Cheapest way to stream spotify to a dac

blybo

So my streaming integrated doesn't do spotify natively. How can I cheaply stream spotify to it's usb or optical inputs? An alternative to Chromecast audio? Seems people are now selling used Chromecast Audio's for up to 3 times their original price. Surely there must be another device out there, I can use bluetooth but it sounds terrible.

6 minutes ago, blybo said:

So my streaming integrated doesn't do spotify natively. How can I cheaply stream spotify to it's usb or optical inputs? An alternative to Chromecast audio? Seems people are now selling used Chromecast Audio's for up to 3 times their original price. Surely there must be another device out there, I can use bluetooth but it sounds terrible.

A raspberry pi with moode installed will do it. I have one with a Allo boss dac attached you can borrow if you want to get a feel for it. 

EDIT: it’s a Pi 3 so it’s USB out is famously crap but there are plenty of options to add optical or you could go for a Pi 4 which is supposed to be better

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

A raspberry pi with moode installed will do it. I have one with a Allo boss dac attached you can borrow if you want to get a feel for it. 

what sort of $$$ are talking? Would it not be more expensive than buying a Chromecast audio?

Edited by blybo

If you are apple iOS user, than Airport express is quite good. It add Airplay 2 to any speaker system and with mini optical cable to optical cable, you can connect to a DAC for digital out and you have Airplay 2 capabilities with the DAC of your choice. 

This however, does not do native spotify streaming but instead uses airplay 2.

20 minutes ago, blybo said:

what sort of $$$ are talking? Would it not be more expensive than buying a Chromecast audio?

I don’t know how much chromecast audios are selling for but this one sold in the classifieds for $85 a few weeks ago with a digital out board

You can get a raspberry pi 4 (2GB plenty for streaming Spotify) for about $70 and then all you need is a small MicroSD card for the OS. You can turbocharge them with PSUs etc but for Spotify probably not worth it. 

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Raspberry-Pi/RPI4-MODBP-2GB-BULK?qs=vtpzqDgAobldsHM6Ts7y%2Fw%3D%3D

Edited by RankStranger

1 minute ago, Monty said:

It's a bummer they discontinued the chromecast audio.

Would iPad (or old phone) > camera adapter > USB input on amp work?

I asked this some time ago and was advised it would not, as I do have an old iPad with the wider port.

17 minutes ago, ethro said:

a used PS3/PS4  optical out - > Optical in?

I'm sure this would work thanks. However, I'm looking for a small device I can tuck away and control easily. I can already use the Spotify app on my Apple TV however the UI of the app is pretty terrible and doesn't necessarily reflect Spotify use on other devices.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ and a digital output hat (eg Allo DigiOne), running Volumio with Spotify plug-in.

Controlled from a phone app or browser on any network connected device/computer.

Same sort of thing as the Moode suggestion above.

The Aiport Express is deprecated/obsolete just like the Chromecast Audio, but if you can find a refurb or secondhand they work.

I didn't know that the Airport Express had a digital output though,  so I've learnt something today.

56 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

The Aiport Express is deprecated/obsolete just like the Chromecast Audio, but if you can find a refurb or secondhand they work.

I didn't know that the Airport Express had a digital output though,  so I've learnt something today.

Oh these things are hidden gems. I have bought two of these off facebook marketplace for around $120, and have one connected with Anthem MRX720 to add airplay and another in my stereo setup.

And, yes similar to Apple's macbooks, the 3.5 jack is also a digital output jack and one only needs to use Mini optical to optical cable for digital out.

Very tiny and cute looking and just gets tucked away in the back.

I think an important distinction to be made here is whether you have a Spotify premium account and therefore can use Spotify Connect. If you do have Connect, there’s really no substitute for a Connect enabled device. If not, Airplay will perhaps sound better than Bluetooth but wont give you any functional improvement, while Connect will (ie airplay streams from the device whereas Connect streams from the network)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, :) Go Away (: said:

...another in my stereo setup.

Very tiny and cute looking and just gets tucked away in the back.

My partner has one, I didn't know what it was at first, but yes it works well for streaming to over Airplay. Hers is connected by the 3.5mm stereo socket to a line level input on her receiver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RankStranger said:

I think an important distinction to be made here is whether you have a Spotify premium account and therefore can use Spotify Connect

Yes and Yes. I can use Spotify connect on my Marantz processor in the HT room, but not on my Moon ACE integrated in the family room. My main 2ch system is the only place in the house I can't get a workable Spotify connection

Just now, blybo said:

Yes and Yes. I can use Spotify connect on my Marantz processor in the HT room, but not on my Moon ACE integrated in the family room. My main 2ch system is the only place in the house I can't get a workable Spotify connection

Do you want to have a play with a Raspberry Pi? I have one that I’m keeping for a future project but is just sitting around for now. Then you can decide if it works for you or you’d rather try something else. PM me if you’d like to organise it :) 

7 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Do you want to have a play with a Raspberry Pi? I have one that I’m keeping for a future project but is just sitting around for now. Then you can decide if it works for you or you’d rather try something else. PM me if you’d like to organise it :) 

Thanks, I'll think about it. I had to place an ebay order for some other stuff so thought I 'd check on Chromecast's and nearly choked on the prices. I might just bite the bullet and grab one despite the profiteering going on.

BTW the way, I went to eBay to buy this gravy mix, it is powdered gold this stuff

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/t18AAOSwPe1T88nP/s-l1600.jpg

Edited by blybo

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Thanks, I'll think about it. I had to place an ebay order for some other stuff so thought I 'd check on Chromecast's and nearly choked on the prices. I might just bite the bullet and grab one despite the profiteering going on.

BTW the way, I went to eBay to buy this gravy mix, it is powdered gold this stuff

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/t18AAOSwPe1T88nP/s-l1600.jpg

49814B68-FBA0-42A6-9BBD-CA389EF46D1C.gif.cbdba522d272e0958af3db0576a1b208.gif

• Like 1

i'm not sure if you are willing to add another device to the chain but with a HDMI to optical/coax adaptor you could use a standard Chromecast. in addition to spotify you also get all the other apps that cast - TuneIn Radio,  ABC Listen (including the killer postcasts from triple and double J ). some units would even let you split youtube ( or the SBS tour tracker app! hurry just a week to go) into the amp and then a TV. 

I'm fortunate my app supports HDMI in (and out) so I kinda get a psedo-Chromecast/Spotify Connect 

$32 from dickie's so you know its good (stay away from his gravy mix.... )  

https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/panatech-hdmi-to-hdmi-optical-spdif-rca-lr-audio-extractor-converter-hd-1080p-splitter-hdmia600converter/

Played around a little bit tonight and low an behold, I can now use Spotify Connect from my phone to the Apple TV app. I was sure in the past I never saw the Apple TV as a device to listen on...Thanks for all the great options everyone and I hope this thread may be of some value to others not so fortunate.

Some may be asking how, there is no optical out of the Apple TV? Correct, I'm using HDMI to my TV and then optical out from the TV to my integrated's optical input. It causes the odd lip sync issue but all good on the audio front.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, blybo said:

Played around a little bit tonight and low an behold, I can now use Spotify Connect from my phone to the Apple TV app. I was sure in the past I never saw the Apple TV as a device to listen on...Thanks for all the great options everyone and I hope this thread may be of some value to others not so fortunate.

Some may be asking how, there is no optical out of the Apple TV? Correct, I'm using HDMI to my TV and then optical out from the TV to my integrated's optical input. It causes the odd lip sync issue but all good on the audio front.

Great outcome.

I was just reading through this and thought/wondered if you have a TV with an optical out as most TVs will work with spotify connect, so optical out of the TV into the Moon ACE, but then as i read on I see you did just that with apple TV and your TV....Spotify Connect is handy like that. 

10 hours ago, houdinifangs said:

There's an Aptx-HD version of the Bludento. I've got one and when using it found its sound quality and ease of use to be very good.