Dirac is adopted by more Ce's

Good news for those who want an upgrade from MCACC or even better another proprietary system Accu-eq  :) Will logically enable future upgrades like bass management integration for free or a fee with dirac 2.0 .?  Will Integra pre pro;s be coming back..  

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/breaking-onkyo-and-pioneer-ink-licensing-agreement-with-dirac-research.7478/

• Like 2

Dirac isn't simple... so mum and dad's running Dirac on their new AVR won't be a happening thing.

If a high end custom integrator or AV geek wants it, it could certainly work for them.

However, some companies *cough* Arcam *cough* have had their own issues in implementing Dirac, so if Pioneer / Onkyo / Integra can make it happen, it will be interesting.

BUT - the aside to the announcement is that the Dirac functionality could be entirely related to car audio for the Pioneer and Onkyo group OEM vehicle audio business, where Dirac is putting a LOT of their emphasis.

9 minutes ago, Dunnersfella said:

BUT - the aside to the announcement is that the Dirac functionality could be entirely related to car audio for the Pioneer and Onkyo group OEM vehicle audio business, where Dirac is putting a LOT of their emphasis.

They are trying to make it less complicated than the different proprietary methods of the original dirac live [one size fits all] . This announcement had its genesis a few years ago ; a good prediction from audioholics at the time ?as well as a good clue that onkyo purchased pioneer to factor in ..

https://www.audioholics.com/av-news/pioneer-dirac-partnership

• 1 month later...

Only thing I absolutely hate about Dirac is that you have to pay 399USD or more to just to enable multi sub calibration..... They should really just include that with all versions.

But it's one heck of a calibration software. But from what I've heard... Still has its quirks with the bass management side of things. 

On 07/11/2020 at 8:57 PM, buddhamus said:

Only thing I absolutely hate about Dirac is that you have to pay 399USD or more to just to enable multi sub calibration..... They should really just include that with all versions.

But it's one heck of a calibration software. But from what I've heard... Still has its quirks with the bass management side of things. 

Are you referring to the somewhat new Dirac Live Bass Control feature?

https://live.dirac.com/features/

4 minutes ago, buddhamus said:

Oh yes, I am.... Sorry is this going to be different from what they will be implementing in the Integra and Onkyos? 

No idea. But regarding the $399USD is this what it costs to enable this feature on top of the normal charge for Dirac Live?

1 hour ago, cwt said:

It depends on the CE Satanica ; Arcam you pay for it JBL Synthesis its gratis

Or another way of looking at it is, you've paid circa $13k for the JBL - it's 'free', or you've paid $8k for the Arcam  - you have to pay an additional $400

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

No idea. But regarding the $399USD is this what it costs to enable this feature on top of the normal charge for Dirac Live?

Depends.... I know Emotiva, monolith and some others you have to pay extra for the bass management module. Here's a link. 

https://www.dirac.com/news/2019/8/21/dirac-live-bass-management-at-cedia-2019

5 minutes ago, idrabble said:

Or another way of looking at it is, you've paid circa $13k for the JBL - it's 'free', or you've paid $8k for the Arcam  - you have to pay an additional $400

Kinda sucks u gotta pay for that extra bit for dialing in multi subs. 

23 minutes ago, buddhamus said:

Kinda sucks u gotta pay for that extra bit for dialing in multi subs. 

Actually according to the link provided you've also gotta pay for Dirac Live Bass Management with just one subwoofer too.

Dirac Live Bass Management, the first in a series of modular add-ons for Dirac Live, is available in two versions: Single-Sub, for single subwoofer home theater systems, is priced at $249, while Multi-Sub, for systems with more than one sub, is priced at $399.

What I don't understand is how is it different from systems that currently employ Dirac Live such as a NAD T753 V3(i) ?

https://nadelectronics.com/dirac-live/

If one scrolls down a bit you can clearly see seven speakers and a subwoofer.

image.png.70eb691b4ed02bbc31193fa0f14520aa.png

So is it different as the following which is taken from the website?

Dirac Live®
Bass Control

Correction of areas with sound gaps (bass decline)
Smoother bass reproduction in the crossover area
Bass Management on multiple subwoofers
Flexible subwoofer placement in listening space
Visual representation of the predicted bass performance (subwoofer and speaker summation)

Edited by Satanica

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

Actually according to the link provided you've also gotta pay for Dirac Live Bass Management with just one subwoofer too.

Dirac Live Bass Management, the first in a series of modular add-ons for Dirac Live, is available in two versions: Single-Sub, for single subwoofer home theater systems, is priced at $249, while Multi-Sub, for systems with more than one sub, is priced at $399.

What I don't understand is how is it different from systems that currently employ Dirac Live such as a NAD T753 V3(i) ?

https://nadelectronics.com/dirac-live/

If one scrolls down a bit you can clearly see seven speakers and a subwoofer.

image.png.70eb691b4ed02bbc31193fa0f14520aa.png

So is it different as the following which is taken from the website?

Dirac Live®
Bass Control

Correction of areas with sound gaps (bass decline)
Smoother bass reproduction in the crossover area
Bass Management on multiple subwoofers
Flexible subwoofer placement in listening space
Visual representation of the predicted bass performance (subwoofer and speaker summation)

Not sure regarding the NAD. But yeah forgot to mention that single subs need that add on too ?

3 hours ago, Satanica said:

Basically the NAD doesnt have algorithms that incorporate the bass frequencies from your sub/s with your higher frequencies ; dbm distributes the bass evenly . The  basic dirac2.0 just uses phase alignment for making your satellites and sub meld [ it doesnt have niceties like crossover manipulation ]

According to Niklas Thorin, Dirac’s GM of High Performance Audio, speaker and subwoofer sound waves bounce throughout a space and collide with one another to create crossover areas with uneven bass distribution. Dirac Live Bass Management measures and phase corrects a home theater’s speakers and subwoofers across all frequencies, even in multiple subwoofer systems, to produce enhanced bass clarity and improved bass tone evenness throughout the room. 

Its a bit analagous to audysseys seperate bass management but a lot more sophisticated when it comes to sub positioning [they say..]

23 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

What is the alternative?   Dirac (or device manufacturer) provides you with the BM product for free?

This doesn't seem like good buisiness sense to me.

100%...not sure how they will be doing it. But Ill bet my left nut the consumer who purchases the AVRS with Dirac will have to pay for it......honestly they would be better off having license attached the unit from the get go.... Ready to go. Pricing would be higher though. 

12 hours ago, buddhamus said:

honestly they would be better off having license attached the unit from the get go.... Ready to go. Pricing would be higher though. 

Exactly.   What you are saying is increase price of all AVR by $400.  Whether or not the person will use the BM product or not.

I don't think that sounds like a good idea for either AVR manufacturers.... or Dirac... or consumers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

Exactly.   What you are saying is increase price of all AVR by $400.  Whether or not the person will use the BM product or not.

I don't think that sounds like a good idea for either AVR manufacturers.... or Dirac... or consumers.

Regardless... Having to pay that much for adding a bass management module to a software.... Is a **** move.

Considering things like ARC Genesis does pretty much the same thing and it's free. Audyssey obviously does it... Although not as good. But with the new Anthems adding in automatic time time delay and distance settings..... It's pretty much levelled the playing field.

Reading Ppl have already switched from Dirac to ARC Genesis on Avs And said they got better results running Genesis than Dirac and less tweaking to get the sound better. 

Edited by buddhamus

1 hour ago, buddhamus said:

Regardless... Having to pay that much for adding a bass management module to a software.... Is a **** move.

Considering things like ARC Genesis does pretty much the same thing and it's free. Audyssey obviously does it... Although not as good. But with the new Anthems adding in automatic time time delay and distance settings..... It's pretty much levelled the playing field.

But AVR's already come with bass management from the vendor.

Having the Dirac Live Bass Management included with Dirac Live would be doubling up on some of the functionality and increasing the cost when the consumer might not actually use it.

• 1 month later...