Tt Scrape

Grumpy

I played a LP today and standing there after lowering the arm I could hear a scraping noise. On closer inspection I could see what looks like the front corner of the 'cartridge', 'shell', 'needle casing'? touching the record as it spun. Can someone suggest what adjustment I need to make to rectify this problem please?

And NO I have not joined the dark side of TT'ism.

That sounds very odd Grumpy. Is the arm tube roughly parallel to the record surface? If you notice that your arm is running very nose down then I would suggest lowering the arm base (lowering VTA if you want the technical term) assuming this is possible.

Other than that I would check the screws that hold the cartridge to the arm's headshell.

Is your cantilever still in tact?

Good luck with it.

Aaron

I played a LP today and standing there after lowering the arm I could hear a scraping noise. On closer inspection I could see what looks like the front corner of the 'cartridge', 'shell', 'needle casing'? touching the record as it spun. Can someone suggest what adjustment I need to make to rectify this problem please?

And NO I have not joined the dark side of TT'ism.[/b]

Umm take the lead weight off the top of the cartridge? :)

Hi Grumpy.

If you can get your eye level at the platter height, is the tonearm Parrellel to the platter?

Its sound to me like the vertical tracking angle is wrong.

Before you adjust anything. Is their a counterwieght adjustment on the rear of the tone arm?

I would firstly check what the current tracking weight is set at.

Can you come back with a little more information please. Tony C

Hi jaspert,

That's some camera you have got, takes great shots

What made you take a picture of that?

Have you got pictures of your amplifier with black smoke coming out too?

Woofers in the speaker boxes smoking?

We could almost create a new thread with this topic. Tony C

Thanks for responding fellas. I only have an old Pioneer PL100 that was given to me. All I've done to it was put a belt on it from another old TT that has since been thrown out.

It does have a counter weight and a black plastic adjuster on the rear'

It's the same as this one that is for sale on ebay.

Hi Grumpy.

Have you ever done a tracking force adjustment on your turntable using the counter weights on the rear of the arm? If not I'll talk you through it.

Is the platter sitting at the same height since replacing the belt? Is the platter rotation smooth?

Tony C

Assuming you have a moving magnet cartridge with a removable stylus, remove the stylus and have a look. It sounds to me like your cantilever (that's the thin tube of metal hanging out the bottom with a diamond on the end) is broken or worn out. Can you take the headshell off? If so, take the headshell off and either take a much larger photo of it or take it to a hifi shop and get it checked out. Oh, and too much weight on the stylus could also cause this but it would have to be pretty heavy.

Jasper, wow, that Kontrapunkt looks pretty sick in that pic!

DS

PS: Grumpy, welcome to the dark side, feel yourself being lured in, you can't resist. :)

No I've never bothered doing proper adjustments. I have fiddled with everything on it though; curiosity that's all!

I'm sure the platter is sitting where it should be.[/b]

Gees I hope that the headshell it not being used as a drink coaster

Hi jaspert,

That's some camera you have got, takes great shots

What made you take a picture of that?

Have you got pictures of your amplifier with black smoke coming out too?

Woofers in the speaker boxes smoking?

We could almost create a new thread with this topic. Tony C[/b]

No but working on destroying the amp so i can justify getting a new one to my wife. :)

I'm a compulsive picture taker so i took one before i took it off for the repair quote.

AhHa! the problem is solved. I turned the counter weight thingo most of the way back and no scraping sound. there is daylight between record and needle housing.

Thanks for the help.

Just played a couple of tracks from a 'Living Moods' box set. Still not tempted to "Crossover" :)

Hi Grumpy, It would still be worthwhile getting the tracking force right even if your adjustments have brought it within the optimum tracking range.

Step one. Lift cueing lever to the play or down position.

Step two. Remove tonearm from its resting position and while holding rotate the counterwieghts at the rear of the arm till no weight is on the arm. This means the arm will sit parrellel to the platter without you needing to hold it up.

Step three. If you have some graph paper this is useful for checking whether the tonearm is parrellel with the platter or not. You can rest graph paper on platter with the line in the direction of the arm and check for levels.

Step four. Usually there are two devices on the back of the arm. Normally a plastic surround with numbers on it that follows the back counterweight when turned. When you have the arm balanced to the point where it is floating parrellel to the platter rotate just the marker with the numbers on it to the zero position. ( It will turn independantly from the heavier counterwieght (Usually silver)).

Step five. Dial in 1.5 grams by rotating the back counterwieght. The secondary indicator with the numbers will follow if you rotate from the rear of the arm.

If there is a round dial somewhere on the base plate of the arm set this to the same wieght as you have the tonarm weighted to. This is the antiskating which aplies a force to the sylus opposite to the centrifical force of the rotating record to ensure the stylus is tracking in a true vertical position. You can here the effects of this adjustment as when you have it correctly set voices will be stable and centred between the speakers.

Why go to this bother you ask. If for no other reason to prolong the life and reduce the wear factor on your prize vinyl.

Cheers Tony C

Thanks TonyC. I noticed the arm does sit by itself like it is balanced just right now, maybe a little too light?

I'll give the anti-skating knob a twirl tomorrow, along with the weight adjusters.

Thanks again!