Open Baffle Design....Very early doors!

If I only I spoke Dutch.....unless there is an English translation?

Amazing how much info is out there.

27 minutes ago, tesla13BMW said:

http://jdm12.ch/Audio/2016_Windows-DSP.asp gives you an idea of what is involved.  Thank fully I have someone who has gone down this route and will assist as I'm only just getting into anything other than vinyl and cd :frantics:.  The other challenge will be getting the analogue from the LP12 into the system.

You're heads spinning ? I enjoy the learning though!

32 minutes ago, deblur said:

Saw this on Audio Dandy website.

http://www.modelpromo.nl/Liionidas Open Baffle Platform.htm

Very reasonable cost.

I am using AE 15" drivers in sealed box subs. Very happy.

You can't go wrong with their drivers if in your budget.

Can these AW 15" drivers be used OB or do they need to be in a cabinet?

On 01/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, mattjtaylor2809 said:

I could end up just buying some Spatial's or PureAudioProject or speakers made by Walter Liederman (Emerald Physics).

I have some spatial speakers that you would be welcome to listen to if you like to get an idea of sound?

I have modified the xover with better caps and inductors which improved them a fair bit imho 

cheers

Peter

16 hours ago, peterpan said:

I have some spatial speakers that you would be welcome to listen to if you like to get an idea of sound?

I have modified the xover with better caps and inductors which improved them a fair bit imho 

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes please, I think the more I listen to OB speakers, the better at this stage. I'll be back in touch.

Matt

Guest niterida

I haven't read all the posts here but I would just like to say that IMO OB speakers look sooooo much better.

I would gladly have them in my room just for that reason alone :)

Good luck with yours.

Just use Google Translate to translate pages that are not in English. See here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.modelpromo.nl/Liionidas%20Open%20Baffle%20Platform.htm

If I had my time over I'd get this and install a pair of Silver 10 and W15 drivers and be done with it. Incredible value.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Can these AW 15" drivers be used OB or do they need to be in a cabinet?

AE do dipole drivers, especially designed to work in an open baffle.

Depending on room size you may need 2 per side to overcome cancellations, an effect of open baffle design.

5 hours ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Yes please, I think the more I listen to OB speakers, the better at this stage. I'll be back in touch.

Matt

@mattjtaylor2809

Likewise - I have similar speakers to PeterP. Matt, you are very welcome to come over for a listen. Mine are the Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo.

Cheers,

G

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

Just use Google Translate to translate pages that are not in English. See here: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.modelpromo.nl/Liionidas%20Open%20Baffle%20Platform.htm

If I had my time over I'd get this and install a pair of Silver 10 and W15 drivers and be done with it. Incredible value.

Thanks for the translation, I was trying to do this & you then sent the link.

Looks like you can buy the drivers he uses which the author rated more highly than his PureAudioProject drivers....which are supposed to be pretty good!

https://www.lii-audio.com/shop/

I've also downloaded the specs for his Liionidas design, not my favorite design but certainly easier enough to make, especially with the specs?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Thanks for the translation, I was trying to do this & you then sent the link.

Looks like you can buy the drivers he uses which the author rated more highly than his PureAudioProject drivers....which are supposed to be pretty good!

https://www.lii-audio.com/shop/

I've also downloaded the specs for his Liionidas design, not my favorite design but certainly easier enough to make, especially with the specs?

Keep in mind that the F15 are an older driver. The Crystal are better,  and Silver better again.  Leon rates the silver as the best he's used. He's an active member on a few Facebook speaker groups.

Looking at the SPL Vs Frq charts, the Silver 8 chart doesn't look that great with a dB diff of 20+ between 20-100 Hz whereas the Crystal 10 only seems to have a variance of about 10 dB for the same frequency range?

Crystal 10 $999 US Pair - only 10 dB diff between 20-10 Hz & nice flat curve thereafter.

They do suggest best driven via low power tubes but I have Rogue Audio M-180 monoblocks @ 180 watts ea. side?

image.png.7d8f7e347a103b78a71a311a9ba11080.png

Silver 8 - $399 Pair - 20 dB diff between 20 - 100 Hz

image.png.570f4fb3ccf4051f5392acf4b5714e99.png

F-15 Full Range Driver - $399 pair - also roughly 20 dB diff between 20-100 Hz

image.png.5d0e19debd2bc87913a142fa60400a04.png

Finally, this is the range in dB of the W-15 woofer

image.png.5e7a7440f17057f60a3d09132c9b6d4b.png

Maybe all this doesn't matter when in combination with the F15 & with his XO?

I'd prefer a 10 - 15" full range driver to complement with woofer but the Silver 10 at $1,199 US is starting to become a bit too expensive for a "side project" but as he says in the article, they are exchangeable as the XO will support all combos?

Am I looking at the wrong things?

Cheers

Matt

17 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Looking at the SPL Vs Frq charts, the Silver 8 chart doesn't look that great with a dB diff of 20+ between 20-100 Hz whereas the Crystal 10 only seems to have a variance of about 10 dB for the same frequency range?

Crystal 10 $999 US Pair - only 10 dB diff between 20-10 Hz & nice flat curve thereafter.

They do suggest best driven via low power tubes but I have Rogue Audio M-180 monoblocks @ 180 watts ea. side?

image.png.7d8f7e347a103b78a71a311a9ba11080.png

Silver 8 - $399 Pair - 20 dB diff between 20 - 100 Hz

image.png.570f4fb3ccf4051f5392acf4b5714e99.png

F-15 Full Range Driver - $399 pair - also roughly 20 dB diff between 20-100 Hz

image.png.5d0e19debd2bc87913a142fa60400a04.png

Finally, this is the range in dB of the W-15 woofer

image.png.5e7a7440f17057f60a3d09132c9b6d4b.png

Maybe all this doesn't matter when in combination with the F15 & with his XO?

I'd prefer a 10 - 15" full range driver to complement with woofer but the Silver 10 at $1,199 US is starting to become a bit too expensive for a "side project" but as he says in the article, they are exchangeable as the XO will support all combos?

Am I looking at the wrong things?

Cheers

Matt

Supposedly the Silver 10 sound noticeably better than the Crystal 10 in his baffles. I only know what he's posted online.

I've recently built my first open baffle project being the "lionidas" using W15 woofer and Fast 8 (wide band) drivers. In my room they measure to 30Hz before dropping off which is quite the feat for a passive crossover open baffle design.  

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Having been playing with OB designs for a number of years I think that the best bass comes from at least 2 X 15 inch drivers mounted in a V located in the middle of the other drivers.

That location will not be an easy sell but I think it is the best.

An issue with that is that the connections for the channels need to be swapped side to side, LH channel bass to the RH bass speaker and RH channel bass to the LH bass speaker.

I know it sounds weird to wire this way but it is easy to try but worth the effort.

P1020178.JPG.2677fd8d2fefa6e441ae4849265ee466.JPG

The use of a miniDSP or similar will also aid in getting the frequency response, levels and phase to be more easily sorted rather than using passive components.

Try to use drivers that need little or no crossover components (natural roll offs) and are of high efficiency.

I wish you well in your endeavours, the effort in getting an OB system up and running, is in my opinion very worthwhile.

• Like 1

Here is a photo of my speakers using an inferior Passive crossover design of a proffesional speaker designer Leon Huijgen. The design can be found 

http://www.modelpromo.nl/The Liiondias Open Baffle Speaker.htm or on facebook group Lii Audio Hifi Drivers & Speakers Team or on Leons FB posts.

image.thumb.png.6a73fd832a02420eec5164974b309a26.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, niss_man said:

Here is a photo of my speakers using an inferior Passive crossover design of a proffesional speaker designer Leon Huijgen. The design can be found 

http://www.modelpromo.nl/The Liiondias Open Baffle Speaker.htm or on facebook group Lii Audio Hifi Drivers & Speakers Team or on Leons FB posts.

image.thumb.png.6a73fd832a02420eec5164974b309a26.png

I'd not call passive inferior at all, though I know there are those that do.

• Like 1

Righteo....here goes me being stoopid.

image.png.ac03287d3f8945ce68c591205dfda4fb.png

Basics...

I'm assuming an Inductor (to reduce HF going to the woofer?)

I'm not sure how to read the specs, is x5 6mH....Low RDC??

image.png.220cc5976eb691112e4059cce0a17ecc.png

These are Capacitors? (reducing low freq to tweeters)?

image.png.cd826d99cdb5a5bc349545291367db6a.png

Are these then depicting resistors? (reducing the amount of power directed to each speaker)?

Is this saying x1 1.2Ohm or is it x1 2 Ohm?

image.png.4deba52b353ada73731c628990cffeaa.png 

x6 8 ohm....20 watts?

image.png.dc38799673ad3ec2dd839625a0b463cf.png

The schematic also suggest this design has x2 woofers or is this just a dipole design of the W-15 which has x2 different binding posts?

image.png.6986ea06fac8329b817030897a313fb4.png

Finally, is this suggesting there is a 2nd tweeter....I don't see this in the pictures of the actual speakers?

image.png.46e4116dc3ae5e8025e6c2529c497528.png

As I said, I'm a newby at this, I enjoy the learning though.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by mattjtaylor2809
  • Love 1