How Loud Do You Have the Volume in Your Home Cinema?

TP1

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the posts in this thread are scary. Prolonged exposure to sound greater than 70 db will cause loss of hearing. 

I think I might also be getting affected by this. 

Why do people quote the position of their volume knob as an indication of the volume in the room... 

It's a bit like saying 1/4 throttle in a Hyundai compared to 1/4 throttle in a Lamborghini. 

1/4 mile or lap times people. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hytram said:

Why do people quote the position of their volume knob as an indication of the volume in the room... 

It's a bit like saying 1/4 throttle in a Hyundai compared to 1/4 throttle in a Lamborghini. 

1/4 mile or lap times people. 

Has anyone done that in this thread?

Most people (from what I can see ) are stating their Master Volume level (usually as a negative number/dBFS). If the system has been properly calibrated so that 0dB MV = 105dB peaks on the speaker channels and 115dB on the LFE channels, then most people on here will understand, and we can compare "apples to apples"

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jamiebosco said:

If the system has been properly calibrated so that 0dB MV = 105dB peaks on the speaker channels and 115dB on the LFE channels, then

And how many people have actually calibrated thier system that way? 

I would guess some, but not many 

54 minutes ago, Hytram said:

Anyone who has their channel levels set by the AVR's Auto setup program. The ones I've used all do this (Denon,Marantz,Pioneer,Onkyo etc)

This is the whole point of the "Relative Volume" scale...otherwise you may as well just use the Absolute scale (0-100 volume)

Even if someone didn't run the Auto setup, I think most (on here anyway) would know to set each channel at 75dB using an SPL meter and the AVRs internal test tones (-30dBFS pink noise)

Edited by jamiebosco
2 hours ago, Hytram said:

I would guess almost everyone.

Or like @jamiebosco said, they would have done the same calibration manually.

So -10db in my room is the same as -10 in any other calibrated room

• Like 1

To say that every auto set program on any AVR will give you 0dB MV = 105dB is utter BS. If you want to calibrate your system manually that way, then no problem. 

There is only one true way to quote how loud you listen to something and compare it with others and that is from the reading of a calibrated sound pressure meter at the listening position.. 

Way to many variables in different system's calibration to rely on volume control readings as a measuring/comparison tool, which some people are doing in this thread. 

No arguments that one person could constantly calibrate 0dB MV = 105dB on different systems if they all had enough power for the environment they are in and the speakers they are driving, but to say that every one has their system calibrated the same (I.e 0dB MV = 105dB) .... Nope. 

Edited by Hytram

Well... all I can say about this subject is I have calibrated my system through a Denon 4308 and at -20 for HD movies it is perfect, any louder you will get concerns from other members watching i.e you can actually  feel any 'explosions' hit you in the chest which I think is great...

As far as music is concerned the 4308 has a stellar DAC and at - 27 the music is pumping.

Just my 2c of wisdom YMMV. 

• Like 2
On 13/09/2021 at 9:21 AM, Axl said:

Some of the posts in this thread are scary. Prolonged exposure to sound greater than 70 db will cause loss of hearing. 

I think I might also be getting affected by this. 

I have a Gary Moore DVD-A (or maybe it's an SACD but you get the idea) that starts out similar to Floyd's WYWH...sounds like an old tranny radio then the volume picks up.  Of course Pink Floyd do this relatively gradually.  Moore starts very quiet and then explodes into balls and all bluesy rock and roll.

I did go crazy one day and cranked it up to ear bleed levels....and checked with an SPL; peaked at 127dB.  Just play that one song at that level right through and then stop.  Yes, my hearing was impaired just listening to one track at that level.  Of course, that was a few years ago but may well be one of (many) reasons I now need hearing aids.

blairy

Played my Walkman/disc man at full volume every day on the school bus to school and back an hour trip there and back. Then ran nightclubs for years at easily 110db most of the time. Hundreds of concerts and festivals, stepfathers live gigs most weekends and of course my own stereo LOUD. 
I have a hearing test every year at work and it’s better than normal hearing. 
It will probably catch up with me one day but I’d rather die with a smile and my boots on than bore myself to death. 

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow!

Hunter S Thompson

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 14/09/2021 at 8:13 PM, blairy said:

I did go crazy one day and cranked it up to ear bleed levels....and checked with an SPL; peaked at 127dB.  Just play that one song at that level right through and then stop.  Yes, my hearing was impaired just listening to one track at that level. 

Wow. Really sorry to hear this. I hope that whatever happened didn't affect you a lot.  I think I might have done some damage too with headphones and gaming in the past. This is a great hobby but definitely comes with some risks. Need to mindful for sure.

If anything was gonna make me deaf it was this toy(been shooting my whole life), or maybe an afternoon or two at @joz place.

This is a .416 elephant gun. 
I doubt one afternoon of tinkering with the volume will make any of you deaf. 

C9AB9DE0-008D-4288-B89A-C1276EC8DF86.jpeg

Edited by Jakeyb77_Redux

Depends so much on the content.

I'm usually at peak SPL = 100dB, or a bit more.... for something with very high dynamic range (20 to 30dB), like movies.    ie. -5dB .... and then the peak SPL going down at about the same rate as the average dynamic range.... so typical movies or very old music might be -10 to -15 .... loud movies and not aggressively compressed music -20 to -25 .... say around peak SPL = 85dB .... tracking a bit lower than that for content which had the loud pedal pressed down (which is a lot of modern music).