Recommend me a $2k headphone

9 hours ago, redrich2000 said:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Ethers though. They are very similar tonally to the 6XX, I use them without any of the foam inserts. They are beautifully smooth and coherent like the 6XX. On top of that they are the most amazingly built, light and comfortable headphones. If I was splurging on some more expensive open backs, the Ether Flow 1.1 or the Ether 2 would be at the top of my list. I haven't heard either but triangulating from their reviews and the Ether CX, I reckon I would love those. You'd looking at a used set though to keep it under $2k.

x2 for the Ethers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bengineer said:

DACs worth considering, all come up regularly.

Ares II

RME ADI-2

Bifrost 2

D90

SS Amps that don't suck

Taurus

Phonitor

V220 / V281

CMA600

AGD Master

Flux Labs

Tube

DarkVoice (with right tubes, cheap)

Bottlehead Anything

Lyr 3

Feliks Audio

Obviously heaps of other options, but more and more uncommon. Like the Holo Cyan or a Soekris, no-one has them

Wow - great advice! I've been looking for an SS amp/dac headphone setup for my Focal Clears and had found it quite overwhelming (especially for those that are not easily auditioned in AUS eg Flux)!

Has anyone had experience with the Rupert Neve RNHP and have any thoughts on how it compares to the SS amps mentioned. It seems to get good reviews and is available at a reasonable price.

Edited by indy500

5 minutes ago, indy500 said:

Wow - great advice! I've been looking for an SS amp/dac headphone setup for my Focal Clears and had found it quite overwhelming (especially for those that are not easily auditioned in AUS eg Flux)!

Has anyone had experience with the Rupert Neve RNHP and have any thoughts on how it compares to the SS amps mentioned. It seems to get good reviews and is available at a reasonable price.

People seem to like it. Seems to not stay in people's systems though. I believe it to be on the warmer side, and a touch smooth. What price is it in Aus?

The Jotunheim pops up used a lot, decent value if you can get around $400.

Rebel Amp make one too. I emailed the owner asking a few question. Ended up not buying but he offered me free postage!

I was placing the Sennheiser HE-1 for $85,000 from AudioConnection into my cart and noticed they were charging $25 for shipping at checkout so I cancelled the order. Come on, least they could do is give free shipping with these things.

https://audioconnection.com.au/products/sennheiser-he-1?variant=7206615515185

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bruc3 said:

I was placing the Sennheiser HE-1 for $85,000 from AudioConnection into my cart and noticed they were charging $25 for shipping at checkout so I cancelled the order. Come on, least they could do is give free shipping with these things.

https://audioconnection.com.au/products/sennheiser-he-1?variant=7206615515185

That's probably the set I got to try out 2 years ago.

he1.gif.a557a1735da823412d4a13b7651ddc89.gif

Edited by deafenears
Resized image

3 hours ago, Bengineer said:

People seem to like it. Seems to not stay in people's systems though. I believe it to be on the warmer side, and a touch smooth. What price is it in Aus?

The Jotunheim pops up used a lot, decent value if you can get around $400.

Rebel Amp make one too. I emailed the owner asking a few question. Ended up not buying but he offered me free postage!

The RNHP is available for just under $1k AUS:

https://www.turramusic.com.au/rupert-neve-designs-rnhp

Do you have any thoughts on the Burson Conductor compared to the others mentioned?

They seem to be well regarded as a 'all in one' amp/dac.

Similar to the OP (1.5-2k). I like the Focal 'house sound'; am currently running the Clear off a Chord Mojo.

I dropped into A2A today and tried the Focal with a Burson Conductor and the pairing was too bright for me, so will have to strike that off the list! I did enjoy the Moon 230 with the Clears though.

Edited by indy500

I also had a HD6XX and was set on getting the HD800S. I’d heard it a couple years prior at David Jones with its matching amp. It was outstanding.

Then I went to A2A and tried all their open headphones around that price. LCD-X and 2 and 3. Tried a Sony. Tried Hi-Fi man. I tried Focal elear and then the Clear (much more clear and a more noticeable improvement from the HD6XX). Went back and forth with the HD800S and the Clear, then chose the Clear. Oh I tried the Utopia briefly, but fortunately I couldn’t hear much difference so quickly put it back...

I reckon it was pretty even between the HD800S and the Clears, but the Clears had more weight, better bass. HD800S were more clear than the Clears. 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 5:03 PM, indy500 said:

I dropped into A2A today and tried the Focal with a Burson Conductor

I was going to ask what people thought of pairing the Clear or HD800S with the Burson Conductor. Was surprised it wasn't mentioned earlier as I thought they were well liked although whether they pair well with these two headphones is another thing.

9 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Bummer.

Been couple of HD800S scams lately too. So be vigilant. Paypal with the fee only, ask for photos with your name on a piece of paper in them etc.

Was not aware of that.

Anyway, I will most likely buy new anyhow, as headphones is one thing I tend to be bit fussed with hygiene/germs etc. lol

I know you can change pads, but that adds on to the cost and in the end feels not worth it most the time for me.

On 24/10/2020 at 7:15 AM, bruc3 said:

I have pretty much decide on the HD800S.

Nice, I absolutely love mine now, took ages to get them to really sing with my setup.  The ZMF Aoelus is like the big brother to the HD6xx and was my preferred headphone over the HD800s but not now.  Just as mentioned before it may take a while to get the gear to make them really enjoyable.  Still looking for upgrades but will see whats next. 

With regard to second hand HD800s's always be cautious. They extremely popular but have been around for almost 5 years now.  People still ask top dollar for the first series but when you have a month old headphone versus a 5 year old one there is plenty to be cautious about.  Check whats in box as well as the cables are expensive and the serial number to get an idea on how old they are. 

Edited by sly_bastard

Thanks, the ZMF Aoelus according to a few reviews I read is a complete upgrade to HD6xx, unfortunately no chance of trying it locally and need to order direct from ZMF.

So HD800S probably safer bet for me.

Yeah, I will just buy HD800S new.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 9:59 AM, indy500 said:

The RNHP is available for just under $1k AUS:

https://www.turramusic.com.au/rupert-neve-designs-rnhp

Do you have any thoughts on the Burson Conductor compared to the others mentioned?

They seem to be well regarded as a 'all in one' amp/dac.

Try Awave for the RNHP - the official dealer in Australia and cheaper than turramurra music.

https://awave.com.au/shop/monitoring/headphone-amps/rupert-neve-rnhp-headphone-amp/

The Burson Conductor 3X Reference is a fantastic amp.

37 minutes ago, John Buchanan said:

The Burson Conductor 3X Reference is a fantastic amp.

Do you actually own one or have personal experience with one?

As I have heard otherwise.

3 minutes ago, bruc3 said:

Do you actually own one or have personal experience with one?

As I have heard otherwise.

Yes - listening to it right now. Drives both a Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 and Mysphere 3.2 superbly, as well as a Neumann NDH20 that I have sold on.

Edited by John Buchanan