Jump to content

Roon Users Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, dbastin said:

Thanks,

Yes, I had restarted, rebooted, etc a few times.

I noticed Tidal was missing from the menu, and discovered I needed to sign there to.

 

Weird all this signing in is needed for what appears no reason.

Do you have a Roon backup?  Might pay to restore from a backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frednork said:

I would also get very frustrated.

Thanks for the tip, I will

I will see if I can get that on ebay and give that a try next time ... tone it down to just 'very frustrated', rather than curse, completely lose it and throw something,

 

It was playing radio so all network stuff was functioning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

newb question, I've just signed up for the trial yesterday.

 

I currently have an old MacBook Pro as the Roon core (it will be it's only job), and it works great connected to my amp and I use  my iPhone and iPad as remotes.

 

but ... can I put my laptop in my study and connect an old iPad to my hifi (with a CCK and usb dac)  and then remote control from my iPhone?

if so ... please tell me how !

Link to comment
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Shhh said:

newb question, I've just signed up for the trial yesterday.

 

I currently have an old MacBook Pro as the Roon core (it will be it's only job), and it works great connected to my amp and I use  my iPhone and iPad as remotes.

 

but ... can I put my laptop in my study and connect an old iPad to my hifi (with a CCK and usb dac)  and then remote control from my iPhone?

if so ... please tell me how !

Pretty sure an iPad won’t run as a Roon core or renderer. You’ll need the laptop to be the Roon core and the iPad will be the Roon remote only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Shhh said:

newb question, I've just signed up for the trial yesterday.

 

I currently have an old MacBook Pro as the Roon core (it will be it's only job), and it works great connected to my amp and I use  my iPhone and iPad as remotes.

 

but ... can I put my laptop in my study and connect an old iPad to my hifi (with a CCK and usb dac)  and then remote control from my iPhone?

if so ... please tell me how !

Just want to make sure we have this correct.  My reading is you plan to still use the MacBook Pro as the Roon core but just want to put it in a different room and use something like the iPad as the local connection to USB DAC / amp?  If so, Roon supports that architecture, with the concept of an 'End Point'.  I am not a Mac guy but the Roon doco suggests iPad is fine as an end point.  If not a Raspberry Pi with readily available (free) software will certainly do.  The distributed architecture of Roon supports a Core Server, multiple 'end points' connecting to DACs / Amps etc. and also multiple remotes.  And, as you curently have, it also allows the Core to act as an end-point as well.

Hope that makes some sense.

Gibbo

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shhh said:

can I put my laptop in my study and connect an old iPad to my hifi (with a CCK and usb dac)  and then remote control from my iPhone?

The simple answer is, there is no app for that!  That is there is no roon core software on iTunes for ipad.  Besides that, an iPad will likely be challenged to operate effectively as a core server.  And even if it did manage that, it probably would be an inferior sound quality solution and therefore defeat the sound quality benefits of roon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gibbo9000 said:

Just want to make sure we have this correct.  My reading is you plan to still use the MacBook Pro as the Roon core but just want to put it in a different room and use something like the iPad as the local connection to USB DAC / amp?  If so, Roon supports that architecture, with the concept of an 'End Point'.  I am not a Mac guy but the Roon doco suggests iPad is fine as an end point.  If not a Raspberry Pi with readily available (free) software will certainly do.  The distributed architecture of Roon supports a Core Server, multiple 'end points' connecting to DACs / Amps etc. and also multiple remotes.  And, as you curently have, it also allows the Core to act as an end-point as well.

Hope that makes some sense.

Gibbo

 

Yes that’s exactly what I’m hoping for. I accept that the iPad can’t be the Roon core, I’ll use the laptop for that but how can I use the iPad as the end point that has the hard wired connection to the dac ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Shhh said:

Yes that’s exactly what I’m hoping for. I accept that the iPad can’t be the Roon core, I’ll use the laptop for that but how can I use the iPad as the end point that has the hard wired connection to the dac ?

Cool - the link @dbastin above pasted in seems to cover that case.  The iPad will connect to the DAC.  The Roon software is in three parts and you just need the end point part on the iPad.  Once that is on iPad and connected to network the Roon core will find it and it can be enabled as a end point.  Remote through phone (or on Core) will work the same as it does for you now.

Edited by gibbo9000
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its pretty simple. 

1. Use a USB camera kit, to provide USB out of the iPad. Then provide power to the tablet and connect USB to your DAC. 

2. Add the end point in Roon under audio settings. 

3. Select the zone and hit play. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been using Roon for almost a year now. I also prefer the SQ I get running Lightning DS on my Auralic Aries Femto, however Roon is unparalleled for enabling me to discover new music.

 

I don't think I am going to buy another year, or a lifetime membership because I can find other ways to discover new artists/music; that would change if my Aries falls over and I no longer have Lightning DS as my streaming software.

 

 

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, can someone clear this up for me?

I'm interested in a roon trial.  I have a tidal account, and either stream to my main stereo via RPi (tidal connect) or to second system via Apple TV (airplay).  

I have ipads and iphones but NO COMPUTER - AT ALL.

Will roon work for me? or do I need a pc/mac/roon core thingy?

 

If I need to buy more hardware I won't bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You will need a Nucleus, PC, NUC or Mac (or vendor music server) to run a roon core, so yes you will require additional hardware as you can not setup a roon core on an ipad or iphone.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have solved (or more correctly - worked around) my issue with Roon stopping abruptly every day or so. It turns out the linux roon core software has a long-standing memory leak to do with the network being regularly updated/reconfigured by NetworkManager in Ubuntu. Roon basically crashes on a daily basis as a result. As my Roon core machine is effectively permanently configured to the same network settings, I've adjusted my networkmanager configuration with the "configure-and-quit=true" option which just configures the network once at startup. Now if only Roon would fix their buggy roon core software for linux (and here's hoping they make a linux client one day too.)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rockfish said:

so yes you will require additional hardware as you can not setup a roon core on an ipad or iphone.

or on a RPi ...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-set-up-a-raspberry-pi-stand-alone-for-music/107282/6

... umm, but maybe ...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/pocket-sized-roon-core/123077

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/running-roon-on-raspberry-pi/109308/2

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dbastin said:

You can use a raspberry pi as a roon bridge but theres no way it has the horsepower to run roon server to act as a core.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2021 at 4:08 PM, Rockfish said:

You will need a Nucleus, PC, NUC or Mac (or vendor music server) to run a roon core, so yes you will require additional hardware as you can not setup a roon core on an ipad or iphone.


Yep thought so. Thanks for the clarification. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...
To Top