Current LED Black Levels vs Projector

• 5 months later...

They have improved the Black level over the years, especially on non edge lit LED/LCD TV's, to where apart from the inevitable slight blooming when viewing White next to Black you could be hard pressed to notice the difference from a OLED TV.

But you need to have the TV's settings correct to get a LED/LCD Black reproduction to that level, and that takes time and a bit of effort to get there.

I can't wait to view the new SONY Z9j LED/LCD TV and compare them to the new A90j OLED's when they arrive in Australia to see if there has been any improvement with Black reproduction on the LED/LCD TV's.

If you buy a lower level, edge lit LED/LCD TV, you will always get Blacks looking Greyer around the picture edges, it's just the cheaper technology used that causes this, and it's something that can't be dialed out.

Where most people who complain about LED/LCD Black levels go wrong at the start, is by having the wrong basic settings on the TV.

Usually by using a gamma that is mismatched with the backlight level [You want gamma to be set at BT1886 or 2.4 and backlight should usually be set around 30%, varies with TV], too low a contrast level [should be set around 80%] and having the brightness engaged [brightness and sharpness should always be set at ZERO with a LED/LCD TV], combined with a ill considered choice with a base picture preset [You want Movie mode, which should be close to D65].....use those basic settings and you should be on your way to a better picture on a LED/LCD TV.

You can calibrate a LED/LCD TV to look pretty darn close to a OLED......It always amazes me people change TV's rather than spend a fraction of the cost involved in changing TV's on buying their own calibration meter and software.

The problem with 95% of modern TV's, this goes for any type of TV, is unless you buy at the very top tier, [one that has a ISF preset mode], out of the box, the White balance/Grey scale is bound to be way off, where on the other hand, when measured, the actual colour reproduction is usually pretty close to what it should be.

LED/LCD can tend to show this out of whack White balance/Grey scale more so than OLED, which is another reason Black levels can look Greyer until calibrated, it depends on how the TV left the factory, some are more out of whack than others.

Apart from the very top tier, pretty much all new TV's out of the box are only showing a fraction of their true potential, the manufacturers could send the TV's out fully calibrated, but they don't because each screen needs to be calibrated separately, and that takes time, which in turn costs money, which ultimately would push a TV's price up so much to where people just couldn't afford it.

6 hours ago, Tweaky said:

But you need to have the TV's settings correct to get a LED/LCD Black reproduction to that level, and that takes time and a bit of effort to get there.

If you buy a lower level, edge lit LED/LCD TV, you will always get Blacks looking Greyer around the picture edges, it's just the cheaper technology used that causes this, and it's something that can't be dialed out.

Where most people who complain about LED/LCD Black levels go wrong at the start, is by having the wrong basic settings on the TV.

Usually by using a gamma that is mismatched with the backlight level [You want gamma to be set at BT1886 or 2.4 and backlight should usually be set around 30%, varies with TV], too low a contrast level [should be set around 80%] and having the brightness engaged [brightness and sharpness should always be set at ZERO with a LED/LCD TV], combined with a ill considered choice with a base picture preset [You want Movie mode, which should be close to D65].....use those basic settings and you should be on your way to a better picture on a LED/LCD TV.

You can calibrate a LED/LCD TV to look pretty darn close to a OLED......It always amazes me people change TV's rather than spend a fraction of the cost involved in changing TV's on buying their own calibration meter and software.

Respect your opinion and everything you said but I disagree, not even the best edge lit LED/LCD panels will match closer any OLED. It's limited by the display capabilities itself.

I've owned & calibrated many LCD/LEDs (including the famous Sony XBR) and can't live with their weakness for movies in a dark room, nor recommend it for a more serious HT. Even in brighter environments, OLEDs surpass LED's picture quality, unless you watch in a sunlight daytime. I'm not inciting any OLED vs LCD/LED fight, but let's just be honest.

I know I'm a bit of stranger here with very few posts but I have lots of years as a HT fanatic in my home country prior moving to Oz land, so I think I can contribute a bit with you guys in a good manner. :)

Edited by malbuquerque306
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, malbuquerque306 said:

Respect your opinion and everything you said but I disagree, not even the best edge lit LED/LCD panels will match closer any OLED. It's limited by the display capabilities itself.

I've owned & calibrated many LCD/LEDs (including the famous Sony XBR) and can't live with their weakness for movies in a dark room, nor recommend it for a more serious HT. Even in brighter environments, OLEDs surpass LED's picture quality, unless you watch in a sunlight daytime. I'm not inciting any OLED vs LCD/LED fight, but let's just be honest.

I know I'm a bit of stranger here with very few posts but I have lots of years as a HT fanatic in my home country prior moving to Oz land, so I think I can contribute a bit with you guys in a good manner. :)

I agree about edge lit LCD/LED, I said as much in my post.

I was talking about the Black levels on a calibrated none edge lit LED/LCD TV, which is what the original poster wanted to know about.