Headphone out on my integrated

Hi all, I know its difficult to judge with this limited info, but I have pro-ject maia DS2 which has its own seperate headphone stage. Does it seem like it would be decent enough not to have to add a seperate headphone amp. I dont listen on the cans all that much, but if i do start to a little more and upgrade headphones, would want it to do them justice.

The only tech specs I have on it are:

Headphone output

6.3mm jack (16 - 600 ohms)
Headphone output power

430mW / 33Ohm

430mw is a decent amount of power @ 33ohm not amazing but definately a lot more than what youd get out of a portable player (about 10x more in fact). If you are curious if its a low output impedance source (which is is what you want for it to play nicely with most headphones) you can easily measure it yourself by follwing this guide and putting the numbers on a calculator.

https://imgur.com/a/KJkOJ?fbclid=IwAR2-u_3huVhhs0NMjH3o_xvgCLRSifBkOSRnzRuD3zoFr_iwcceykqJ_LQQ
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-InputOutputImpedance.htm?fbclid=IwAR2-u_3huVhhs0NMjH3o_xvgCLRSifBkOSRnzRuD3zoFr_iwcceykqJ_LQQ

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Long bump here. Can anyone tell me what sort of specs I should be looking for in terms of getting headphones that would work well with this amp? Ohms or sensitivity and what sort of numbers? Will help narrow down the candidates for when I can properly audition again.
Any help again appreciated.

The Power Rating. It will say how much it outputs, at what load.

So if your headphones are 32 ohm, and it says 425mW @ 32 Ohm, you know.

If your headphones are 300 ohm, and it only says 425mW @ 32 Ohm, then you know its going to output a whole lot less "mW" at the 300ohm load.

Another value they might give you is "Output Impedance". Generally you want this quite low for the clean solid state sound, talking under a handful of Ohm. Tube amps different storey.

1-2W @ 32 ohm is pretty common and a solid about these days. Plenty are now pushing 4-5W, which is enough to drive basically everything.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 6:21 AM, Bengineer said:

Not;

Abyss 1266

Hifiman Susvara

Hifiman HE6

Most DCA / MrSpeakers

Some other large format Planars

Everything else be ok. Especially basically everything under $1000.

Minus Focals.

You can drive any Focals even like Utopia / Stellia / Clear arr one of the most efficient TOTL headphones 

Edited by peppy
  • Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 9:27 AM, Bengineer said:

Another value they might give you is "Output Impedance". Generally you want this quite low for the clean solid state sound, talking under a handful of Ohm. Tube amps different storey.

1-2W @ 32 ohm is pretty common and a solid about these days. Plenty are now pushing 4-5W, which is enough to drive basically everything.

So I emailed them, and they were telling me the Output Impedance is 33 Ohm (as in what is quoted at the output power of 430mW / 33Ohm.
Does that sound right? If so, seems like its not super ideal?