Audyssey calibration with 2 subs

I have just added a 2nd sub to my 5.1 setup so I re-ran Audyssey MultEQ. I added a REL T/9i to my existing T5.

Post Audyssey graphs attached, 1 sub first, 2 subs second pic.

I assume the smoother the line the better ?

The 2 subs sound better than 1 to me, does it look like I need to re-run Audyssey ?

Thanks

1 Sub.PNG

2 Subs.PNG

Does MultiEQ, allow the delay for each sub to be adjusted individually? If so, and if you have REW (Room Equaliser Wizard), then I would try adjusting the timing of the difference between the two subs by small amounts, you may be able to get rid of the small dip, though it may not be audible.

If MultiEQ only see's one sub (I am too lazy to go and look it up), and you want to get the best results, look at getting a MiniDSP 2x4/2x4HD and then use REW and a USB mike to set the two subs to work together, at their best.  The REW results will allow you to get the best delay between the subs and also set PEQ's to get the best results. 

Audyyssey passes test tones through both subs during the calibration process. Therefore I would have assumed there would be a graph for Sub 1 and Sub 2 ?

I don't have REW or a mic so that's not an option.

Cheers

Audyssey's "after" graphs are only a "predicted response" so you have to take them with a huge grain of salt, also the resolution of the graphs is horrible.

Of the graphs shown I think you have a smoother response with 1 x sub, but gain a bit more low-end output and extension with 2 x subs (probably why it sounds better) 

IMHO, perhaps even more important than a subs only response is a graph showing the phase response of your subs and speakers in  the crossover region, something Audyssey (and most other room correction software ) often messes up - because it never measures the subs and speakers together, which is fine for the LFE channel - but not so much for bass managed speakers.

Depending where you crossover is to your LCR speakers, that large sharp dip at ~60Hz in the "2 x sub graph"  may be filled in by your speakers

I would buy or borrow a Umik-1 and measure your actual after Audyssey response

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

My speakers are:

Fronts : B&W 703 S2 
Centre : B&W HTM62 
Surrounds : B&W 686

In my Marantz SR6014 receiver all speakers are set to Small and crossover is 80Hz.

Sometimes, a subsequent calibration may get a different result, mainly due to slight differences in mic tip location, background noise etc..  There is a detailed guide on how to get a good calibration result.  I don't have the link immediately to hand. If you are able to back-up your current calibration, then you could run a second cal and see if you get the same or a different result.  You can then decide which one you prefer.

I had previously missed you post stating that your AVR is a Marantz 6014.  This has Audyssey has MultEQ XT32, which supports two subs. Assuming that you have each sub connected to a sub out, rather than the two running out of sub1 and then through a splitter, each sub will have its own distances and gains. Providing the cal is good, then the distances should be fairly correct.

I am not familiar with the MultEQ app which it appears that you are using, as my Marantz predates the app.   

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I am late to the discussion. What phase setting are you running on each sub?

Although they tell you to have the phase of both subs set to '0', I have got the best results with one of mine set to '0' and the other set to '180'. Audyssey creates a delay distance itself to match the two subs phase which is why the 'distances' often don't look correct. 

It is worth trying a few different combos to see if it makes any difference in your case.  I suggest you listen to the different phase combos with a test track rather than just go by the graphs too. For what it's worth, my graphs for my 2 x SVS subs are below. I ended up with my crossovers set to 60hz.

subs.thumb.jpg.03f8b1042700f3225dc37082228507ee.jpg