Spotify Discussion Thread

Hi-res is defined as anything with higher bit/sample rate than 16/44.1. Tidal streams lossless 16/44.1, Spotify lossy 16/44.1.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think you will find that Spotify premium streams up to 320kbps (Ogg Vorbis) rather than 16/44.1 Edited by Station

So how does one get tidal to work atm?

Via a VPN that gives you a virtual USA or UK location. I'm going to suspend my Tidal membership as I find it cumbersome to have to fire up 2 applications to use it. I'd prefer it if Spotify upgraded their premium service to lossless Redbook quality though. I'd also like a decent ADSL connection but let's not go there...

Hi-res is defined as anything with higher bit/sample rate than 16/44.1. Tidal streams lossless 16/44.1, Spotify lossy 16/44.1.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ah yes, apologies - John's spot on. Further to that there entire collection isn't completely lossless. There's quite a few albums that look to be lossy 16/44.1. 

The reality is the interface, collection/catalog and overall user experience has a lot of ground to make up to be even considered anywhere near the Spotify experience. All of this, honestly though fades into the inconsequential when you hear the difference in SQ. I couldn't listen to Spotify again (note: touch dramatic on my part).

Once the initial disappointment and sense of frustration at the fact their collection isn't 100% lossless faded I made a decision to stick with Tidal (the first few days I was touch and go on whether I'd drop them all together) mainly because I really want their business model to work. I believe in a seamless and accessible customer experience when it comes to high quality music consumption and since Tidal (and Qobuz in France I think?) is the only player in this space I'm happy to back them as an early adopter and hope that my support (and others like me) will allow them the breathing space (read: cash flow) to iron out their bugs and settle on a world class product (again, they've got a way to go before they're there). Despite the best efforts of our politicians Australia for the most part has the infrastructure to support services like Tidal and the future's bright with the likes of Aurender supporting the service. I've ever heard Jay-Z is considering buying them (apparently he's an astute businessman). 

So how does one get tidal to work atm?

Via a VPN that gives you a virtual USA or UK location. I'm going to suspend my Tidal membership as I find it cumbersome to have to fire up 2 applications to use it. I'd prefer it if Spotify upgraded their premium service to lossless Redbook quality though. I'd also like a decent ADSL connection but let's not go there...

I don't use a VPN but rather a DNS server, specifically UnoTelly who offer great customer service, competitive pricing and a fantastic & broad product offering. Running Tidal via a DNS server is very easy to setup and provides a much faster and smoother experience over VPN. 

Has anyone had that issue where you control spotify on your computer from your iphone via "connect" and the song you select doesn't start from the beginning it skips to about 20-30 seconds into the song ? It's catastrophically irritating .

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like a proper test CD vs Spotify Premium (HQ, 320 kbps). They even compared the waveforms and frequency distributions!

Result: there is a minimal difference visible on the charts on the waveforms and frequency distributions, however the guy who undertook the test could not hear it in blind tests ( and neither can I).

https://jalla2000.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/spotify-audio-quality/

• Like 3

I started using Tidal via getflix, then quickly realised just how much data I was chewing through by streaming at lossless quality. I quickly went back to Spotify (which I use on a daily basis), and honestly I haven't missed Tidal. 

• Like 1

I started using Tidal via getflix, then quickly realised just how much data I was chewing through by streaming at lossless quality. I quickly went back to Spotify (which I use on a daily basis), and honestly I haven't missed Tidal. 

+1

• 5 years later...

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-02-22/five-things-to-know-about-spotify-hifi/

https://darko.audio/2021/02/spotify-to-launch-hifi-tier-in-2021/

Launching 'later in 2021 in select markets'. 

No details on exact timing, pricing, levels above CD quality, etc. Hopefully it is only 50% more expensive than Spotify Premium (rather than double, like Tidal), and arrives in Australia this year. For those of us battling away with Tidal or Qobuz, this is yuuuuuge news.  

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, Marc said:

Beat me to it.

That's not hard to do is it. Push that early morning plate of salami and bruschetta aside and focus. ?

Spotty moving up from mp3 should be great. Wonder if we'll have a fanboi war amongst the Roon-Spotty mobs.

• Haha 2

After about 10 years of Spotify I dropped it 3 months ago in favour of Tidal for streaming quality, Spotify is still the king for content and usability so this definitely changes things for the better.

Probably won't until they offer hi-res in some way shape or form though........

• Like 2

Guest Eggcup the Dafter

It'll probably reach Australia in about 5 years' time, and longer before we can play everything at CD resolution.

There's still stuff Australian users are locked out of in Tidal. And how long have we waited for Qobuz?

1 hour ago, Eggcup the Dafter said:

It'll probably reach Australia in about 5 years' time, and longer before we can play everything at CD resolution.

I think Spotify allows free on-demand streaming (with ads) in Oz? Other countries only get free randomized streaming, IIRC, and limited skips. Hopefully that means Oz is special enough to qualify for the hi-res premiun streaming sooner rather than later.

--Geoff 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hired goon said:

I think Spotify allows free on-demand streaming (with ads) in Oz? Other countries only get free randomized streaming, IIRC, and limited skips. Hopefully that means Oz is special enough to qualify for the hi-res premiun streaming sooner rather than later.

--Geoff 

No there is only randomised streaming in Australia. You may get one or two skips before a popup tells you that skipping is available in the subscription version