Am I mad to think about this change?

So I have an updated Concert Fidelity pre ands Lamm 1.2 Ref power amps in my system - 100w all class A.  Both with top notch valves that I hunted high and low for and are sounding through my Voltis (100db).  However the Lamms are, well not pretty (yip, I'm married) and the system always has those valvy issues from time to time.  And I am also worried about 2 very expensive pieces of kit needing parts/servicing etc in the future.  Note that I purchased them second hand quite some time ago.  Now my (class A audio drug) dealer (who I do trust) has said to me that the new Pass Int25 would sound fab on my Voltis.  The reviews of it are vvg.  I could sell the Lamms and CF pre (combined about $110k NZ new + several more for the valves) for about the same price that I can get the Pass for new.  Can you please help me clarify my thinking - re a (possible) change.

Pros:

- The Pass will be pretty much bullet proof

- It has a much lower footprint

- I am not facing potential very expensive potential repairs in the future - as I could for the Lamms and/or CF

- I will not need to replace the valves (though that's a loooong time off)

- WAF factor

- Easier to turn on/off

- The Pass gets vvvg reviews

Cons:

- I already really like the sound of the system I have - it plays very very quite

- Both the pre and the power are very top end (and price when new) components - a level which I will never be able to 'reach' again $ wise

- They also get fab reviews and are rated some of the best 'kit'

- I have valves that are only a few thousand hours in (they were verrry expensive) and are well matched - a lotta life left in them

- I have not had 'issues' to date

- I would be selling (second hand) components that retail for in excess of $110k NZ combined to buy a new component (OK vvvg reviews) for somewhere in the vicinity of $12-$15k NZ (or is this flawed thinking?)

Would selling the CF and Lamms and moving to the Pass (for the same $s or so) but a sensible decision, a sideways move or...???  NOTE that there is not Pass INT25 here in NZ right now so I can't trial - alas.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Kind regards and stay safe, well and sane(ish).

Stu from NZ

• Like 1

Hi Stu

Yes flawed thinking, particularly as you enjoy the sound you are getting.

Your choice of valve equipment might be replicated to a degree in Pass amplification as most use jfet and mosfet devices, but I do not think surpassed with what you have already.  Surpassed is where you need to be with such choices, and not underwhelmed.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, metal beat said:

If your dealer will give you a listen to the Pass at home first, go for it and decide with your ears in your system 

Could not agree more. I am not familiar with this specific equipment, but clearly you are currently deriving great joy from this combo. The only question to ask is "does this system allow me to enjoy the music?" From experience, regretfully, the grass is not always greener and seller's remorse lasts a long time.

Edited by Bisguittin
Typo

How do you rank the following in order of importance:

1. Sound quality
  2. Money available now & future
  3. WAF

I am guessing that the above is your current preference. If it was reversed, you would have already changed over.  The money factor is interesting. Clearly,  you could afford to buy them in the first place. While it is not possible to predict your money situation in the future, I suspect you can afford to repair or replace should something go wrong. If that was not the case, then it may make sense to sell while it is working well and worth a lot more. 

That was the logical way. But music is emotional. If you enjoy your setup now, why change? 

• 3 months later...

Hello mate I to like CF and have been searching for a pre amp for a while, I have the 200 series mono blocks and the battery powered tube DAC and like both a lot, I have almost grabbed a pre from the US And Canada as prices are very good but I really do not want the 100 volt issue. So if you are keen to sell the pre I would be interested in a chat or alternatively I might sell the mono blocks and dac?? cheers Adam

• 5 weeks later...

To move forwards in my opinion would be to hear and consider a Lamm pre-amplifier in the system....................I have personally found that very little is as all consuming and enjoyable as Lamm + Lamm.

Have used various Lamms (SETs) for more that 20 years and never experienced any particular "valvey" issues....................Lamm recommends replacement of certain valves from time to time and provided you follow their recommendations you should not expect to have any issues.

Edited by Smp

I know it should all be about getting the best sound BUT... if you're anything at all like me, reliability, ergonomics and aesthetics are biggies.

I've absolutely loved the valve/ribbon combination I had previously but eventually found a gear combination which still sounds fabulous while also looking nice, surviving being in the living room and being usable for both, my wife, and I.

Yes, I've had better sound previously but at this stage, being able to tick more boxes has definitely made things better

Perhaps a better or alternative idea would be a top notch modern integrated valve amp. 

less boxes less valves but still plenty of power to drive your speakers and the valve sound. 

ARC , Line Magnetic , octave audio etc 

🤔??

I personally think you're mad. If it were me I would most definitely stick with those big ole Lamms!
(And I am no stranger to 'valvey issues'. I believe there around 43 valves in my current setup.)

• Like 1