Minidsp with Klipsch thx ultra subs

Hello everyone, I need some advice please... long story bare with me....

A few months ago I bought some Subs off a member here and when picking up he demo’d his system for me (7.3.4). Of the  three subs, two were identical (which I bought) and one was bigger in size and power. I was Amazed as to how good his system sounded especially how ‘sweet’ the bass was. 

I obviously enquired how he got the three subs to gel so well- it sounded to me like the whole room was one big speaker(if that makes sense). Anyway, apart from room treatment he also explained how he had used the minidsp and umik 1 to calibrate the subs.

At the time I was running one sub (Def tech reference) but with the two I got from him that day I thought I’d do the same and run three. And so I ordered a minidsp HD and a umik1 from Amazon.

In the three weeks it took to receive the items, an opportunity presented itself to acquire a Klipsch thx ultra 2 7.2 system and I could not resist (I had always wanted this system).

I then moved on my previous system including the two subs but I still have the def tech reference sub. 

now my questions are,

since the two subs from the thx system are run by a single external amp, will it benefit using the minidsp?

If so, how do I go about it, I’m thinking this would be equivalent to using the minidsp to calibrate a single sub?(it’s a bit confusing)

is it worth adding the reference sub to the system to run three subs?

Note: to me the thx system by itself sound good if there’s no benefit from the above questions I’d be happy to move on the minidsp/umik1 plus the def tech reference sub.

I’m still very new with the whole minidsp thing so please be kind. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Gabu said:

since the two subs from the thx system are run by a single external amp, will it benefit using the minidsp?

If so, how do I go about it, I’m thinking this would be equivalent to using the minidsp to calibrate a single sub?(it’s a bit confusing)

Note: to me the thx system by itself sound good if there’s no benefit from the above questions I’d be happy to move on the minidsp/umik1 plus the def tech reference sub.

I’m still very new with the whole minidsp thing so please be kind. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

You'll almost definitely get a benefit of EQ'ing your system including the subwoofers.

Do you have an Audio-Video Receiver with amps built in or a dedicated Processor which does not have any amps built in?

I presume one or the other and you could potentially use it's EQ system if it has one; what is the make and model and did it come with a microphone?

If you really want to use the miniDSP HD then I suggest you start here.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/home-theater-tuning/tuning-multiple-subs

Edited by Satanica
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabu said:

Not enough information for us to know?

What EQ do you have in your processor?

Can the subs be EQed seperately?

ie. Can the minidsp do anthing to them that the processor can't do?

2 hours ago, Gabu said:

If you need more SPL vs distortion... then (obviously) yes.

As for "more subs will smooth the response" .... maybe.   It's hard to guess.  Sometimes one sub, or two subs is just fine.

2 hours ago, Gabu said:

Note: to me the thx system by itself sound good if there’s no benefit from the above questions

That's why you have the mic.... to investigate your speakers+room response...  and find out if:

Your subs need EQ (that your processor can't do)

You need to reposition your subs

You need more subs

Thank you all for your responses. I use separate processor and amp (Marantz av7704 and an Onkyo power amp).

I have been reading up about the process of calibrating subs using the minidsp and to my understanding, once you level match all subwoofers, you then proceed to take each sub’s measurements with the mic being in the main seating position. 

the problem I have with the thx ultra system is that the subs themselves are passive and they get one signal from the Klipsch ultra external amp. So one signal (rca cable) goes to the thx sub amp from the Marantz then the amp devides it between the two subs.

edit*** the thx sub amp can only receive (input) a single lfe signal. It’s like a monoblock of sorts

I can probably physically disconnect one sub while measuring the other but I don’t think that solves the problem.

Edited by Gabu

53 minutes ago, Gabu said:

Thank you all for your responses. I use separate processor and amp (Marantz av7704 and an Onkyo power amp).

I have been reading up about the process of calibrating subs using the minidsp and to my understanding, once you level match all subwoofers, you then proceed to take each sub’s measurements with the mic being in the main seating position. 

the problem I have with the thx ultra system is that the subs themselves are passive and they get one signal from the Klipsch ultra external amp. So one signal (rca cable) goes to the thx sub amp from the Marantz then the amp devides it between the two subs.

edit*** the thx sub amp can only receive (input) a single lfe signal. It’s like a monoblock of sorts

I can probably physically disconnect one sub while measuring the other but I don’t think that solves the problem.

I would probably not bother with the third sub-woofer (Def Tech Ref).

It seems like the minidsp HD won't be able to help with independent subwoofer calibration unless you bought another Klipsch KA-1000-THX Amplifier so your two Klipsch subwoofers could be controlled separately.

This is an expensive option.

In the first instance I recommend to just use the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 from you Marantz processor and if you are concerned with the two Klipsch subwoofers not being controlled independently then set them up symmetrically for the sweet spot.

You could then measure with the miniDSP UMIK and REW and see how the frequency response looks.

Edited by Satanica

5 hours ago, Satanica said:

I would probably not bother with the third sub-woofer (Def Tech Ref).

It seems like the minidsp HD won't be able to help with independent subwoofer calibration unless you bought another Klipsch KA-1000-THX Amplifier so your two Klipsch subwoofers could be controlled separately.

This is an expensive option.

In the first instance I recommend to just use the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 from you Marantz processor and if you are concerned with the two Klipsch subwoofers not being controlled independently then set them up symmetrically for the sweet spot.

You could then measure with the miniDSP UMIK and REW and see how the frequency response looks.

Buying another ka-1000thx amp is not an option. I’ve already done the Audyssey cal and they sound ok to me. The output is not as much but I can manually adjust that. I will take the measurements with res over the weekend. I guess I’ll just sell the def tech sub and the minidsp HD. Again thanks everyone for your input.

21 hours ago, Gabu said:

No, I doesn't....   You'd have to calibrate both subwoofers as "a pair".

Unless your processor EQ dosn't do a good job of calibrating the subwoofers..... then there's no need to be adding more.