rate in the album view this makes the Hi-res titles easier to find (in Roon).

13 minutes ago, Tobes said:

The jazz titles that have been released in Hi-res play back fine in Roon - it's the same story, many titles are still pending release in Hi-res.

In the Qobuz app if the title shows  ''Hi-res version available for preorder'' at some date (and mostly the dates are in the past) then the  Hi-res won't be available. If it says ''available in'' xx resolution then the Hi-res will be available. 

If you have Roon set to show the sampling rate in the album view this makes the Hi-res titles easier to find (in Roon).

Can you name some of those titles as I’m having troubles finding hi-res tracks.   Is there a way to search on track resolution?

I just signed up for a free trial of studio premier, the only subscription available on the iPad app, but I'm fine with that.

I'm listening to Beethoven: The Violin Sonatas - Zimmerman and Helmchen. The Qobuz app says it's in Hi-Res/96kHz. I'm listening via my Bluesound Node and in the BluOS app it just says HR.

First impressions are good, particularly the way the app has three pages, showing the current track, queue etc. I have barely used it so don't have much more to add. The SQ isn't remarkable but it's not the highest quality they have so...

2 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

First impressions are good, particularly the way the app has three pages, showing the current track, queue etc. I have barely used it so don't have much more to add. The SQ isn't remarkable but it's not the highest quality they have so...

I think even the SQ of even 16/44 Qobuz material is very good - especially via the Qobuz app.

As always, mastering matters more than the resolution. 24/192 won't guarantee audio bliss.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, captain starlight said:

Can you name some of those titles as I’m having troubles finding hi-res tracks.   Is there a way to search on track resolution?

Not much classic/mainstream jazz in hi-res at the moment.

Have a look at the ECM label for some Hi-res titles.

Right now I'm listening to this Bireli Lagrene album that I've also enjoyed via Tidal - only in 24/48, but a great sounding album.

Capture.PNG.22c2b6b88e8dde9e2d5f99dc75bedd0d.PNG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hammerharry said:

Could the resolution issue be label dependant?

Almost certainly related to pending content deals with labels.

Hopefully on the official launch day this will change.

• Like 2

This is not just for Roon users but anyone using Qobuz...

Roon users may have already done this but if not and you want to test Roon a bit scroll through the Qobuz page to find Qobuz Playlists, then select HiRes tab... then on far right select see all.

This gives you all the playlists in HiRes as per your selected genres

I am not a Roon user as indicated earlier in this thread so apologies if this is not how Roon works, but AFAIK if you select one of these HiRes playlists you should get to test if Roon is working the way you want it?

In any case it might also help others wanting to mess around with playlists and get some Hi-Res playback while navigating and setting up Qobuz and if your DAC etc shows you bitrate you can easily cross reference the playback vs the indicated file, remember to ensure you have your playback setting in Qobuz or BluOs etc etc set to playback maximum rate 24/192 otherwise it will likely top out at 96khz

I took a few screen shot examples...

Choose your genres

Capture999.JPG.a9a8341e5d9e61b239fa894b5246fed8.JPG

Select Hi-Res then on far right hit See All Hi-Res

Capture1000.thumb.JPG.24eb2e9d4ae570a9e8f0e67c1584e2ba.JPG

Something like this should then comme up - depending on your genres it will differ obviously.

Capture2001.thumb.JPG.1c30a73d3ee24c94ec8b4c8ba079e5e1.JPG

Hope this assists someone/anyone!

cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobes said:

I think even the SQ of even 16/44 Qobuz material is very good - especially via the Qobuz app.

As always, mastering matters more than the resolution. 24/192 won't guarantee audio bliss.

Possibly. I played my goto demo track "Keith Don't Go" by Nils Lofgren, which they have in CD quality and it sounded excellent, but it does in most setups. Some aspects did stand out though, so you may be right.

I've had the same issue as others with HR tracks playing in CD quality. Besides that Beethoven album I listened to part of, everything else HR hasn't played in HR iirc. I tried a 'hottest 100 albums in HR' or similar playlist and all tracks played in CD quality.

It can't be the Node affecting it, as I also played the Beethoven tracks via that in HR. It MAY be due to poor internet though. My connection isn't great at the best of times, but work is currently being done on the local infrastructure apparently. Again though, those Beethoven tracks were in HR so stuffed if I know.

I can play tracks in the Qobuz app and airplay or chromecast to my AVR, but don't utilise my best amp+dac that way.

Something I found in my playing around with Qobuz - this is available in high-res but on tidal it's the cd version. Try 'Even Now' if you are interested,,,

IMG_20210413_200317.png

Edited by rowbo
clarity....

2 hours ago, Tobes said:

Have a look at the ECM label for some Hi-res titles.

Actually I might have given a bum steer by mentioning ECM - the Hi-res titles on that label appear to be pending.

It was the ACT Music label I was thinking of that had a fair bit of Hi-res material - but the jazz categorized music tends to be a bit bland for my taste. 

13 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

just checked google play, seems its still not there for android, im sure by EoD it will be though...

Qobuz Android app now available on Google Play as you predicted.

• Like 2

alrighty, the API error appears to be fixed, I can use the Soundiiz app and now connect to Qobuz.

Have successfully copied my favourite artists over, all OK.

Copied a playlist, over, got 49 matches out of 51 tracks, so approximately a 98% match rate.

Currently running a batch to copy over my favourites from Tidal to Qobuz, hope that match rate stays high or better.

• Like 2