Network streamer transport

Tiki

11 minutes ago, Tiki said:

Thanks for this!

Always good to have alternatives.

Do you have one of theirs? On a Lumin U1 Mini too? 

I like having an upgrade path like this. Something to look forward to in small steps.

Nope, I don't have Clay's PSU (called Kraftwerk). There are quite a few users here that have them, and they are highly praised. I think Clay offers a 30 day return policy if you are inclined to try out.

I have an Auralic streaming transport with the Auralic external PSU - so no experience with Lumin. I am very happy with mine. Naim, Auralic, Lumin, Aurinder, Linn are the usual candidates if you are looking for a network streamer in the $5K range

Yes, probably best to start with the standard PSU, and then add an external one so that you can notice any changes in sound quality as you upgrade

Edited by anandpkumar

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

@evil c  did you notice much difference in sound quality? I am looking at one of these myself. 

Yes it provided a solid improvement,  more dynamic and better soundstage. 

6 minutes ago, Tiki said:

Evil, Thanks! I think I can handle that.

But first I need to get the U1 Mini first.

Any tips on where to get a good deal from?

Tougher to get good deals with the shortage of availability, so best one would be buying a 2nd hand one.

They come up occasionally on here.

That's how I did it.  ?

• Like 1

On 07/03/2021 at 12:15 PM, Tony B said:

Question... On the T2, if used as a Roon endpoint and with a USB Dac connected, does Roon see both the T2 and the USB Dac as endpoints or do you need to switch the T2 into a mode to see the connected Dac? I'm showing a little interest in your T2.

For T2 output to USB DAC, it needs to be switched using Lumin app from Analog to USB output.

If you don't ever use the T2 internal DAC (analog output), you're probably better off using U1 MINI instead unless you require DSD512 (for Linux native DSD compatible DAC only).

That being said, I do encourage users to try out our internal DAC (on T2 X1 D2, etc.), with DSD512 capability (T2 X1 only) and full MQA decoding.

Edited by wklie

Got the Lumin U1 Mini this afternoon.

First hour of listening it sounded like am radio which was way below my laptop Jriver streaming.

The SQ improved quite drastically after. The USB  output is disappointing so far. Hope I will get better. Found the AES output much better. Is this every owner's finding? Please feedback.

There are also issues with the Lumin app used with Minimserver. I am getting album duplicates. They are not always exact duplicates, sometimes only a few tracks are duplicated. Please help to resolve. Sos!

1 hour ago, Tiki said:

First hour of listening it sounded like am radio which was way below my laptop Jriver streaming.

The SQ improved quite drastically after. The USB  output is disappointing so far. Hope I will get better. Found the AES output much better. Is this every owner's finding? Please feedback.

There are also issues with the Lumin app used with Minimserver. I am getting album duplicates. They are not always exact duplicates, sometimes only a few tracks are duplicated. Please help to resolve. Sos!

What USB cable you are using? Also the iOS version of lumin app is much better than Android version. I use roon, the compatibility is flawless.

18 hours ago, Tiki said:

The duplicate album issue is sorted now. I actually had a mixture of flac and wav files on the NAS.

U1M usb is now preferred over the AES after 24h of burn in. The latter was found to be too edgy. Regardless it hasn't surpassed my old laptop yet.

Getting more acquainted with the Lumin app and as such easier to navigate.

14 hours ago, Tiki said:

My usb cable is JCAT twin cable design which I could use with my laptop but not with U1M.

I don't have an ipad.

use usb isolator might be helpful. I am using ifi one which is good.

The twin cable actually worked as there are two usb sockets on U1M. 

The sound from it is gradually becoming better. There is substance and palpability in voices and instruments. 

12 hours ago, Tiki said:

What is an usb isolator?

I use this one with a external linear power supply.

Also for all dac and preamp I use power Purifier, cheap and effective.

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, audiome said:

We have compared lumin t2 as a streamer with sotm sms200ultra neo. T2 sounded horrible compared to sotm. 

Very helpful, OP bought a Lumin.

Luckily it's the U1 Mini like mine. ?