Hi. New to the forum. Undecided Arcam AVR 850 (older model)  or Marantz SR8015 ? Love to watch movies in Dolby Athmos and also  2 channel stereo. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/03/2021 at 4:35 PM, Jagosia said:

Hi. New to the forum. Undecided Arcam AVR 850 (older model)  or Marantz SR8015 ? Love to watch movies in Dolby Athmos and also  2 channel stereo. 

Hi Jan, I have no experience with the Arcam but am a Marantz fan. Previously owned the SR96 & SR8002...now have the SR6012 but am thinking of upgrading to the SR8015. I have the same queries as I love watching movies and also 2 channel stereo.

I downgraded from SR8002 (damaged and unrepairable HDMI board) a few years ago to a Marantz SR6012 (due to lack of funds) which is currently hooked up to an ANTHEM MCA325 - Power Amplifier 3 channel x 225w (8 ohm), but not totally happy with the music/stereo side of this set up. Below are some options I am considering:
  1. upgrade to the SR8015, would I still require a power amp and if yes which one? SR8015 = 140w vs current set up = 225w
  2. keep the SR6012 and add a Hegel H390 for the Stereo (bypass HT)
Current set up 5.1 but listen a lot to stereo (CD's & Tidal & Spotify via Bluesound Node 2i). My sub is a REL T7i

Any other recommendations to consider? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. TIA
Guest dr_carl

What speakers are you driving with the anthem? Maybe they don't go together well. I have not heard one, but it looks like should be OK with the right speakers. Speaker positions could have a role to play also...often the best placement gets complaints from others who use the room...so you put them in convenient places where they don't sound so good...so many compromises.

I'm lucky my partner understands my needs and we have no conflict. 

While I  initially was a fan of 5.1 I've gone back to 2.0...the music is much better and my movies are not much worse, so I'm happy, but that's me, you might feel different.

The only survivor from my 5.1 days is my BDP going into my TV, with optical out to my Bluesound. 

My NAD AVR died in 2013 and chose not to replace it. No regrets.

I recently (over the last 6 months or so) replaced both my amp & speakers to my current system (see below) and am not motivated at all to have fat AVR or speakers and cables running everywhere.

If music is your first love, then go for changes that make music better...movies still sound pretty awesome. 

I hope I'm helping here...

18 minutes ago, dr_carl said:

What speakers are you driving with the anthem? Maybe they don't go together well. I have not heard one, but it looks like should be OK with the right speakers. Speaker positions could have a role to play also...often the best placement gets complaints from others who use the room...so you put them in convenient places where they don't sound so good...so many compromises.

I'm lucky my partner understands my needs and we have no conflict. 

While I  initially was a fan of 5.1 I've gone back to 2.0...the music is much better and my movies are not much worse, so I'm happy, but that's me, you might feel different.

The only survivor from my 5.1 days is my BDP going into my TV, with optical out to my Bluesound. 

My NAD AVR died in 2013 and chose not to replace it. No regrets.

I recently (over the last 6 months or so) replaced both my amp & speakers to my current system (see below) and am not motivated at all to have fat AVR or speakers and cables running everywhere.

If music is your first love, then go for changes that make music better...movies still sound pretty awesome. 

I hope I'm helping here...

thanks dr_carl

my fronts are Chario Academy 2, center is Paradigm CC-470; suurrounds are PSB Image B5

the 5.1 sound is great the stereo is pretty good  just need an improvement....I think I tend to lean to the Chario dealer's recommendation....Hegel H390 

Guest dr_carl

I'm thinking it's how your AVR's preamp works is fine for movies but only OK for music in your situation (including room acoustics).

Maybe your subject to "fear of missing out". Its hard to resist. I fail regularly to exercise appropriate self discipline when that happens. I just try to limit the cost...sometimes. 

Its your life...do what you can live with.

I used to have an emotiva power amp controlled by my AVR, which sounded great to me until plugged in a tube preamp to it one day...I  liked the new sound much more...the rest is history. 

11 hours ago, papaBear said:

Dolby Athmos

So Dolby have already made Atmos obsolete, that didn't last long !!!

Another option to consider - if your budget allows - is the Marantz SR8012 - the last generation flagship only missing out on the problematic HDMI 2.1 chipset and a few other things. Currently available discounted to around $4500-4800 at various Marantz dealers.  Cheapest is Video Pro at $4500 with an open box one at $4180.

I have just installed a SR8012 today to replace a Yamaha RX-A3020 to get 4K support, HDR/.Dolby Vision, 11.power channels as I am going 7.1.4. 

• Like 2